Xiaomi Redmi 2 is an affordable and feature-rich smartphone that gives another idea of why its maker is becoming increasingly popular. Considered the successor to the well-received Xiaomi Redmi 1S, this dual-SIM phone boasts an improved design, a more powerful processor and 4G connectivity.
Where to Buy Mobile Phones
Sporting a somewhat compact look, the Xiaomi Redmi 2 is slightly slimmer than its predecessor. It is equally lighter by about 25 grams at a weight of 133 grams. The phone has rounded corners and its rear has a matte finish.
Xiaomi says the back cover is resistant to both grease and fingerprints. Xiaomi Redmi 2 is protected on the front against breakage and scratches with a tough AGC Dragontrail glass.
Display and Camera
Xiaomi Redmi 2 packs in a 4.7-inch display with an HD resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels and density of 312 pixels per inch. The quality of the screen is enhanced in that it uses an IPS panel, which is renowned for its great colour reproduction.
In addition, the display is laminated to reduce glare and improve viewing angles. Xiaomi Redmi 2 features an 8-megapixel camera with LED flash, Xiaomi’s Beautify feature and Cloud Camera roll.
The snapper has F2.2 aperture and full HD (1080p) video recording capability. For selfies, there is a 2-megapixel front-facing camera with HD recording capability for video calls.
Power and Performance
Equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor running at 1.2GHz, Xiaomi Redmi 2 should be able to deliver solid performance for a budget smartphone. The 64-bit, dual-core chip is backed by RAM of 1GB and an Adreno 306 graphics processor.
Xiaomi Redmi 2 runs the phone on Android 4.4 (KitKat) overlaid with its own MIUI 6 OS, which affords users great level of customisation. A removable battery of 2200mAh capacity is provided. This battery can be charged to 30% level in just 30 minutes using the Quick Charge 1.0 feature.
Internal storage on the phone is 8GB and you can add up to 30GB extra space using a microSD card. Xiaomi Redmi 2 also supports 4G connectivity, two SIMs, and USB OTG to allow users connect flash drives and gamepads.
Pricing and availability
Xiaomi currently does not sell mobile phones in Nigeria. According to Xiaomi the focus of their expansion for 2015 will be India, Brazil, and Indonesia. However, the company expects to be global by 2020.
So, the Xiaomi Redmi 2 may never officially sell in Nigeria. We currently have no data on pricing and availability. If available, Xiaomi Redmi 2 Price in Nigeria is expected to range from N70,000 to N90,000.
Xiaomi Redmi 2 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi 2:
- Platform: Android 4.4.4 (KitKat). MIUI 6.0
- Processor: 1.2GHz quad-core Processor (Snapdragon 410)
- GPU: Adreno 306
- Memory: 1 GB RAM (8GB model), 2 GB RAM (16GB model)
- Colours: Black, White, Yellow, Pink, Green
- Dimension: 134 x 67.2 x 9.4 mm
- Weight: 133 g
- SIM Type: Micro SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- Display: 4.7-inch IPS Display, 720 x 1280 pixels (312ppi)
- Display Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 2
- Rear Camera: 8 MP Camera, 1080p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: autofocus, LED Flash, HDR, Face Detection
- Front Camera: 2MP Camera, 720p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 8GB or 16GB Storage
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 32GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes, up to 21 Mbps
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP, LE
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0, USB Host, USB OTG
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol:
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes with A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant:
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No (download at store)
- Battery: 2200 mAh Li-Po Battery (non-removable)
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast battery charging: Yes, Quick Charge (30% in 30 minutes) –