Apple iPhone 7 is the 2016 refresh of the iPhone. The iPhone with its bigger sibling the iPhone 7 Plus offers upgrades to the iPhone 6S (the 2015 iteration) including a new home button, a better camera, a faster processor, improved battery life, and water resistance. iPhone 7 drops the 16GB storage option with the base model starting with 32GB built-in storage. You may also be interested in the more recent iPhone X, marking the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.
Where to Buy iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Key Specs & Features
- 4.7-inch IPS Touch Display, 750 x 1334 pixels (326 ppi)
- Apple A10 Fusion Chipset with 2GB RAM
- iOS 10
- Water Resistant & Dustproof
- 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP Rear Camera and 7MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE (up to 450 Mbps download)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Front)
- 1960 mAh Li-ion Battery
However, perhaps the most talked about change in the iPhone 7 is the dropping of the headphone jack (3.5mm audio jack). Instead, Apple expects you to use an Earphone that connects directly to the Lightning connector or use wireless earphones called AirPods.
The iPhone 7 will also offer an adapter that allows you connect a traditional earphone to the smartphone via the lightning port.
iPhone 7 comes with a similar design as the iPhone 6S. The size is about the same. However, like we said earlier the headphone jack has been dropped. Secondly, Space Grey has also been dropped as a colour option.
In its place, Apple is introducing two new colours: Jet Black and Black. This two colours will join the existing Silver, Gold, and Rose Gold options. Apple has also added red as a colour option for the iPhone 7.
iPhone 7 is water tight, making it the first iPhone to offer water resistance. iPhone 7 can survive in up to 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes. The home button has been improved to offer taptic feedback.
On paper, the iPhone 7 seems to be offering the same screen as the 2015 iteration. It is essentially a 4.7-inch IPS Display with 750 x 1334 pixels resolution and 3D Touch.
However, Apple is claiming it is 25% brighter, which should result in better outdoor viewing. The new display supports a wider colour gamut, which should make for a more brilliant screen.
The iPhone 7 is offering some camera upgrades. On paper, the phone still offers a 12 megapixels sensor as its predecessor. However, the 12 megapixels sensor on the iPhone 7 is a completely new sensor that is faster and more energy efficient.
The new smartphone also comes with a larger f/1.8 aperture that allows up to 50% more light on the camera sensor than the 6S. It also offers a 6-element lens system and introduces Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), both of which should result in better quality photos.
iPhone 7 is also getting an upgrade in the front camera. The FaceTime camera is getting an upgrade from 5 megapixels to 7 megapixels. The front camera still retains the Retina Flash, which using the screen brightness as flash.
Hardware & Software
The iPhone 7 comes with a more powerful processor. According to Apple, the new A10 Fusion chip is twice as fast as the A8 chip in the iPhone 6 and 40% faster than the A9 chip in the iPhone 6S. It features a quad-core processor with a 64-bit architecture and a hexa-core graphics processor.
iPhone 7 runs on iOS 10 out of the box and is available with 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB built-in storage. It supports download speeds of up to 450 Mbps via 4G LTE. iPhone 7 comes with improved battery life for internet use with up to 14 hours on Wi-Fi and up to 12 hours on 4G LTE. However, talktime remains the same 14 hours.
Pricing and Availability
iPhone 7 launched initially in 28 countries including United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the United Kingdom on September 16, though preorders opened on September 9. It has since launched in over 130 countries by the end of the year. iPhone 7 is available in 32GB, 128GB or 256GB models at $649, $749, and $849 respectively.
The iPhone SE remains the most affordable iPhone at $399.
The iPhone 7 is currently available available in Nigeria, Kenya, or Ghana at Jumia, a leading online store in Africa. iPhone 7 Price in Nigeria ranges from 241,000 Naira to 490,000 Naira, depending on your location and built-in storage.
Price in Ghana starts at around 3,200 GH₵. iPhone 7 Price in Kenya starts at around 74,999 KSh.
Apple iPhone 7 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Apple iPhone 7:
- Platform: iOS 10
- Processor: Apple A10 Fusion
- GPU: 6-core Graphics
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Jet Black, Silver, Gold, Rose Gold
- Dimension: 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm
- Weight: 138 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM
- Display: 4.7-inch IPS Touch Display, 750 x 1334 pixels (326 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Ion-strengthened glass, oleophobic coating
- Rear Camera: 12MP Camera, 2160p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: phase detection autofocus, quad-LED (dual tone) flash, Geo-tagging, simultaneous 4K video and 8MP image recording, touch focus, face/smile detection, HDR (photo/panorama), OIS
- Front Camera: 7MP Camera, 1080p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 450 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.1, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes, (Apply Pay only)
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes USB 2.0, Reversible Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No (supports a lightning connector to 3.5mm jack adapter or wireless AirPods)
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Apple Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: No
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes, Apple Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes, IP67 (Water resistant in up to 1 meter or water for up to 30 minutes)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: No
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 2900 Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: up to 14 hours (3G)
- Standby Time: up to 240 hours (3G)