The Sony Xperia Pro takes amplifies the offerings of the previously released Sony Xperia 1 II, to offer what can be termed as one of the most camera-centric Android smartphone currently in existence. The highlights of the Xperia Pro includes a 4K display, its ability to be used as a viewfinder, and lots more.
Where to Buy Sony Xperia Pro
Sony Xperia Pro Key Specs & Features
- 6.5-inch OLED Display, 3840×1644 Pixels (643 PPI), HDR Support
- Android 10
- 12GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (7nm+)
- 512GB built-in storage, With SD-Card, support up to 1TB
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP + 0.3MP Quad Rear Cameras
- 8MP Front Camera
- 5G Connectivity
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- IP65 / IP68 Dust / Water-Resistant
- Non-Removable 4000 mAh Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Sony Xperia Pro’s design shares a lot of DNA with that of the Xperia 1 II, however, sony made key changes that set both smartphones apart. One of, and the most conspicuous change, is the use of a polycarbonate material (Plastic), in place of glass as seen on the Xperia 1.
This isn’t the first time we are seeing plastic on a high-end smartphone. Although not in the same price range, the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 also features a plastic covering. Although the plastic may feel inferior to glass, it is somewhat more durable. Having plastic on a smartphone intended to be a work tool can be seen as a cautious strategy.
The rear of this smartphone hosts a camera module and the Sony branding, which indicates it’s a Sony smartphone.
Sony wasn’t really generous with colour options this time. The Xperia pro comes only in black. What’s more, we have IP68 and IP68 rating for dust and water resistance.
Upfront, 6.5-inch OLED display, with a resolution of 3840×1644 pixels (4K), and a density of 643 PPI, which is unarguably one of the highest on high-end smartphones. This display is protected by Gorilla Glass 6.
The camera hardware on the Sony Xperia Pro is basically the same as that of the previously released Xperia 1 II. Is the same camera setup on the rear and the same camera setup upfront.
On the rear, we have a 12MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.7, a 12MP telephoto camera with an aperture of f/2.4, a 12MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 124˚. The last member of the quad rear setup is a 0.3MP TOF 3D depth camera. This rear setup is capable of shooting videos up to 4k @ 60fps.
Moving up front, we have a single 8MP camera with an aperture of f/2.0. Video record on this camera is capped at 1080p @ 30fps.
An Apt Accessory For Your Camera
Aside from having its own proprietary cameras that can be used for smartphone photography and cinematography, the Sony Xperia Pro also happens to equipped with features that make it a fully pledged camera accessory.
The Xperia Pro was designed to work as a secondary 4k view finder for Sony mirrorless cameras and should also work for any other camera with an HDMI port.
Initiating the view finder mechanism requires a wired connection via the HDMI port on the Xperia and the camera. The next step will launch the external monitor app on the Xperia.
Aside from acting as a view finder, the Xperia Pro can also serve as a power bank for your camera when connected via USB. There is also a provision that allows you to live-stream content directly from your camera to the internet.
Hardware and Software
Driving performance on the Sony Xperia Pro, is an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor from 2020, an Adreno 650 GPU, 12GB RAM, 512GB built-in storage with an option for storage expansion up to 1TB, and a non-removable 4000mAh Li-Po battery. Enthusiasts will also get a 21W fast charge mechanism.
The performance sheet on this device is pretty much the same as seen on the Xperia 1 II. however, we have got more RAM and bigger storage.
On the software side, it runs its user interface on top of the Android 10 operating system.
The Xperia Pro features a 3.5mm headphone jack, an HDMI Port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, Bluetooth 5.1, NFC.
Internet connectivity on here is capped at 5G, which enthusiasts living in areas wit 5G reception, can utilize 5G connectivity for downloads, streaming and uploads.
Sony Xperia Pro Price and Availability
Sony Xperia Pro price starts at around $2500 at leading online stores like Amazon. This price translates to about 950,000 Naira in Nigeria, 273,625 KSH in Kenya, 14,489 GHC in Ghana.
The Sony Xperia Pro was announced on February 4th 2020 and was released for purchase on the 27th of January 2021.
Sony Xperia Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Sony Xperia Pro:
- Platform: Android 10
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+) (Octa-core 1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 170.2 x 76.2 x 10.2 mm
- Weight: 225.1 g (7.94 oz)
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.5-inch OLED, 1644 x 3840 Pixels (~643 ppi density), HDR
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (Primary) f/1.7 + 12MP (Telephoto) f/2.4 + 12MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2 124˚ FOV + 0.3 MP, TOF 3D (Depth)
- Rear Camera Features: Zeiss Optics, LED flash, Panorama, HDR, Eye Tracking, PDAF, [email protected]/25/30/60fps HDR, [email protected]/60/120fps; 5-axis gyro-EIS, OIS
- Front Camera: 8MP Camera, f/2.0, HDR, [email protected] (5-axis gyro-EIS)
- Built-in Storage: 512GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 19
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66
- 5G: 2, 5, 66, 260, 261 Sub6, mmWave
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Type-C USB 3.1 Gen1
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: AAC-LC, AAC+, eAAC+, AAC-ELD, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, FLAC, MP3, MIDI, Vorbis, PCM, Opus, ALAC, DSD, 360 Reality Audio Music Format
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68 Rating – up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Dust Resistant: Yes (IP65 Rating)
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4000mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 21W Fast Charging Capacity