HTC wants you to view the Desire Eye as your go-to camera for the photographer at heart – and this new smartphone doesn’t disappoint. HTC Desire Eye takes many of HTC’s flagship features and places them in a smartphone in which photography is the major emphasis.
Hardware & Software
With a 5.2-inch display with a 1920 x 1080p screen resolution, a 2.3Ghz Qualcomm’s quad-core Snapdragon 801 Processor, 2GB of RAM, contains a minimum 16GB of internal storage with expandable memory storage (8.9GB after Sense UI and stock Android features are excluded) by way of a microSD card slot (128GB of additional memory expansion possible), and a 2,400mAh battery, the HTC Desire Eye offers a solid hardware.
The BOOMSound audio speakers return in the HTC Desire Eye as they were in the HTC One M7 and HTC One M8, so we’re not surprised that HTC’s audio quality makes the device excellent when it comes to listening to your music without the headphones plugged in. HTC’s audio quality is a feature that has been implemented in the new Motorola Nexus 6 smartphone and the HTC Nexus 9 tablet, and HTC will forever be remembered as having been a huge mover and shaker in excellent audio quality and design within the smartphone experience.
How It Stands Out from the Pack
To combat the success of Sony’s water-resistant Xperia Z line and Samsung’s water-resistant Galaxy S5, the Taiwanese manufacturer decided to add IPX7 water resistance to the HTC Desire Eye, making the device splash-proof against some water drops.
Is that all? Not by a long shot. What you’ve yet to see in the new HTC Desire Eye is that HTC’s not only increased the display size and added water resistance, but also added two new front and back cameras as well as photography software.
The traditional 4MP “UltraPixel” camera on the back now gives way for a 13 megapixels camera, while for the front camera, the 5 megapixels camera on the One M8, bows down to the Desire Eye’s 13 megapixels front camera with autofocus, as well as full 1080p video recording and dual LED flash technology.
As with the HTC One M8 Eye, the HTC Desire Eye the Eye software features (for which the Eye software is named): Auto and Voice Selfies that allow you to use voice command to capture your perfect pose.
The Eye Software also brings features like Face Fusion to create silly face combinations of two people, Live Makeup to perfect your photo before you capture the moment, Split Capture that utilizes both the front and back camera for moments that stretch beyond words, Photo Booth recreates a familiar scene for special moments, and the Crop-Me-In feature that lets you place yourself in any photo, whether you were there or not.
HTC Desire Eye comes with Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) with HTC Sense 6 UI. It features Quick Charge 2.0, which can topup your battery to up to 60% in 30 minutes.
Pricing and availability
The HTC Desire Eye is available in Asia, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, India, and the United States, and is also headed to Singapore soon. In the US, the HTC Desire Eye is an AT&T carrier exclusive and will retail for $149.99 with a two-year contract or $549.99 off-contract.
In the UK, the HTC Desire Eye is a carrier exclusive on Three, and Three promises to give free international and 800 calls along with 4G data at no additional cost. It’s been said that Three UK will sell the device for £300-£400.
The Desire Eye will be available by way of Amazon India for India customers by the end of November. Amazon India will be the exclusive carrier of the HTC Desire Eye.
HTC Desire Eye is not yet available in Nigeria. We currently have no data on pricing or availability for Nigeria. When available, HTC Desire Eye Price in Nigeria is expected to range between N95,000 to N120,000, depending on your location.
HTC Desire Eye Specs
Here are a few specs of the HTC Desire Eye:
- Platform: Android 4.4.2 (KitKat), Sense 6
- Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core Processor (Snapdragon 801)
- GPU: Adreno 330
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Colours: White, Red, Blue
- Dimension: 151.7 x 73.8 x 8.5 mm
- Weight: 154 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single-SIM
- Display: 5.2-inch Display, 1080 x 1920 pixels (424ppi)
- Display Protection: –
- Rear Camera: 13 MP Camera, dual-LED Flash, 1080p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, HDR, Geo-tagging, Panorama, Face Detection
- Front Camera: 13MP Camera, HDR, dual-LED Flash, 1080p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 16GB Storage
- Memory Card Support: Up to 128GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: 50GB Free Google Drive
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 2100MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes, up to 21mbps
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0, A2DP
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- Pedometer: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: Yes (IPX7 certified), Water Resistant up to 1 metre for up to 30 minutes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No (Download on Google Play)
- Battery: 2400 mAh Li-Ion Battery (non-removable)
- Standby Time: up to 538 hours
- Talktime: up to 20 hours