The cheapest of the bunch, the iPhone XR is actually the most affordable of the 2018 iteration of the iPhone. Starting at a price of $449, the iPhone XR will remain in production with the 2019 iPhone iteration: iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Some of the tradeoffs includes a single rear camera, less RAM, lesser resolution and a switch from. OLED to LED. Nonetheless, the smartphone still carries the same flagship SoC as the other models.
iPhone XR Key Specs and Features
- 6.1-inch, IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 828 x 1792 pixels (326 ppi)
- iOS 12
- Octa-core Apple Bionic 12 CPU with 3GB RAM
- 64GB/128GB/256GB built-in storage, no support for expansion
- 12MP rear camera and a 7MP front camera
- 4G LTE
- Face ID
- IP68 water and dust proof
- Non removable Li-ion battery
Design and Display
To the business of how it looks, the iPhone XR looks every bit like a flagship with thick surrounding bezels and the same metallic frame.
However, the bezels around the screen are a bit thicker and there is the fact that it is a bit chunkier. Also, it is water and dust proof with an IP67 certification like last year’s iPhone X.
This means the iPhone XR can stay in water up to 1 metre for 30mins unlike the IP68 label on the iPhone XS and XS Max. It is covered by scratch resistant glass and with oleophobic coating to prevent smudges.
A major difference can be noticed in the change from OLED to LCD to cut cost and a further reduction in resolution too.
In comparison to the iPhone XS, the iPhone XR is bigger, but smaller when compared to the iPhone XS Max. Sporting the characteristical notch, the display has a size of 6.1-inch and a resolution of 828 x 1792 pixels.
There is no 3D Touch display but you’ll still be getting the True-tone display on the smartphone.
Battery and Camera
Nothing yet on the battery capacity on the iPhone XR but you should expect the conventional a day usage on it. Since it’s using the same set of chipset as the others, you can expect a typical efficient power consumption on it. In addition, you still get to enjoy fast charge and Qi wireless charging is also supported.
One major change and a quite obvious one you’ve got here is the absence of the extra telephoto camera. This means no more 2x lossless zoom but it still manages to take impressive portrait shots and you can even adjust the bokeh effect.
It comes with the single f/1.8 aperture 12MP camera and the Truedepth 7MP front camera stays the same.
Hardware and Software
To be candid, the iPhone XR is a decent offering considering it is going to be featuring the latest Neural engine as the more premium models.
The Bionic 12 processor is the real deal when it comes to flagship prowess. Even if the RAM size has been reduced to 3GB on the smartphone, you’d still expect a stellar performance.
Unfortunately, the 512GB storage option is not available on the iPhone XR but you will still be getting 64GB, 128GB and 256GB storage space alternative. The latest iOS 12 is on board too alongside Apple Pay, Siri assistant and AI optimization.
iPhone XR Price and Availability
iPhone XR price in Nigeria starts at 233,000 Naira. In September 2019 at the launch of the iPhone 11 series, Apple announced the iPhone XR price will now start $599, making it the most affordable iPhone still in production.
Pre-order for the iPhone XR began October 19, 2018 with off-the-shelve purchase starting October 26. 2018 at select stores. The 64GB variant of the smartphone costs $749 (271, 000 Naira) while the 128GB model will go for $799 (290, 000 Naira) and the 256GB model for $899 (325, 000 Naira).
iPhone XR price in Nigeria starts at 233,000 Naira, depending on your location in the country.
iPhone XR Specs
Here are a few specs of the iPhone XR:
- Platform: iOS 12
- Processor: Octa-core Apple Bionic 12 Neural engine
- GPU: Apple GPU
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Coral
- Dimension: 150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 194g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.1-inch, IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 828 x 1792 pixels (326 ppi)
- Screen Protection: –
- Rear Camera: 12MP camera, [email protected]/30/60fps,[email protected]/60/120/240fps
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, OIS, PDAF, Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Front Camera: 7MP camera, 1080p [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: –
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 29(700), 30(2300), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: 42.2/5.76Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: LTE-A (4CA) Cat 16 1024/150Mbps, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, v5.0 with A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB 2.0 reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265 player
- Video Player: MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: –
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (rear)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: non removable Li-Ion battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes