The Lenovo S5 was one of the great mid-range smartphones of 2018. It offers a brilliant display and solid performance for its class. Lenovo S5 also sports good dual cameras on the back.
Where to Buy Lenovo S5
Entering into the fierce competition with a bunch of other smartphones like Oppo F7, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, Vivo V9 and so on. However, the Lenovo S5 happens to have a decent spec sheet too which we will be taking a look at to see how it fares against the competition.
Lenovo S5 Key Specs and Feature
- 5.7-inch, IPS LCD Display, 2160 X 1080 pixels (424 ppi)
- Octa-core Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625 CPU with 3GB / 4GB RAM
- Android 8.1 Oreo
- 32GB / 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, up to 256GB with a memory card
- Dual 13MP + 13MP Rear Camera
- 16MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE
- Fingerprint Sensor (rear)
- 3, 000 mAh Non Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
If there is one thing apparent about the Lenovo S5, it is that the smartphone follows in the recent style of building smartphones. There is the 18:9 aspect ratio, bezel-less display amongst other things.
It also appears compact with much of the front space fitted with the display. Besides the smartphone as it dual camera arranged horizontally at the top left corner with the fingerprint toward the centre and Lenovo written at the bottom area.
Viewing on the display is quite impressive for a mid-range smartphone with high resolution and a not too large size. Taking on a 2160 X 1080 pixels display stretched out on a 5.7-inch screen your viewing will be nothing short of pleasant. Also, you’ve got a 2.5D curved glass with a pixel density of 424 ppi and a an ideal visibility in sunlight.
Battery and Camera
Battery capacity is not really the Lenovo S5’s forte but it carries just enough for daily use. Speaking of which you have 3, 000mAh non removable Li-Po battery.
This is of average power, which means it may likely not go for a day on engaging the smartphone intensively. That aside, the smartphone charges through a USB Type-C port along with support for quick charge technology.
Coming to one of the most coveted features by most youths which is the camera. Taking a chapter from the recent camera features book, the smartphone has a dual rear camera made up of a 13MP RGB camera and another 13MP monochrome camera. On the flip side you also have a 16MP snapper for selfies.
Hardware and Software
When it comes to the hardware featured here, the Lenovo S5 goes for a chipset that is positioned squarely in the mid-range segment. Moving on, there is an Octa-core Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625 SoC with cores clocking at 2.0GHz max. This goes alongside an Adreno 506 GPU with a frequency of 650MHz.
Also, there are three models available at the moment. One has a 4GB RAM and a 128GB internal storage space while another have the same RAM but with a 64GB storage space.
The last one has a 3GB RAM and 32GB of built-in storage space, however, all the smartphone models storage can be expanded up to 256GB. On a final note, it runs Android 8.1 Oreo with ZUI skin from Lenovo on top.
Lenovo S5 Price and Availability
The Lenovo S5 price in Nigeria starts at around 35,000 Naira. Price starts at around $85 at global online stores.
It was initially launched in China in 2018 where the 32GB model debuted for CNY 999, 64GB for CNY 1, 199 and the 128GB for CNY 1, 4999. This was equivalent to about 57, 215 Naira, 68, 670 Naira and 86, 000 Naira respectively.
Lenovo S5 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Lenovo S5:
- Platform: Android 8.1 Oreo (ZUI 3.7)
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625
- GPU: Adreno 506
- Memory: 3GB/4GB
- Colours: Midnight Black, Flame Red
- Dimension: 154 x 73.5 x 7.8 mm
- Weight: 155g
- SIM Type: Nano sim
- SIM Count: Dual sim
- Display: 5.7-inch, IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 2160 X 1080 pixels (424 ppi)
- Screen Protection: –
- Rear Camera: Dual 13MP + 13MP camera, 2160p & 1080p Video@30fps
- Rear Camera Features: Phase detection autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: 16MP camera, 1080p Video@30fps
- Built-in Storage: 32GB/64GB/128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes, 42.2/5.76Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE-A (2CA) Cat 7 300/100Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, WiFi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, v4.2 with A2DP, LE
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac player
- Video Player: MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (rear)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: –
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 3, 000 mAh non removable Li-Po battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes