The new iPhone 5 from Apple is here. It is slimmer and lighter and comes with enough cool features to make it competitive in the increasingly competitive smartphone market. iPhone 7 is Apple’s latest smartphone.
Where to Buy an iPhone
The major drawback of the iPhone 5 is the built-in Apple Maps which was reported as inaccurate and misleading by early reviewers, but Apple is working to make it better. Other Maps services like Google Maps and Nokia Maps are available on iPhone 5.
Sleek Design with Fast Performance
iPhone 5 is 18% thinner and 20% lighter compared to the iPhone 4S. Overall, it is 12% smaller than the iPhone 4S. Despite its sleek design, the iPhone 5 packs lots of power and features in its beautiful aluminium body. It features the Apple A6 1.2GHz dual-core chip assisted by a 3-core graphics processor, which Apple claims is twice as fast as the A5 chip on the iPhone 4S with up to twice the graphics performance.
Retina Display with iSight Camera
iPhone 5 comes with a larger display, now it is 4.0-inch diagonal (from 3.5-inch) and yes it is still a retina display, just larger with 18% more pixels. The display offers 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi with vivid colours.
iPhone 5 features an 8 megapixel camera with full HD (1080p) video recording. iSight is nicely baked into it for stunning and breathtaking photos and videos. The camera now adds a Panorama feature for taking long and angular shots. The iPhone 5 camera features autofocus, LED flash, geotagging, improved noise reduction. Apple also says it now performs better in low light.
At the front side, iPhone 5 has a 1.2 megapixels HD camera (720p) FaceTime. The good news is that FaceTime is nolonger restricted on Wi-Fi, you can now make FaceTime video calls over cellular connections.
You may also consider the iPhone 7 Plus
Apple iPhone 5 features superfast LTE, promising up to 100mbps download speed. If LTE is not available iPhone 5 also supports the slower but still superfast HSPA+ (up to 42mbps). Yes if you are on GPRS/EDGE coverage you can still access data services on iPhone 5. There is also a CDMA model.
It has 802.11 a/b/g/n with dual-band 802.11n capable of delivering up to 150mbps downloads. It also has a mobile hotspot feature for wireless sharing of your data plan with other wireless devices.
Price and Availability
Apple iPhone 5 went on sale in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the UK on September 21, 2012. It is currently available in Nigeria. The price of the iPhone 5 in Nigeria currently starts at N107,000. You can find the iPhone 5 in a few online stores in Nigeria like Konga.
More Specs for Apple iPhone 5:
- Nano SIM
- iOS 6 OS
- A6 1.2GHz dual-core Processor with separate 3-core graphics processor
- 1GB RAM
- Storage: 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
- Colours: Black/Slate or White/Silver
- 3.5mm jack
- Lightning connector (8-pin all digital connector replaces the 30-pin connector)
- Tri-axis gyroscope, Accelerometer, proximity sensor, digital compass
- Bluetooth 4.0
- GSM Quad-band GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- WCDMA/HSPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- CDMA/EVDO Rev A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- Apple iMessage messaging service
- Navigation with A-GPS/Wi-Fi/Cellular
- Google Maps
- email/push email/IM
- Music player (MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, WAV, AMR, MIDI)
- Video player (MPEG4, H.263, H.264, DivX)
- WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n with Wi-Fi hotspot
- Photo/Video editor
- WAP 2.0/XHTML/HTML browser
- Battery capacity: 1440 mAh
- Standby: 225 hours (3G)
- Talktime: 8 hours (3G/LTE)