The LG Wing 5G is a pretty device. This device is one of the first smartphones from LG’s Explorer Project and it brings in a unique design that solves smartphone usage problems we have lived with for many years now.
Where to Buy LG Wing 5G
Below is the LG Wing 5G body design and specifications.
LG Wing 5G Key Specs & Features
- 6.8 inches Rotating P-OLED Display, 1080 x 2460 pixels (~395 ppi), Secondary Display: 3.9 inches G-OLED, 1080 x 1240 pixels
- Android 10
- Octa-core Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB, 256GB Built-in Storage up to 1TB Memory Card
- 64 MP + 13 MP + 12 MP Triple Rear Cameras
- Motorized pop-up 32 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint (under display, optical)
- 4G LTE Network
- 5G Network
- Fast Charging
- Wireless Charging
- Quick Charge 4.0+
- Non-Removable Li-Po 4000 mAh Battery
Design and Display
Looking at the LG Wing 5G, the device packs a dual display. There is the main display which rotates 90° to reveal a smaller screen. Well, both screens work together to provide new usage scenarios and improve on existing ones.
Looking at this new design, you will agree with me that durability is essential here. LG says the hinge which allows the main screen swivel to make use of a dual-spring, dual-lock, and hydraulic damper.
All of these works together to prevent disconnection provides a uniform distribution of force and also absorbs shocks when swiveled.
The company further claims the LG Wing was put through multiple durability tests including stress tests, shock tests, bending tests, and touch sensors, and keypress tests.
Are you worried about the inner screen getting scratched by the outer one? Well, LG says it has applied a poly-oxy-methylene (POM) coating on the second screen that prevents it from been damaged by the larger one.
In other words, the Wing is also MIL-STD-810G certified. The device is not that heavy and this was achieved by reducing the thickness of the alloy frame and applying a perforation technique to reduce the mass. The weight of the phone was reduced from over 300 grams to 260 grams.
The LG Wing offers a 6.8-inch 2460 x 1080 screen that swivels up 90° to reveal a smaller 3.9-inch 1240 x 1080 screen behind it. Both screens have OLED panels.
LG Wing Dual Screen Offers An Amazing Usage Scenario
The LG Wing’s swivel dual-screen offers some amazing usage scenarios. For example, some of the apps will automatically take advantage of the second screen when in the dual-screen mode such as YouTube which can display playback controls or comments while the main screenplays the video.
Even music apps can also do the same thing. If you are scrolling on your app gallery, highlighted photos will show up on the main screen while the rest of the photos will show on the smaller screen.
Video editing works similarly too. Another usage scenario is the ability of two apps to work at the same time. This is to say, you can watch movies on the main screen and at the same time tweet about it on the small screen.
All these scenarios are possible on a standard smartphone but will create a split-screen and you will be distracted as well.
On the back, the LG Wing has three rear cameras arranged vertically. There is a primary camera of 64 MP that is positioned in the middle and above it is a 12MP 120° ultrawide angle camera for shooting in swivel mode while the third camera is another ultrawide angle camera of 13MP sensor with a 117° FOV, for shooting in basic mode.
LG ensures that the main camera comes with exciting features and they include a simultaneous recording from both the rear and selfie camera. Users will also get gimbal mode that allows you to use the device just as you would use a phone mounted on a gimbal.
This mode will bring what you are recording on the main screen while the lower screen displays a virtual control akin to that on a gimbal with buttons such as an on-screen joystick for tilting and panning, a pan following mode, and also a lock mode.
Additionally is a six motion sensors that work with a stabilization software to keep your videos steady. The front camera is a 32MP pop-up selfie that features fall detection which causes the camera to retract when you drop it.
Hardware and Software
The LG Wing 5G is powered by Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G chipset that is based on 7nm process technology. It has an octa-core processor running at a speed of 2.4 GHz and Adreno 620 GPU.
The inbuilt storage is 128GB and 268GB both are paired with the same 8GB RAM and you can still expand it using a micro SDcard.
Battery and Network
The LG Wing 5G has a 4000 mAh battery that carries support for wireless charging. The phone runs on Android 10 OS and it has an in-display fingerprint scanner. Other features on the inside include a 5G network, Wifi, GPS, NFC, and 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector.
LG Wing 5G Price and Availability
The LG Wing 5G pricing has not been revealed yet. However, it has been reported that the Dual screen smartphone will be available in the US.
It comes in two colors namely Aurora Gray, and Illusion Sky. In Nigeria, you should expect the phone to cost higher than the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip selling around 500,000 Naira.
LG Wing 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the LG Wing 5G:
- Platform: Android 10
- Processor: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm), Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Aurora Gray, Illusion Sky
- Dimension: 169.5 x 74.5 x 10.9 mm
- Weight: 260 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, dual stand-by
- SIM Count: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Display: 6.8 inches Rotating P-OLED Display, 1080 x 2460 pixels (~395 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Yes
- Foldable Display: 3.9 inches G-OLED, 1080 x 1240 pixels
- Rear Camera: 64 MP (wide) + 13 MP (ultrawide) + 12 MP (ultrawide) Triple Cameras, [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: Motorized pop-up 32 MP, HDR, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: Yes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (under-display)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes