The Xiaomi Redmi 9 comes in as a smartphone intended to pacify enthusiasts who cannot afford the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9. It offers a cheaper price tag, which can be seen as a strategy to reach customers with a lower budget. In this article, we explore its specs and price, which is geared towards helping you make the right purchase decision.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi 9
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Key Specs and Features
- 6.53-inch IPS LCD Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (395 PPI)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- MediaTek Helio G80 (12 nm)
- 3GB RAM or 4GB RAM
- 32GB / 64GB Built-in Storage, with Micro-SD Support
- 13MP + 8MP + 5MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera
- 8MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear-Mounted)
- Fast Charging (18W Capacity)
- 5020mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Xiaomi Redmi 9 design appears to be a blend of elements we have seen in the past. There isn’t anything new and neither is there anything to be super wowed about.
On the rear, we have four cameras, a capacitive fingerprint sensor encompassed in a circle that resembles that of the Xiaomi Redmi K30. You will also find the Redmui branding on the rear, which somehow indicates its Xiaomi Smartphone.
Upfront we have a 6.53-inch IPS LCD display, which has a drop notch that houses its front-facing camera. This display has a resolution of 1080 x 2340 and a screen density of 395 PPI.
Build quality came in as expected. You have got plastic on the rear, plastic on the frame, and gorilla glass 3 upfront.
The Xiaomi Redmi 9 offers a camera system that can be described as a watered-down version of what we saw on its more premium siblings.
Its rear camera department features a 13MP primary camera, an 8MP ultrawide camera, a 5MP macro camera, and a 2MP depth camera. This rear camera system is capable of videos capped at 1080p fps. It also offers HDR and Panorama for photos.
The front camera features an 8MP sensor which is also capable of shooting videos capped at 1080p @ 30fps. It also provides HDR mode for taking photos.
Hardware and Software
Under the hood of the Xiaomi, Redmi 9 is an Octa-core MediaTek G80 processor, a Mali-G52 MC2 graphics processor, 3GB or 4GB of RAM, 32GB / 64GB of internal storage and a non-removable 5020 mAh battery.
Careful observation reveals there was a drop in the processing power. It opts for the MediaTek G80 as opposed to the MediaTek G85 processor we saw on the Redmi Note 9.
On the software side, This Android phone runs the MIUI 12 interface on top of the Android 10.0 Operating system.
The Xiaomi Redmi 9 features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, dual-band Wifi Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Internet connectivity on the Xiaomi Redmi 9 is capped at 4G LTE, this means you won’t have the luxury of 5G internet speed. Download and uploads are limited to 4G speed.
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Price and Availability
Xiaomi Redmi 9 price starts around $139. In Nigeria price starts at around 53,738 Naira, 14,776 KSh in Kenya, and 806 GHs in Ghana.
The Xiaomi Redmi 9 was announced on June 10th, 2020, and became available for purchase also on June 10th, 2020. It comes in Carbon Gray, Sunset Purple, Ocean Green.
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi 9:
- Platform: Android 10, MIUI 12
- Processor: Octa-core MediaTek Helio G80 (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52 MC2
- Memory: 3GB / 4GB RAM
- Colours: Carbon Gray, Sunset Purple, Ocean Green
- Dimension: 163.3 x 77 x 9.1 mm
- Weight: 198 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.53-inch IPS LCD, 1080 x 2340, 395 PPI density
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 13MP (wide) f/2.2 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2 + 5MP (Macro) f/2.4 + 2MP (Depth) f/2.4 Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 8MP, f/2.0, HDR, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 32GB / 64GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes (Market/region dependent)
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type-C (2.0), Reversible Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Wireless FM radio (no wired headphones required)
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Google Assistant
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-removable 5020 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Fast Charging Capacity