Nokia Lumia 1020 brings the innovative 41 megapixels sensor that until now has been exclusive to the Nokia 808 Pureview to the Nokia Lumia line of smartphones running Microsoft’s Windows Phone OS. Imaging has always been an advantage for Nokia Lumia phones, but with a mega sensor, advanced Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), and Nokia’s innovative imaging tech, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is taking imaging on smartphones to a whole new level.
Finally, 41MP Sensor on Nokia Lumia
Since the launch of the Nokia 808 Pureview with a 41MP sensor, Nokia consumers have demanded for a similar capability in the Lumia line. The Nokia Lumia 1020 meets this demand. It combines a more advanced 41MP sensor (second gen sensor), ZEISS optics consisting of six lenses, and OIS to deliver unmatched picture quality and clarity.
The Nokia Lumia 1020 will comfortably replace your point and shoot camera and could possibly replace your SLR camera.
When you snap a photo on the Nokia Lumia 1020 it captures two images, one at the full 40 megapixels and the other after passing through over sampling at 5 megapixels for easy sharing on social networking and photo sharing sites. In comparison, Nokia 808 Pureview can only take one type of photo at a time. Oversampling is also available on video.
The oversampling works by combining up to 7 pixels from the raw 40 megapixels image into one super-pixel. This buries a lot of details and enables up to 3X zoom without any loss of details. With such details you can easily reframe and re-zoom pictures after taking them, living what you can do with this phone limited only by your imagination. Plus the 5 megapixels image will probably be the best you will take on any smartphone. The camera also boasts autofocus, Xenon flash, and video light.
Nokia Lumia 1020 offers Optical Image Stabilisation which uses a module that includes ball bearings to achieve stability and blur-free photos no matter how shaky your hands are. Nokia Lumia 1020 comes with lots of easy to use manual setting that will be appreciated by professional and expert photographers. The camera will also set new records in low light performance.
Nokia Lumia 1020 has a 1.3 megapixxels front facing camera.
Not all about Camera
Although a lot of press about the Nokia Lumia 1020 had focused on the camera, it is also a great smartphone. It takes design cues from the Nokia Lumia 920, but is lighter and slightly slimmer. It is also built on top grade polycarbonate unibody and is available in matte white, yellow, or black.
Nokia Lumia 1020 features the same 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ display with 768 x 1280 pixels resolution, offering a great view and an ultrasensitive touchscreen that can be operated while wearing gloves or with your fingernail. The display features Clearback, which offers reduced glare for better out-door view and is protected by the state of the art Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
Nokia Lumia 1020 runs Windows Phone 8 on a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor, similar to Lumia 920. However, it comes with twice as much RAM, spotting 2GB of RAM. It has 32GB (64GB in some countries) built-in storage and 7GB free cloud storage from Microsoft SkyDrive. The phone comes with a separate GPU in the Adreno 225 to handle graphics.
Nokia Lumia 1020 supports wireless charging but will require an additional accessory, which you will have to buy separately. The phone comes with a 2000mAh which delivers up to 13 hours talktime, but you can add an additional 1020mAh via the camera grip accessory, which you will have to buy separately.
Nokia Lumia 1020 supports penta-band 4G LTE for super fast internet access offering downloads of up to 100Mbps (up to 50Mbps upload). In the Absence of 4G coverage, Lumia 1020 offers quadband HSPA+ with up to 42.2Mbps download speed. Outside 3G/4G coverage the Lumia 1020 supports good old GSM with data services on GPRS and EDGE.
It also supports Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n for connecting over WLAN networks. It also offers the Wi-Fi hotspot feature.
Pricing and availability
Nokia Lumia 1020 was launch July 26 on AT&T in the United States. It is now selling in Nigeria, China, Western Europe, Latin America and so on. Nokia Lumia 1020 price in Nigeria ranges from 83,000 Naira to 110,000 Naira.
Nokia Lumia 1020 Brief Specs
- Weight: 158g
- Dimensions: 130.4 x 71.4 x 10.4 mm
- 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ Clearback AMOLED Display (768 x 1280 pixels, 334ppi)
- Gorilla Corning Glass 3
- 41MP Pureview Camera with 1080p HD Video
- Autofocus, OIS, Carl Zeiss Optics (6 lens), Xenon Flash, Video light, 3X High Resolution zoom, Cinemagraph
- Light sensitivity: Automatic, ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 800, ISO 1600, ISO 3200
- Dedicated Camera Key
- Nokia Pro Camera app (the default camera app)
- 1.2MP Front-facing Wide-angle Camera with 720p HD Video
- Skype, Skype Video calls
- Windows Phone 8 OS
- Snapdragon S4 1.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
- Adreno 225 GPU
- 2GB RAM
- Micro SIM
- Wireless Charging (Cover Accessory required)
- USB Charging
- Colours: Matte White, Black, Yellow
- Storage: 32GB built-in, 7GB free SkyDrive (64GB in some countries)
- 3.5mm audio jack
- Microsoft Office
- Company Hub for Enterprise
- Gyroscope, Digital compass, 3D Accelerometer, Barometer
- GSM Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- 3G/3.5G (UMTS/HSDPA) quad-bands (850,900/1900/2100MHz)
- 4G LTE penta-bands (800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz) up to 100Mbps
- Wi-Fi Hotspot (up to 8 devices)
- Bluetooth 3.1 with A2DP & EDR
- Voice command/dial
- Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, YouTube integration
- GPS Navigation with A-GPS, SA-GPS, GLONASS
- Nokia Here Drive+, Here Transit, and Here Maps
- Wi-Fi Positioning
- OneNote, Wallet, Kid’s Corner
- Xbox Live, DirectX 11
- email/push email/IM
- FM Radio & Internet Radio
- Nokia Music
- GMail, Yahoo Mail, Nokia Mail, Office 365
- Music player (MP3, WMA, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB)
- Video player (HD, Mpeg4, WMA, 3GP)
- WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n (dual-band up to 150Mbps)
- Photo/Video editor
- Internet Explorer 10 Browser
- Battery capacity: 2000mAh
- Standby: 384 hours (3G)
- Talktime: 13.3 hours (3G)
- Wi-Fi Browsing Time: 6.7 hours
- Music Playback: 63 hours
- Video Playback: 6.8 hours