The HP ProBook 650 G4 is HP’s latest rendition of the ProBook line of business-focused laptops and also comes as the sequel to the HP ProBook 650 G3. The notebook features the same sturdy build as its predecessor but with a better design. It also comes with even better internal hardware for improved performance and other powerful security features at almost the same price-level.
HP Probook 650 G4 Key Specs & Features
- Windows 10 Pro 64, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home 64
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7, i5 processor, 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor
- 32GB RAM
- Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 620, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, Intel® UHD Graphics 630, AMD Radeon™ RX 540
- 377 x 257 x 239 mm
- 1TB, 512GB Storage
- 48 Wh Li-ion
HP ProBook 650 G4 Key Specifications
- Display —15.6-inch 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution display in 16:9 aspect ratio, 141ppi pixel density
- Dimension and weight — 24 x 377 x 257 mm (H x W x D); 2.2 kg
- CPU — Intel Core i5-8250U
- Graphics — Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Memory (RAM) — 6GB or 8GB DDR4 (up to 32GB)
- Built-in Storage — 256GB
- Operating system — Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
- Battery — 48 Wh Lithium-Ion
- Ports — 3 x USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x Kensington Lock, 1 Serial Port, 1 Docking Station Port, MicroSD card reader, 1 SmartCard,
Design and Display
The HP ProBook 650 G4 isn’t an entirely affordable business notebook but disappointedly, the body build does give it off as one. The laptop’s top and bottom chassis is made entirely out of plastic and is a bit thick and bulky; carrying a 2.2kg laptop to and from work every day could be stressing.
Like the previous ProBooks, the top lid with the display is held with the bottom chassis by two small hinges placed at equal distance from the left and right-hand side. The notebook isn’t a convertible as the hinges only allow for a maximum opening angle of 135°.
The screen used on this device is an LCD display which is available in two different options on the basis of quality and preference. The base model of the HP ProBook 650 G4 comes with a non-touch HD TN display panel with 1,366 x 768 pixels resolution. The second model has an IPS panel touchscreen with Full HD (1920 x1080 pixels) resolution. The display is matte and the brightness level is above 200cd/me which makes it suited for outdoor usage.
Being a business laptop, the ProBook 650 G4 comes with almost all the ports you could possibly need at work. On the right, there’s an HDMI port, micro SD card slot, 3.5mm headphone jack, two USB 3.0 port, 1 USB 3.1 Type-C, RJ45 Ethernet ports, docking port, and DC jack are located.
On the left side, the port selection includes the smart card reader, DVD optical drive, and Kensington lock. The fingerprint sensor for Windows Hello biometric authentication is also on the bottom-right side of the bottom chassis.
The keyboard is also decent enough for everyday usage. There are six rows of medium-sized keys, all with smooth surface and adequate keypress and key travel for optimal typing experience. The ProBook 650 G4 also comes with a dedicated number block.
Performance and Storage
There are about four models of the HP ProBook 650 G4 which come in different built-in memory, processor, and internal storage configurations. The base model starts at 8GB RAM coupled with an Intel Core i5-8250U CPU and 256GB of internal storage. Buyers can also choose to configure the ProBook 650 G4 with an Intel Core i7-8550U CPU and a 16GB of RAM or crank it up to 32GB using of the empty SO-DIMM slots.
Also in charge of graphics is Intel’s UHD Graphics 620 GPU which performs excellently on the average. The performance of the GPU, however, throttles when the notebook runs in battery mode.
In terms of battery capacity and usage period, the HP ProBook 650 G4 is akin to many business-focused notebooks you’d find in the industry. It comes with a 48 Wh battery capacity which lasts between 8-9 hours of usage on a full charge. Charge time, on the other hand, takes a little above 2 hours.
Depending on the storage and processor configuration you choose to buy, the price varies accordingly. The price of the base model of ProBook 650 G4 (with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and Intel Core i5 CPU) starts from USD $1,229.
HP ProBook 650 G4 Specs
Here are a few specs of the HP ProBook 650 G4:
- OS: Windows 10 Pro 64, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home 64
- Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7, i5 processor, 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor
- GPU: Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 620, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, Intel® UHD Graphics 630, AMD Radeon™ RX 540
- Memory: 32GB RAM
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 377 x 257 x 239 mm
- Weight: 2.41kg
Display & Keyboard
- Display: 15.6-inch diagonal FHD IPS eDP LED-backlit touch screen, 1920 x 1080, 15.6-inch diagonal FHD IPS eDP anti-glare LED-backlit, 1920 x 1080, 15.6-inch diagonal HD SVA eDP anti-glare LED-backlit, 1366 x 768
- Keyboard: HP Advanced Keyboard with numeric keypad
- Pointing Device: Clickpad with multi-touch gesture support, taps enabled as default
- Built-in Storage: 500 GB up to 1 TB, 256 GB up to 1 TB, 128 GB up to 512 GB
- Optical Storage: –
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Webcam: Yes, 720p HD camera
- USB Ports: Yes, USB 3.1
- HDMI: Yes, HDMI 1.4
- Thunderbolt Ports:–
- DisplayPort: Yes
- VGA: Yes
- Ethernet (RJ-45): Yes
- SD Slot: Yes, microSD
- Mic/Headphone: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2×2) Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.2
- NFC: –
- Docking Connector: Yes
- Mobile Broadband: –
- dual array microphone
- dual speakers
- HP Module with NXP NFC Controller NPC300 I2C NCI
- docking connector
- headphone/microphone combo
- HP Advanced Keyboard with numeric keypad
- Native Miracast support
- HP Smart 65 W External AC power adapter
- Battery: HP Long Life 3-cell, 48 Wh Li-ion
- Use Time: up to 14 hours 30 minutes