XBox One S is a refresh of the original XBox One. It now offers a more compact design, features 4K up-scaling for games, and 4K media and HDR support. XBox One S also comes with an Ultra HD Blu-Ray player and now has the power supply built-in.
XBox One S Key Specs & Features
- 1.75GHz 8-core x86 64-bit AMD Jaguar Processor
- 1.4 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon Graphics
- 4K HDR Video Support
- 8GB GDDR5 RAM
- 500GB HDD, 1TB HDD, 2TB HDD Storage
- 1 XBox Wireless Controller Included
- Dual-band Wi-Fi
XBox One S offers a more compact design. It is 40% smaller than the original XBox One. The new console can stand in a vertical orientation with no risk of cracking your disc. This means you can keep the console flat or vertically, depending on the space available.
Another major design change in the XBox One S is that Microsoft is now incorporating the power supply unit into the console, eliminating the separate power supply brick of the earlier console. XBox One S is available in white, red, storm grey, or deep blue.
XBox One S offers three USB 3.0 ports, one HDMI 2.0 port and Bluetooth 4.0. The updated console now supports dual-band Wi-Fi. XBox One S no-longer have a dedicated Kinect port.
Kinect can now be connected via an included adapter. The console is also equipped with an Infrared blaster, which could enable full remote control of your TV and possibly other electronics via the XBox App.
XBox One S comes with an Ultra-HD (4K) Blu-ray player, which means that unlike the Sony PS4 Pro it play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs.
Hardware-wise the XBox One S offers only marginal improvement. However, you are not likely to notice any improvements in performance. XBox One S sports an updated and more efficient 8-core AMD Jaguar processor, which still clocks at the same 1.75GHz as the older model.
The included AMD Radeon Graphics chipset is marginally more powerful than the graphics chip in the older console with the ability to handle 1.4 TFLOPS. The console offers 8GB DDR3 RAM and is available with 500GB HDD or 1TB HDD storage. There is also a limited edition model with 2TB HDD storage.
Unlike the PS4 Pro and XBox One X, the XBox One S is not capable of native 4K gaming. It however will upscale games to 4K for an improved experience for the gamer. If you want native 4K gaming on your XBox you will have to wait for Microsoft’s Project Scorpio, which is expected to be launched by the end of the year. The One S console can stream and play 4K content.
XBox One S supports HDR for richer colours and a more brilliant overall experience. The gaming consoles comes with a new wireless console that is more comfortable to use with twice the range. You can also buy Kinect for a more engaging gaming experience.
XBox One S Price and Availability
The XBox One S price starts at around $249. XBox One S price in Nigeria starts at around 145,500 Naira. In Kenya, price starts at 38,499 KSh. You can buy the gaming console at leading online stores in your country.
Microsoft XBox One S Specs
Here are a few specs of the XBox One S Gaming Consoles:
- Status: Available, since 2016
- Platform: XBox
- Processor: 1.75GHz 8-core x86 64-bit Processor (AMD Jaguar)
- GPU: 1.4 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon Graphics
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
- Colours: Red, White, Dark Blue, Storm Grey
- Dimension: 29.5 x 23 x 6.4 cm
- Weight: 2.9 kg
- Built-in Storage: 500GB HDD, 1TB HDD, 2TB HDD (limited edition)
- Optical Storage: Yes, ultra HD (4K) Blu-Ray Player
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Camera: No, but you can Buy Kinect separately
- USB Port: Yes, 3 USB 3.1 ports
- HDMI Port: Yes, 1 HDMI port (supports 4K HDR)
- Ethernet (RJ-45): Yes, 1 port
- Headphone Jack: No (3.5mm audio port on the Controller)
- VGA: No
- Digital Output (Optical): No
- Microphone: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.0
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Voltage: 110 – 220V
- Frequency: 50Hz / 60Hz
- Power Consumption: –
- Name: XBox Wireless Controller
- Available in the Box: Yes, 1 XBox Wireless Controller (Buy additional controllers separately)
- Motion Sensors: –
- Features: D-Pad, Precision Controls, Trigger buttons, Menu and View buttons, 3.5mm Audio Jack
Motion Tracking Device
- Name: Kinect for XBox
- Available in the Box: No (Buy Separately), may come with console in a special bundle
- Gesture/Motion Tracking: Yes, Gesture Tracking
- Camera: Yes, one 1080p HD Camera
- Voice Command: Yes
- Face Recognition: Yes
- More Features: Hand-free Navigation, connect with Skype for 1080p HD Video and Voice chat, broadcast game on Twitch, Cortana