Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime is a slightly-improved variant of the new and affordable Redmi Note 2. The dual-SIM smartphone is equipped with a faster eight-core processor, but otherwise shares many of the specifications the other device has.
Build and Screen
The handset shows off a slimmer body like Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, compared to the earlier Redmi Note. It comes in at a thickness of 8.25 millimetres – Xiaomi Redmi Note was 9.5 millimetres thick. The weight is more manageable at 160 grams, as against its predecessor’s 199 grams.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime packs a huge 5.5-inch touchscreen with a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels and an amazing pixel density of 401 ppi. That display should offer great viewing.
Camera and Storage
Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime is fitted with a competent-looking 13-megapixel snapper with LED flash and phase detection autofocus. There is also an impressive 5-megapixel front-facing camera with OmniVision for high resolution selfies.
The phablet has an internal storage of 32 GB, which you will be able to expand further by up to 32 GB with the use of a microSD card.
Processing, Memory and Operating System
Like the Note 2, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime is powered by an octa-core MediaTek Helio X10 processor, but this one runs faster at up to 2.2 GHz, against the other’s maximum pace of 2 GHz. The chip is assisted by a decent 2 GB of RAM.
The phablet runs on its maker’s latest MIUI 7 custom ROM based on recent Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system.
The Redmi Note 2 Prime is equipped with a large 3060mAh battery, like the regular variant, which should allow you enough time to enjoy the device on a charge. It supports dual-SIM functionality as well as incredibly fast 4G LTE connectivity.
The quality midrange smartphone also offers 3G support, microUSB 2.0, Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac for your connection needs.
Pricing and availability
Xiaomi currently does not sell mobile phones in Nigeria. According to Xiaomi the focus of their expansion for 2015 will be India, Brazil, and Indonesia. However, the company expects to be global by 2020.
So, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime may never officially sell in Nigeria. We currently have no data on pricing and availability. If available, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime Price in Nigeria is expected to range from N27,000 to N35,000.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Prime:
- Platform: Android 5.0 (Lollipop), MIUI
- Processor: 2.2GHz octa-core Processor (Mediatek MT6795)
- GPU: PowerVR G6200
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Colours: Blue, White, Yellow, Pink, Green
- Dimension: 152 x 76 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 160 g
- SIM Type: –
- SIM Count: Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- Display: 5.5-inch IPS Display, 1080 x 1920 pixels (401ppi)
- Display Protection: –
- Rear Camera: 13 MP Camera, 1080p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: autofocus, LED Flash, HDR, Face Detection, Panorama, Phase Detection
- Front Camera: 5MP Camera, 720p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 32GB Storage
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes, up to 21 Mbps
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP, LE
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol:
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes with A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant:
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No (download at store)
- Battery: 3060 mAh Li-Po Battery (non-removable)
- Talktime: up to 11.5 hours
- Standby Time: up to 144 hours
- Fast battery charging: Yes, Quick Charge 2.0 (60% in 30 minutes) –