The iPad 9.7 inch is the latest 2018 iPad from Apple, the industry’s king of tablets itself. Slightly similar to the iPad Pro, the iPad 9.7 2018 is said to be the future of computing in the classroom. Basically, the iPad 2018 is like every other iPad there is in terms of form factor and appearance, but on the inside, it is more like watered down and half-priced version of the iPad Pro. See some highlight specifications of the iPad 2018 with 9.7-inch display before delving into deeper details.
iPad 9.7 (2018) Key Specifications
- Dimension — 240mm x 169.5mm x 7.5mm
- Display — 9.7-inch display (2048 x 1536 resolution, 264 ppi)
- Weight — 469g
- Processor — A10 Fusion chip 64bit architecture with embedded M10 co-processor
- RAM — 2GB
- ROM — 32GB/128GB storage (plus 200GB iCloud storage offer for schools)
- Primary Camera — 8-megapixels rear-facing camera, f/2.4, Live Photos, no flash, no OIS, Panorama mode up to 43Mp, 1080p HD video, slo-mo video at 720p and 120 fps
- Secondary Camera — 1.2-megapixels front-facing camera, Live Photos, Retina Flash, 720p HD video
- Battery — up to 10 hours (video, music or web browsing via Wi-Fi) or 9 hours (web browsing over cellular)
- Connectivity — 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Bluetooth 4.2
- Sensors — Digital compass, Accelerometer, Barometer
Design-wise, the iPad 2018 comes in the same smooth, slim, and visually appealing metal finish previous iPads from five years ago rocked. And while the iPad is one of the best-designed no doubts, the regular tablet aesthetic is however getting mundane. Its about time Apple revolutionize the iPad design.
On an interesting note, the iPad 2018 comes with some new design additiona though: redesigned speaker grills and an actual home button with touch ID. These two new introductions are the differentiating features the iPad 9.7 2018 possesses which makes it a standout iPad.
The tablet comes with a 9.7-inch display with 2048 x 1536 pixels resolution which make it perfect for movies, gaming, classroom and office use. Albeit Apple has refused to shrink the bezels on the iPad, the iPad 9.7 2018 is still cozy and easy to carry around during commute and operation; it sits comfortably between the large-screened 12.9-inch iPad Pro and 7.9-inch iPad Mini.
Another selling point of the iPad 9.7 (2018) is that the display of the tablet now supports Apple Pencil; the Apple Pencil was previously exclusive to the iPad Pro only. The Apple Pencill is an invaluable stylus which allows users easily control and navigate the iPad and likewise, for creatives to make drawings and paintings.
On the inside, the iPad 2018 uses the 64-bit A10 Fuson chipset which is a step up from the A9 used on the 2017 model. The chipset comes laced with the iOS 11 operating system (iOS 11.3 pre-installed precisely), bringing improvements in the aspects of overall interface, pencil functionality, multitasking, and more. In terms of storage, there is 2GB of RAM on board, and 32GB or 128GB of internal storage.
That being said, you should know that there is no SD card slot for storage expansion. So you are stuck with whatever out-of-the-box memory it comes with; the 128GB version is the more reasonable option to buy — it, thankfully comes at a very reasonable price too. Lastly, the battery of the tablet is stunning. The non-removable 8827 mAh battery can supply non-stop 11 hours of run time to the iPad 2018. In fact, an hour of Netflix streaming over WiFi will only take about 7% of battery juice.
iPad 9.7 (2018) Price
- iPad (WiFi, 32GB) — £319 or $329
- iPad (WiFi, 128GB) — £409 or $429
- iPad (cellular, 328GB): £449 or $459
- iPad (cellular, 128GB): £539 or $559
- Apple Pencil: £89
If you have reservations regards the iPad mini yet can’t stand the super big display and price of the iPad Pro, the iPad 9.7 2018 is the best option as it is a perfect balance between the two options. The Apple Pencill support, too, is a big plus.