The Sony Xperia 5 II comes in as a follow up of the previously released Sony Xperia 5. It is also falls in line as a slightly less premium option to the Sony Xperia 1 II. Onboard the Xperia 5 II is a hardware combo that places it in the flagship territory. What’s more, it offers immense support for top-notch smartphone gaming, smartphone photography, and lots more.
Sony Xperia 5 II Key Specs & Features
- 6.1-inch OLED Display, 1080 x 2520 Pixels (449 PPI)
- Android 10,
- 8GB RAM
- Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+)
- 128GB / 265GB Built-in storage and With Support For SD-Card
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- 8MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- IP65/IP68 Dust / Water-Resistant
- Fast Charging (21W)
- Li-Ion 4000 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The design on the Xperia 5 II isn’t far fetched from what we have seen on some of the recently released Sony Xperia smartphones. It shares a very similar design language with the Xperia 5 as well as the more premium Xperia 1 II.
Perusing the front and back panels reveals the design similarities as discussed in the paragraph above. Both the front and rear panels are covered up in the glass. You also get an IP65 / IP68 rating for dust / water resistant.
Aside from the glass covering on the rear, you will find an array of three cameras, an LED flash, alongside Sony and Xperia, which indicating the OEMs responsible for the device.
The Xperia 5 II may share the same design as the aforementioned smartphones but certainly doesn’t share the same height ad weight. In comparison, it opts for a more compact chassis, with a smaller display.
Giving enthusiasts access to the user interface, is a 6.1-inch OLED display, with a resolution of 1080 x 2520 Pixels. This is in lieu of the 4k display on the more premium Xperia 1 II.
The absence of a 4k rich display, is made up for by a 120Hz refresh rate, which will makes the UI and games a lot smoother and enjoyable.
Speaking of gaming, Sony packed in a special graphene layer that helps dampen heat due to charging. This graphene layer directs the power from the charger to only keep the fone powered on without charging the battery. This way enthusiats get to game for long with their charger plugged in, without having to bother about heat.
Enthusiasts who decide to purchase the Xperia 5 II will have three color options, which include Black, Grey, Blue, and Pink.
On the camera department, Sony is pushing performance with Zeiss optics, offering enthusiasts very capable hardware for mobile phone photography.
The rear camera section on the Sony Xperia 5 II is held in place by three cameras, which includes a 12MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.7, a 12MP telephoto camera, and a 12MP ultrawide camera with an aperture which is hinged at an angle of 124˚. This camera also has an aperture of f/2.2.
The rear cameras combo is capable of video record modes that include [email protected]/30/60/120fps, 1080p. You also get HDR mode, Panorama, and eye-tracking.
Selfies are manned by a single 8MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera is capable of shooting videos capped at 1080p 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Performance-wise, the Sony Xperia 5 II employs the same facilitators we have on the more premium Xperia 1 II. The only difference here is in the storage variants. The only difference here is in the storage variants. The latter has more storage variants.
We have got the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, Adreno 650 GPU, 8GB of RAM. Enthusiasts have the option of either 128GB or 256GB of internal storage.
We also get a non-removable 4000mAh battery and a 21W fast charging support that promises %50 charge in 30mins.
On the software side, we have got its interface running on the Android 10 operating system.
The Sony Xperia features a USB Type C port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, and NFC.
Internet connectivity here is capped at 5G LTE, which means enthusiasts can utilize 5G speeds for streaming, download, and uploads.
Sony Xperia 5 II Price and Availability
The price of the Sony Xperia 5 II starts at $950, which is translates to 364,800 Naira in Nigeria, 102,930 KHS in Kenya and 5,491 GHC in Ghana.
The Sony Xperia 5 II was announced on the 17th of September and be made available for purchase later in year 2020.
Sony Xperia 5 II Specs
Here are a few specs of the Sony Xperia 5 II:
- Platform: Android 10
- Processor: Octa-Core Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 8GB
- Colours: Black, Grey, Blue, Pink
- Dimension: 158 x 68 x 8 mm
- Weight: 163 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.1-inch OLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2520 Pixels, Triluminos display, X-Reality Engine, 120Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Wide) f/1.7 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.4 + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2
- Rear Camera Features: Zeiss optics, LED flash, Panorama, HDR, Eye tracking
- Front Camera: 8MP, f/2.0,
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: MicroSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Cat19 / Cat13 (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66) / J8210
- 5G: SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB 3.1, USB Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68, (up to 1.5m for 30 mins))
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable Li-Ion 4000 mAh Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 21W, 50% in 30 min (advertised, with the incl. 18W charger)