The GoPro Hero5 Session is the smaller, and cheaper, of the two latest additions to GoPro’s range of action cameras – the other being the flagship GoPro Hero5 Black. It is more of an upgrade on the Hero4 Session from last year, missing some of the features on its more-expensive brother.
Where to Buy GoPro Hero5 Session
Build and Design
Featuring a rugged design, the GoPro Hero5 Session boasts superb waterproofing as the Hero5 Black. This is despite being more compact.
After all, its predecessor was the first and previously the only GoPro action cam to come with protection against water damage without a need for a housing accessory.
You will be able to use the action camera at a depth of up to 10 metres under water. It lacks the 2-inch touchscreen available on the Black model, however.
Video and Photo Capabilities
Like its bigger brother, the GoPro Hero5 Session is able to shoot videos of up 4K resolution. It also has Linear, Narrow, Medium, Wide and SuperView FOVs like the other camera.
There are however restrictions based on selected resolution. A major difference is that frame rates of this action cam are lower at certain resolutions than those of the GoPro Hero5 Black. For example, the Black is capable of up to 60 fps at 2.7K resolution, compared to GoPro Hero5 Session with a max of 48 fps.
In terms of still images, the GoPro Hero5 Session has a lower resolution camera of 10 megapixels. It can capture images separately or concurrently to video.
Features such as burst, time lapse and night lapse are also available on this one. It can capture burst photo at up to 30 fps. Unlike GoPro Hero5 Black, however, the camera offers consumer-grade low-light performance. It reportedly lacks RAW capture and WDR mode.
The GoPro Hero5 Session also supports voice control, allowing you to commence shooting by simply saying something like ‘GoPro, start recording.’ It offers significantly higher dynamic and audio ranges than the Hero3+.
Similar mic arrangement, as provided on the Black, helps to deal with wind noise. The GoPro Hero5 Session action cam comes with a 1,000mAh battery. It offers Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a USB Type-C port and a microSD card slot. But you will not be getting GPS support or a micro HDMI port in the package.
Pricing and Availability
GoPro Hero5 Session is not yet available in Nigeria, Ghana, or Kenya. When available, you can buy the action cam at leading online stores in the countries. GoPro Hero5 Session Price in Nigeria is expected to range from 110,000 Naira to 200,000 Naira depending on your location in Nigeria.
GoPro Hero5 Session Specs
Here are a few specs of the GoPro Hero5 Session Action Cam:
- Type: Action Camera (Pictures and Video)
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 38.1 x 38.1 x 38.1 mm
- Weight: 74 g
- Built-in Wi-Fi: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Waterproof: Yes, up to a depth of 10 metres
- Image Resolution: 10 megapixels
- Video Resolution: 4K Ultra HD Video
- Display: No
- Viewfinder: No
- Storage Media: microSD memory card
- Time Lapse Video: Yes
- Continuous Photo: Yes
- Video Looping: Yes
- Burst Photos: Yes, up to 30 photos per second
- Record Video and take Photo Simultaneously: Yes
- Imaging Sensor: CMOS Sensor
- Focal Length: –
- Scene Modes: –
- ISO: Yes
- White Balance: Yes
- Exposure Value Compensation: –
- Internal Microphone: Yes, Mono Mic with wind noise cancellation
- External Microphone: Yes, Stereo Mic via a 3.5mm adapter sold separately
- OS Support: Windows 7 and Later, Mac OS X 10.8 or later
- Ports: USB Type C, 3.5mm jack (requires adapter), Composite TV port (requires adapter)
- Video Recording Format: –
- Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
- Battery Capacity: 1000mAH
- Charging: USB Charging
More on Cameras
- GoPro Hero4 Silver
- Canon Cameras
- Nikon Cameras
- Sony Cameras
- Camera Accessories
- Compare Camera Prices