GoPro Hero5 Black is the latest flagship action camera from the stable of GoPro, finally arriving after several months of waiting and teasers – and the wait appears to be well worth it. The camera parades a more robust and durable design, when compared to its predecessors, while also sporting a touch display.
Where to Buy GoPro Hero5 Black
Build and Design
A major highlight of the GoPro Hero5 Black is that it boasts a more hand-wearing construction. It looks ready to withstand rugged handling with a matte black rubberized cover.
It is fully waterproof without any need for an external housing. This is unlike the GoPro Hero4 Black and older GoPro cameras that required external housing for water resistance.
Out of the box, the GoPro Hero5 Black action camera is protected against water damage up to a depth of 33 feet (10 metres). Of course, with the housing you can increase water depth to up to 40 metres.
Another major design change on the GoPro Hero5 Black is the addition of a 2-inch touch display, similar to that provided on the Hero+ LCD. The touchscreen lets you view recordings in real-time and is operational under water. With the single touch of a button, you can fire up the camera and start recording automatically.
The action cam is designed to be compatible with all GoPro mounts.
Video and Photo Capabilities
You can record videos of 480p up to 4K resolutions on the GoPro Hero5 Black. Its maker has also added what it describes as professional-grade electronic image stabilization to improve the quality of images.
You can capture 12-megapixel still images in RAW and wide-dynamic range (WDR) formats with the camera.
Another improvement here is that the camera comes with advanced wind-noise reduction capability built-in to deal with a common complaint of action cam users.
GoPro Hero5 Black delivers enhanced sound quality with the help of four microphones, between which the camera switches automatically to check wind noise.
Other Features and Capabilities
You can control the GoPro Hero5 Black without having it in your hands, thanks to added support for use of simple voice commands. It comes with integrated GPS that can be used to geo-tag videos and photos, amongst other possible uses.
The GoPro Hero5 Black action camera is fitted with a slightly improved 1,200mAh Li-Ion battery, which you will be able to replace. It features Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a USB Type-C port, and a micro HDMI port.
Pricing and availability
GoPro Hero5 Black is not yet available in Nigeria, Ghana, or Kenya. When available, you can buy the action cam at leading online stores in the countries. GoPro Hero5 Black Price in Nigeria is expected to range from 140,000 Naira to 200,000 Naira depending on your location in Nigeria.
GoPro Hero5 Black Specs
Here are a few specs of the GoPro Hero5 Black Action Cam:
- Type: Action Camera (Pictures and Video)
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 223.5 x 147.3 x 66.0 mm
- Weight: 476 g (with housing)
- Built-in Wi-Fi: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Waterproof: Yes, up to a depth of 10 metres (up to 40 metres with housing)
- Image Resolution: 12 megapixels
- Video Resolution: 4K Ultra HD Video
- Display: 2-inch LCD Touchscreen
- Viewfinder: –
- Storage Media: microSD memory card
- Time Lapse Video: Yes
- Continuous Photo: Yes
- Video Looping: Yes
- Burst Photos: Yes, up to 30 photos per second
- Record Video and take Photo Simultaneously: Yes
- Imaging Sensor: CMOS Sensor
- Focal Length: –
- Scene Modes: –
- ISO: Yes
- White Balance: Yes
- Exposure Value Compensation: –
- Internal Microphone: Yes, Mono Mic with wind noise cancellation
- External Microphone: Yes, Stereo Mic via a 3.5mm adapter sold separately
- OS Support: Windows 7 and Later, Mac OS X 10.8 or later
- Ports: micro HDMI, micro USB, 3.5mm jack (requires adapter), Composite TV port (requires adapter)
- Video Recording Format: –
- Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
- Battery Capacity: 1220mAH
- Charging: USB Charging