The long wait is finally over for the successor to last year’s Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL both of which proved to be quite an impressive camera phone. Moreso, the Google Pixel 3 is set build on that level of excellence, hence, offering even better photography prowess.
As it appears, it features a close style of build as last year’s flagship but with a reduced bezels around its screen. As you would expect it has the latest software running from the box as well as the same flagship chipset in today’s smartphone.
Where to Buy Google Pixel 3
Amazon – See Offers
Google Pixel 3 Key Specs and Features
- 5.5-inch, P-OLED capacitive touchscreen, 1080 x 2160 pixels (443 ppi)
- Android 9.0 Pie
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 CPU with 4GB RAM
- 64GB/128GB built-in storage with no support for expansion
- A 12.2MP rear camera and a dual 8MP + 8MP front camera
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint scanner (rear)
- IP68 water and dust proof
- Qi Wireless charging
- 2, 915mAh non removable Li-ion battery
Design and Display
We all know about the flagship glass build rave that has been going on in premium smartphones. A similar build can be seen on the Google Pixel 3 which is also seen in last year’s Pixel too.
That’s a glass upper panel while the rest of the body has a matte finish. The sim slot is at the bottom near the USB Type-C which is a new style if you ask me and there’s the Active Edge feature too for launching Google Assistant by squeezing the lower part.
Compared to last year’s Pixel 2, the smartphone now as a bigger screen and yet still very much ideal for the ones who don’t like a big phone. With the 5.5-inch screen comes the full HD+ (2160 X 1080 pixels) resolution. It also supports HDR contents with always on feature too and the deep black peculiar to the P-OLED panel.
Battery and Camera
Although bigger than the battery on the Google Pixel 2, the smartphone still has a not too buoyant capacity. On it there is a 2, 915mAh battery which can only take much for heavy users before it goes off.
However, you would comfortably get to the end of the day usage on this one with normal usage. Qi wireless charging is supported and fast charge too thtothrthe USB Type-C port.
Going away from the recent frenzy to stack up the phone with cameras especially on the rear side. On the contrary, it has a single camera at the rear and a duo at the front.
It mounts a 12.2MP dual pixel camera with f/1.8 aperture, EIS and OIS also present. You would be getting two cameras at the front of the Google Pixel 3, an 8MP primary camera and another 8MP wide angle sensor for group selfies.
Like the DRAM chip on the Samsung Galaxy S9, there is a Pixel Visual Core chip set aside to improve photography on the smartphone and don’t forget there is AI integration too.
Hardware and Software
Internals include the appropriate chipset as in the other Android flagships which undoubtedly is from none other than Qualcomm except a select few. The processor in question is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 with eight core and a maximum clock speed of 2.7GHz and as usual an Adreno 630 GPU.
Recently there are smartphones that go as far as featuring 8GB RAM, however, at that 6GB of RAM is also common even in the mid-range level. Instead, what you here is 4GB RAM with either 64GB of 128GB internal storage and has Android 9.0 Pie on it.
Google Pixel 3 Price and Availability
The Google Pixel 3 price starts at $799 (290, 000 Naira) for the 64GB and about $899 (327, 000 Naira) for the 128GB storage model. The smartphone is available at Amazon for $749, see offer.
Google Pixel 3 went on sale on the 18th of October in the US and November 1, 2018 in some other region which is similar to that of the LG V40 ThinQ.
Google Pixel 3 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Google Pixel 3:
- Platform: Android 9.0 Pie
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Clearly White, Just Black, Not Pink
- Dimension: 145.6 x 68.2 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 148g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 5.5-inch, P-OLED capacitive touchscreen, 2160 X 1080 pixels (564 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Rear Camera: 12.2MP camera, 2160p [email protected], 1080p [email protected]/60/120fps, 720p [email protected], 1080p [email protected] (gyro-EIS)
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama
- Front Camera: Dual 8MP + 8MP camera, 1080p [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 64GB/128GB
- Memory Card Support:
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE-A (5CA) Cat 16 1024/75Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, v5.0 with A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265 player
- Video Player: MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (rear)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 2, 915mAh non removable Li-Ion battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes