There are quite a number of convertible and non-convertible business class notebooks in Lenovo’s ThinkPad line of laptops; the ThinkPad T580 joins the flurry of high-performance Lenovo notebooks to choose from.
Where to Buy Lenovo Thinkpad T580
Lenovo Thinkpad T580 Key Specs & Features
- Up to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- Up to 8th generation Intel Core i7 with vPro
- 32GB RAM
- Intel® UHD 620 or NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 with 2 GB GDDR5
- upto 2TB, upto 1TB Storage
- 365.8 mm x 252.8 mm x 19.95-20.2 mm
- Up to 27 hours with dual battery
- 15-inch FHD IPS
The Lenovo ThinkPad T580 isn’t the laptop to purchase with heavy usage in mind. But if you ever need a notebook with big screen, strong body build, excellent keyboard, biometric security, and reliable battery life for uninterrupted day-to-day usage, you can count on this PC from Lenovo.
One of the major highlights of the ThinkPad T580, though, is its double battery setup — majorly the reason why Lenovo sells the ThinkPad T580 with a “Business Laptop with 27 hours of Battery Life” tagline.
Lenovo ThinkPad T580 Key Specifications
- Display — 15.6-inch FHD IPS or UHD IPS
- Dimensions (W x D x H) — 365.8 mm x 252.8 mm x 19.95 mm
- Weight — from 1.97 kg / 4.34 lb
- Processor — 8th generation Intel Core i7 with vPro / Intel Core i5-8250U
- Operating System — Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
- Graphics— Intel UHD 620 or NVIDIA® GeForce MX150 with 2 GB GDDR5
- Webcam — 720p HD camera with ThinkShutter or IR camera (for Windows Hello and facial recognition) without ThinkShutter
- Memory — up to 32 GB DDR4
- Storage — up to 2 TB HDD, up to 1 TB PCIe SSD
- Battery — Dual battery (32 Wh + 72 Wh) up to 27 hours
- Available Color — Black
The ThinkPad T580 comes with the signature appearance and design of other notebooks in the ThinkPad series — a boring black/blue coloured chassis with a silver ‘ThinkPad’ inscription neatly embedded at the top corner. Disappointedly, the top and bottom chassis T580 is made out of plastic material which quietens the premiumness of the device. The choice of carbon-fiber is however understandable as it helps make the device lightweight.
Opening the lid reveals the usual inner aesthetic you’d fine on many ThinkPads — touchpad left and right clickers/buttons with red trim at the top, well-spaced backlit keyboard, and the ThinkPad’s signature red TrackPoint rubber nub.
The keyboard keys are well spread to the edges of the frame and have a key travel of 1.7 millimeters, requiring as little as 68grams of force to effect a press; similar to the ASUS Zenbook 13 UX331.
Extra keys like a secondary backspace button, dedicated calculator launch key and dedicated Print Screen key further spice up the keyboard. About the touchpad, you might not like that it is skewed a lot to the left and not placed at the centre of the bottom frame. Likewise the fingerprint scanner too.
The Lenovo ThinkPad T580 comes with a 15.6-inch IPS 16:9 display with a Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution and pixel density of about 142 ppi. The display comes in touchscreen and non-touch Creek options with decent brightness (averages 288 nits).
There is a more expensive version of the ThinkPad T580 with better display quality — a beefed up UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution.
Overall, the display of the Lenovo ThinkPad T580 is decent enough; boasts of good contrast and comfortable viewing angles.
CPU, Storage, and Software
The ThinkPad T580 is available in different CPU configurations with options to customize to your taste. There is an entry-level model that sports a Core i5-8250U joined with 4GB of DDR4 RAM and 500GB hard drive.
Users can customize the ThinkPad T580 by adding, pre-purchase, extra options like IR camera, more RAM (up to 32GB), and more SSD (up to 1TB). All models come out of the box with Windows 10 Home OS.
The highlight of the Lenovo ThinkPad T580 is the dual battery setup — an internal non-removable 32Wh that can deliver up to 6 hours of usage and a removable 72Wh. The combination of the two batteries can conveniently supply up to 27 hours of uninterrupted usage.
As an icing on the cake, the ThinkPad comes with a “Power Bridge Technology” which allows users swap out a low battery with a charged one without having to turn off the laptop. Lenovo says the Power Bridge Technology is the “answer to low battery warnings”.
Lenovo ThinkPad T580 Price and Availability
The Lenovo ThinkPad T580 is available on Lenovo’s official store and third-party e-commerce platforms like Amazon. That being said, price starts from about $1,000 and could go up to $2,500 depending on customizations and configurations in the aspects of storage, processor, display type, camera etc.
Lenovo Thinkpad T580 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Lenovo Thinkpad T580:
- OS: Up to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- Processor: Up to 8th generation Intel Core i7 with vPro
- GPU: Intel® UHD 620 or NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 with 2 GB GDDR5
- Memory: 32GB RAM
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 365.8 mm x 252.8 mm x 19.95-20.2 mm
- Weight: 1.97kg
Display & Keyboard
- Display: 15-inch FHD IPS
- Keyboard: –
- Pointing Device: –
- Built-in Storage: upto 2TB, upto 1TB
- Optical Storage: –
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Webcam: Yes
- USB Ports: Yes, USB 3.0
- HDMI: Yes
- Thunderbolt Ports: Yes
- DisplayPort: –
- VGA: Yes
- Ethernet (RJ-45): Yes
- SD Slot: Yes
- Mic/Headphone: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC (2 x 2)
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.2
- NFC: –
- Docking Connector: –
- Mobile Broadband: –
- Headphone and microphone combo jack
- 4-in-1 Micro SD card reader (SD, MMC, SDHC, SDXC)
- ntegrated global mobile broadband LTE-A
- ThinkShutter (with 720p HD camera)
- Match-on-chip touch fingerprint reader
- Infrared camera (optional) for facial recognition
- Kensington™ lock slot
- Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3
- Battery: –
- Use Time: up to 27 hours* with dual battery