The newly-unveiled Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 is a budget handset that offers specs that you ordinarily would not expect to see in its price range. The device, which is the successor to the Redmi Note from 2014, features a massive display, powerful cameras, an octa-core processor and super-fast 4G LTE support.
Build and Screen
True to its price, the Redmi Note 2 shows off a plastic construction, but with attractive slightly-rounded corners. It is a little thinner than its predecessor at a thickness of 8.25 millimetres.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 is, however, somewhat bulky at 160 grams. It crams in a huge 5.5-inch display, which puts it in the phablet range. The IPS multi-touch screen has a Full HD resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels for a pixel density of 401 ppi, offering very sharp wide-angle viewing.
Camera and Storage
For a budget phablet, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 offers an impressive 13-megapixel camera with F2.2 aperture, dual LED flash, phase detection autofocus, touch to focus and High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode, amongst other features and modes.
The shooter boasts Full-HD (1080p) video recording capability. The front-facing snapper of 5 megapixels is equally impressive and looks capable of producing superb selfies. Ample storage of 32 GB is provided and users will be able to add more storage memory using a microSD card.
Hardware and Software
Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 is powered by a robust MediaTek Helio X10 octa-core processor, which delivers amazing speeds of up to 2 GHz. The 64-bit chip is assisted in its mission by an ample 2 GB of RAM, while a PowerVR G6200 GPU is given the duty of crunching great graphics.
The phablet runs on Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system, which is coated with Xiaomi’s MIUI 7 user interface.
Supplying needed juice to the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 is a powerful 3060mAh battery, which is rated to offer up to 46 hours of music playback. The dual-SIM handset will be available in two models: one with two SIM slots that support 4G LTE and another with a 4G LTE slot and a 3G slot.
Connectivity options include microUSB 2.0, Bluetooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (5GHz).
Pricing and availability
Xiaomi currently does not sell mobile phones in Nigeria. According to Xiaomi the focus of their expansion for 2015 will be India, Brazil, and Indonesia. However, the company expects to be global by 2020.
So, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 may never officially sell in Nigeria. We currently have no data on pricing and availability. If available, Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Price in Nigeria is expected to range from N25,000 to N35,000.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2:
- Platform: Android 5.0 (Lollipop), MIUI
- Processor: 2.0GHz octa-core Processor (Mediatek MT6795)
- GPU: PowerVR G6200
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Colours: Blue, White, Yellow, Pink, Green
- Dimension: 152 x 76 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 160 g
- SIM Type: –
- SIM Count: Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- Display: 5.5-inch IPS Display, 1080 x 1920 pixels (401ppi)
- Display Protection: –
- Rear Camera: 13 MP Camera, 1080p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: autofocus, LED Flash, HDR, Face Detection, Panorama, Phase Detection
- Front Camera: 5MP Camera, 720p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 16GB Storage
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes, up to 21 Mbps
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP, LE
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol:
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes with A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant:
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No (download at store)
- Battery: 3060 mAh Li-Po Battery (non-removable)
- Talktime: up to 11.5 hours
- Standby Time: up to 144 hours
- Fast battery charging: Yes, Quick Charge 2.0 (60% in 30 minutes) –