The iPad so far has been a success selling millions of units globally. However, with smaller 7-inch tablets like the Amazon Kindle HD and Google Nexus 7 getting more popular it was only a matter of time before Apple launches its own 7-inch tablet. Apple’s response is a 7.9-inch tablet, the iPad Mini.
When Smaller is better
Smaller tablets are easier to handle. Bigger tablets may boast of more screen real estate, but smaller tablets are easier to handle and carry around. One priceless benefit of the small 7-inch tablet is the ability to type, navigate, and do some serious work with them while standing or even walking. In an ever busy world where we have to shuffle between tasks, this is indeed priceless.
You can easily hold a 7-inch tablet with 8 fingers and do your typing with your two thumbs with ease. They can fit in large pockets. The iPad Mini strikes a balance offering more screen real estate with a 7.9-inch LED display offering 1024 x 768 pixels (163 ppi) and still maintaining easy handling.
The iPad Mini is 23% thinner and 53% lighter than the iPad 4. It features the same A5x processor in the iPad 3. The camera is similar to the iPad 4 with a rear facing 5 mega pixels iSight camera featuring 1080p HD video recording, auto focus, geotagging, and face detection. In the front-end, iPad Mini has a 1.2 megapixel FaceTime camera with 720p HD video. FaceTime is now available both on Wi-Fi and LTE.
Like the iPhone 5 and iPad 4, iPad Mini comes with global LTE in its cellular models, promising download speed of up to 100Mbps. Outside 4G coverage, the iPad Mini can access superfast internet on HSPA+. WCDMA as well as GPRS/EDGE are also supported. iPad Mini also has a CDMA model.
On Wi-Fi, iPad Mini is also superfast featuring dual-band 802.11n WLAN on 2.4GHz and 5GHz with over 150Mbps download. WLAN 802.11 a/b/g is also supported. So, whether on Wi-Fi and cellular the iPad Mini offers fast internet for power browsing, video streaming, and video calling.
Price & Availability
The iPad Mini is available in Wi-Fi models with 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB storage options. The Wi-Fi models come at $329, $429, and $529 for the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB storage models. The Apple iPad LTE model is now available.
iPad Mini 4G LTE is now available in Nigeria. The price of the iPad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi is N59,000 with 3G models selling at N89,000, while the 32GB model costs N112,500.
More Specs for Apple iPad Mini:
- Nano SIM (Cellular/4G)
- iOS 6 OS
- A5x dual-core Processor with separate graphics processor
- Storage: 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
- Colours: Black/Slate or White/Silver
- 3.5mm jack
- Lightning connector (8-pin all digital connector replaces the 30-pin connector)
- Tri-axis gyroscope, Accelerometer, proximity sensor, digital compass
- Bluetooth 4.0
- GSM Quad-band GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- WCDMA/HSPA/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- global LTE
- CDMA/EVDO Rev A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz) for CDMA model
- Apple iMessage messaging service
- Navigation with A-GPS/Wi-Fi/Cellular
- Apple Maps
- email/push email/IM
- Music player (MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, WAV, AMR, MIDI)
- Video player (MPEG4, H.263, H.264, DivX)
- WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n with Wi-Fi hotspot
- Photo/Video editor
- WAP 2.0/XHTML/HTML browser
- Battery life: 10 hours