Introducing an upgrade to the entry level smartphone from HMD global which handles the production of Nokia smartphones. The Nokia 3.1 Plus is a revamped budget smartphone with a few additions thrown in to give more value for money.
Budget smartphone market is very competitive especially in India, Nigeria, and emerging markets in general where the device was launched, which means they have to go up against the Chinese OEMs. However, HMD has been doing a lot of good work with these smartphones, so let’s see if it keeps up with that on the new smartphone.
Where to Buy Nokia 3.1 Plus
Nokia 3.1 Plus Key Specs and Features
- 6.0-inch, IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 1440 X 720 pixels
- Android 8.1 Oreo, Android 9 Pie update ready for download
- Octa-core MediaTek Hello P22 CPU with 2GB/3GB RAM
- 16GB/32GB built-in storage, up to 400GB with a memory card
- Dual 13MP + 5MP rear camera and 8MP front camera
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint scanner (rear)
- 3, 500mAh non removable Li-ion battery
Design and Display
A clean design is carried over from the Nokia 3.1 and with a bit of finesse in the form of bezel reduction.
The body is made of aluminum which is pretty much durable and with a uniform look housing the vertically aligned camera with fingerprint scanner below it.
You have Nokia branded vertically at the back and one on top of the screen too while also offering an audio jack.
On the display end, the Nokia 3.1 Plus has more display space in store for you, but keeps the resolution the same as its more compact cousin. It has a decent resolution with an aspect ratio of 18:9 and standard bezel reduction around the screen. Going up to a size of 6.0-inch from 5.2-inch on the Nokia 3.1 and with an HD+ resolution (720 x 1440 pixels).
Battery and Camera
You have an ample amount of battery power stashed into the Nokia 3.1 Plus with enough juice to get you through the day. With no fast charge support, the 3, 500mAh battery will take about 2 hours to reach full charge.
There is the addition of an extra camera to the rear making it a dual setting rather than the single setup seen in the Nokia 3.1.
Nokia 3.1 Plus features a dual-camera setup. The 5MP secondary is meant to help out the main 13MP camera out for portrait pictures. Over to the front, the Nokia 3.1 Plus has an 8MP camera for taking selfies with its own LED flash and HDR capability.
Hardware and Software
Improvements to the smartphone goes all the way to the core of the smartphone with a more powerful octa-core chipset. Now, there is a MediaTek Hello P22 processor with a PowerVR GE8320 GPU.
The 2GB RAM variant has a 16GB storage space while for the 3GB RAM option there is 32GB of storage. You can decide to increase the storage up to 400GB with a memory card while it has an Android 8.1 Oreo OS out of the box.
However, once you connect Nokia 3.1 Plus to mobile or Wi-Fi data, you will receive notification to download Android 9 Pie update all thanks to AndroidOne.
You can also watch our unboxing video of the Nokia 3.1 Plus.
Nokia 3.1 Plus Price and Availability
Nokia 3.1 Plus is now available worldwide including India, Nigeria, Kenya, and Ghana. You can buy the smartphone at leading online stores in your country. Nokia 3.1 Plus price in Nigeria starts at around 50,000 Naira.
Nokia 3.1 Plus Specs
Here are a few specs of the Nokia 3.1 Plus:
- Platform: Android 8.1 Oreo, Android 9 Pie Update Available
- Processor: Octa-core MediaTek Helio P22
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320
- Memory: 2GB / 3GB RAM
- Colours: Blue, White, Gray
- Dimension: 156.9 x 76.4 x 8.2 mm
- Weight: 180g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.0-inch, IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 1440 x 720 pixels (268 ppi)
- Screen Protection: –
- Rear Camera: Dual 13MP + 5MP camera, 1080p [email protected]
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama
- Front Camera: 8MP camera, 720p [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 16GB / 32GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 400GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: 42.2/5.76 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE Cat 4 150/50Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: MicroUSB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
- Video Player: MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: –
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (rear)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 3, 500mAh non removable Li-Ion battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: –