The OnePlus 8 packs in flagship specs with some tradeoffs, alongside a $699 price tag making it one of the more affordable flagship smartphones to purchase in 2020. OnePlus may have tapped into the big league of flagships with the OnePlus 8 Pro, but they certainly aren’t letting go of the title for having one of the cheapest flagship smartphones around.
Where to Buy OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Key Specs & Features
- 6.55-inch Fluid AMOLED Display, 2400 x 1080 pixels, (402 PPI)
- Android 10.0; OxygenOS 10.0
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+) Processor
- 8GB / 12GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB Inbuilt Storage
- 48MP + 2MP + 16MP Triple Rear Camera
- 16MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Display)
- 4300 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Taking a tour of its chassis, you discover it has the same setup on the rear setup as that of the Oneplus 7 Pro, which comprises of a centered camera bump housing triple cameras, the Oneplus logo and moniker. You also get the same curved edges we saw on the OnePlus 7 Pro.
Upfront, we have a setup that’s different from what we saw on the OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro. This year OnePlus ditched the notch system and also ditched the Pop-camera mechanism, living us with a punch-hole camera.
The OnePlus 8 features a 6.55-inch Fluid AMOLED display with a screen resolution of 2400 x 1080 pixels, a screen density of 402 PPI, and a 90Hz refresh rate.
The Cameras on the OnePlus 8 is one of the less premium features that makes it cheaper than its premium sibling. For starters, it features a triple rear camera system as opposed to the quad rear camera system on the OnePlus 8 Pro.
The triple camera setup on the OnePlus 8 comprises of a 48MP primary camera with a Sony IMX586 sensor, a 2MP macro camera, and a 16MP ultrawide camera.
This rear camera setup is capable of shooting 4k videos at 30 and 60fps, 1080p videos at 30 and 60fps. You also get to shoot 1080p slow-motion videos at 240fps and also shoot slow-motion 720p video at 480fps.
The tradeoffs here are a less powerful ultrawide camera. The Oneplus 8 Pro features a 48MP ultrawide camera as opposed to the 16MP ultrawide camera on the Oneplus 8. There is also a telephoto camera on the Oneplus 8 Pro.
Selfies are manned by a 16MP front camera with a Sony IMX471 sensor. This camera is also capable of shooting 1080p videos at 30fps.
Hardware and Software
The Oneplus 8 may not be as much of a complete flagship as its more premium sibling, but it doesn’t sacrifice the flagship essentials that facilitate a smooth experience.
Nested in this Android phone is an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, 8GB or 12GB of RAM, 128GB or 256GB of internal storage, and a non-removable 4300 mAh Li-Po battery.
The Oneplus 8 relies on only wired fast charge only. It doesn’t support wireless charge. However, you get a 30W wired fast charge thanks to its Wrap charge mechanism.
On the software side, the Oneplus 8 runs OxygenOS 10.0 on top of the Android 10 operating system.
The Oneplus 8 features a USB Type-C (3.0) port, WiFi, Bluetooth 5.1, and NFC. Please note that it doesn’t feature a 3.5mm headphone jack. Private listening possible via a USB-C headphone and wireless headphones.
Thanks to its 5G support, streaming, uploads, and downloads are capped at 5G speeds. However, you can only tap into this speed where there is 5G reception.
OnePlus 8 Pricing and Availability
OnePlus 8 price starts at around $620 at leading online stores. The smartphone costs around 440,000 Naira in Nigeria.
The OnePlus 8 was announced on April 13, 2020, and is expected to go on sale later in April. It comes in Glacial Green, Interstellar Glow, and Onyx Black.
Oneplus 8 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Oneplus 8:
- Platform: Android 10.0; OxygenOS 10.0
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 8GB / 12GB
- Colours: Glacial Green,
- Dimension: 160.2 x 72.9 x 8.0 mm
- Weight: 180g
- SIM Type: Nano
- SIM Count: Dual
- Display: 6.55-inches Fluid AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 2400 x 1080, 402 PPI, 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Gorilla Glass
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Primary) f/1.75 + 2MP (Macro) f/2.4 + 16MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, Auto HDR, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 16MP, f/2.45, Sony IMX471
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: –
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: B1, B2, B4, B5, B8, B9, B19
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66, 71
- 5G: N2, N5, N66, N41, N71, B2, 4, 7, 25, 66, 41, 48 NR: n2, n66, n41
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: –
- EDGE: –
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, 2.4G+5G, 2×2 MIMO
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1, support aptX & aptX HD & LDAC & AAC & SBC
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: –
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (Under Display, Optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4300 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 30W Warp Charge