Huawei’s doggedness has once again birthed a new smartphone dubbed the Huawei P50, which is a successor to the Huawei P40 4G. As you would expect from a successor, The P50 offers features that are an improvement of its predecessor. On-board we have improved chassis design, a more capable processor, and more. Huawei also brandished its Harmony OS on this new device. More on that later.
Where to Buy Huawei P50
Huawei P40 Key Specs & Features
- 6.5 inches OLED Display, 1224 x 2700 Pixels, (~422 PPI)
- HarmonyOS 2.0
- Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 4G (5 nm)
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB Built-in Storage
- 50 MP + 12MP + 16 MP Triple Rear Cameras
- 13 MP Front Camera
- IP68 Dust/Water-resistant
- 4G LTE Network
- Fingerprint (under display, optical)
- Fast Charging 66W
- Non-removable 4100 mAh Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Design-wise, there is no denying the fact that Huawei made substantial changes that separate the Huawei P50 from the P40.
The most conspicuous of the changes discussed in the above paragraph can be seen on the rear, here we have two conspicuous circles holding the rear cameras. This comes in place of the square camera module we saw on the P40.
Also on the rear, you will find some text describing the cameras and also the Huawei branding, which indicates it’s a Huawei Smartphone.
On the front panel, you will find a 6.5-inch OLED display with a punch-hole camera in the middle, as opposed to the 6.1 inch OLED display on the former with a dual front camera cut out.
The Huawei P50 comes in Black, Gold, White. What’s more, it has an IP68 rating for water and dust protection, Which means there is a possibility it won’t get damaged when submerged in water.
The rear setup comprises a 50MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, a 12MP periscope telephoto camera with an aperture of f/3.4, and 5x optical zoom, as opposed to the 8MP telephoto on the P40.
What’s more, we have a 13MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2, as opposed to 16MP on the. Video recording on the rear setup is capped at 4k @ 60fps.
Moving upfront, we have a 13MP selfie camera with an aperture of f/2.4, as opposed to 32MP on the former. Video recording on this camera is capped at 4k @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
On the performance side, the Huawei P50 rocks the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 4G processor, as opposed to the HiSilicon Kirin 990 5G on the P40 and the Kirin 990 on the P40 4G.
We also have the Adreno 660 GPU, in place of the Mali-G76 MP16 GPU. What’s more, we have 8GB RAM, an option for either 128GB or 256GB built-in storage, a non-removable 4100mAh Li-Po battery, and support for 66W fast charging.
On the software side, Huawei pushed its HarmonyOS 2.0 on here, which is a move to set itself free from the Google Android saga.
The Huawei P50 features a USB Type-C 3.1 Port with OTG support. It also features NFC, low energy Bluetooth 5.2.
Internet connectivity is capped at 4G LTE which means enthusiasts won’t get access to 5G connectivity.
Huawei P50 Price and Availability
The Huawei P50 price starts at around $712, which translates to about 293,568 Naira, 4,268 GHC in Ghana, and 77,432 KSH in Kenya.
The release date was on July 29 2021 and is expected to go on sale in September 2021.
Huawei P50 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei P50:
- Platform: HarmonyOS 2.0
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 4G (Octa-core 1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Gold, White
- Dimension: 156.5 x 73.8 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 181g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.5-inches OLED 1224 x 2700 Pixels, ~88.0% screen-to-body ratio, ~458 PPI, 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50MP (Primary) f/1.8, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS + 12MP (Periscope Telephoto) PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom + 13MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, dual-LED flash, panorama, HDR, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 13 MP Camera, f/2.4, (wide), Panorama, HDR, [email protected], [email protected]/60/240fps
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes (Shared SIM Slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: CDMA 800
- 3G WCDMA: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: 2000 1x
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes (Read-Write mode, Peer to Peer mode, Card Emulation mode (payment by *SIM card, or HCE) is supported)
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: A-GPS. Up to tri-band: GLONASS (3), BDS (3), GALILEO (2), QZSS (2)
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 4100mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 66W Fast Charging Capacity