iPhone 5S is Apple’s 2013 flagship smartphone, replacing the iPhone 5 from the top. It is an upgrade to the iPhone 5 with faster processors, better cameras, and the innovative fingerprint scanner feature Touch ID. Apple iPhone 5S comes in a sleeker design, though slightly taller. The iPhone 8 is Apple’s latest flagship.
Where to Buy an iPhone
Fingerprint Identity Sensor
Fingerprint scanner (Touch ID) is possibly the most revolutionary feature of the iPhone 5S. The fingerprint sensor is built into the Home button. The ring around the Home button is a sensor that turns on the fingerprint scanner. You can simply unlock your iPhone 5S by touching the Home button.
The user’s fingerprint is encrypted and securely stored on your phone and will not be accessible to apps or Apple’s servers or iCloud. Touch ID will herald the emergence of secure fingerprint log-ins on our smart phones, something you should expect other smartphone vendors to start emulating in months, assuming there are no patent hurdles to surmount.
Checkout the iPhone 7 Plus.
Hardware & Software
The Apple iPhone 5S comes with the new and more powerful Apple A7 processor with 64-bit architecture. According to Apple, the iPhone 5S is twice as fast as its predecessor with 5 times faster graphics. It is not clear the amount of loaded RAM, but a 2GB RAM is very likely.
You may also consider the iPhone 6S
Display & Camera
Apple iPhone 5S comes with the same 4.0-inch Retina Display with a resolution of 640 x 1136 pixels as the iPhone 5. It features an 8 megapixels iSight camera with a new five-element lens on the back with 1080p HD video recording, dual-LED flash, Panorama, and a BSI sensor for better photos in low light. It also has Slo-mo video capability.
On the front is a similar 1.2 megapixels camera with 720p HD video recording for FaceTime video calling. It adds a BSI (Backside Illumination) sensor that allows for more light to get through leading to better images in low light.
The more recent iPhone SE also features a 4-inch display, but offers more powerful hardware.
Internet & Data
Apple iPhone 5S features superfast 4G LTE and also supports the slower but still superfast HSPA+ (up to 42mbps) with GPRS/EDGE fallback. There is also a CDMA models offering 4G LTE with EV-DO Rev A and Rev B.
The new iPhone 5S also features Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n with dual-band 802.11n capable of delivering up to 150mbps downloads. It also has a mobile hotspot feature for wireless sharing of your data plan with other wireless devices.
Price and Availability
Apple iPhone 5S is available in 10 countries namely United States, Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore on September 20, 2013.
iPhone 5S is currently available in Nigeria at Jumia and a few other online stores. iPhone 5S Price in Nigeria ranges from N105,000 to N160,000 depending on your location and built-in storage.
Apple iPhone 5S Specs:
Here are a few Specs for the Apple iPhone 5S:
- Status: Available, since October, 2013
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- Operating System: iOS 7
- Processor: Apple A7 Processor with M7 motion co-processor
- Display: 4.0-inch Retina Display (1136 x 640 pixels, 326 ppi)
- Corning Gorilla Glass
- Security: Fingerprint Scanner (Touch ID) for unlocking phone and buying apps
- Colours: Gold, Silver, or Space Gray
- Weight: 112 g
- Dimensions: 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm
- Rear Camera: 8 MP iSight Camera with BSI sensor, 1080p HD video, Dual-LED Flash
- Sapphire Crystal Lens Cover, Five Element Lens, Hybrid IR Filter, Burst Mode, Auto focus
- Front Camera: 1.2 MP FaceTime Camera with BSI sensor, 720p HD video
- Siri Intelligent Digital Assistant
- 2GB RAM ?
- Storage: 16 GB, 32 GB, or 64 GB
- 3.5mm jack
- Lightning connector (8-pin all digital connector replaces the 30-pin connector)
- Tri-axis gyroscope, Accelerometer, proximity sensor, digital compass
- Bluetooth 4.0
- GSM Quad-band GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- WCDMA/HSPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- 4G LTE (up to 100Mbps)
- CDMA/EVDO Rev A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz) (CDMA models)
- Apple iMessage messaging service
- Navigation with A-GPS/Wi-Fi/Cellular
- Apple Maps
- email/push email/IM
- Music player (MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, WAV, AMR, MIDI)
- Video player (MPEG4, H.263, H.264, DivX)
- WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n, Dual-band with Wi-Fi hotspot
- Photo/Video editor
- WAP 2.0/XHTML/HTML browser
- Battery capacity: N/A
- Talktime: up to 10 hours (3G)
- Internet Use: up to 8 hours (3G), up to 10 hours (4G LTE or Wi-Fi)
- Audio Playback: up to 10 hours
- Video Playback: up to 40 hours
- Standby time: up to 250 hours