Of the three new devices we got at the Apple event of September 2019, the Apple iPhone 11 Pro sits between the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Max. That means we have a unit that is better than the base model, but slightly off the bigger cousin.
Where to Buy iPhone 11 Pro
In this overview, we see if it is worth spending all that extra dollars you could have saved on the iPhone 11, or you should just add more and go for the iPhone 11 Pro Max instead.
iPhone 11 Pro Key Specs and Features
- 5.8 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1125 x 2436 pixels, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 800 nits
- iOS 13
- 4GB RAM
- Hexa-core Apple A13 Bionic (7 nm+)
- 12MP + 12MP + 12MP Triple Rear Camera
- 12MP + 3D ToF sensor Dual Front Camera
- 64GB / 256GB / 512GB Built-in Storage
- Water and Dust Resistant (IP68)
- Colour options – Space Gray, Silver, Gold, Midnight Green
- Qi Wireless Charging
- 18W Fast Charging (USB Power Delivery 2.0)
- 3046 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
Design and Display
The first thing that surprised us here is that the iPhone 11 has a 6.1-inch screen, but the iPhone 11 Pro option has a 5.8-inch screen instead.
This means the iPhone 11 Pro comes in a more compact design. However, despite the smaller size, it is a more premium smartphone.
The screen is made of a different display technology though – a Super Retina XDR OLED capacitive touchscreen, so we know it will be better than what has been used on the base model.
That said, the front and back of the device is also covered scratch resistant glass and protected by oleophobic coating. The frame is built on stainless steel, an upgrade on the Aluminum frame available on the base model.
Looking at the entire line-up, you should not expect to miss out the notch for this year, and that has reduced what is supposed to be a bezel-less screen to about 82% screen to body ratio. But then, you might stop noticing the notch after using the device for a while.
What you would notice, though, are the lack of a headphone jack (as usual), placement of a microphone and speakerphone grill on the bottom and top of the phone, and the traditional side buttons too. These are almost a statement for Apple now, so users of older units won’t feel like anything is out of place.
The top-notch has a couple of cut-outs for the dual camera sensors, besides the ambient light sensor and every other thing going on there.
Like the biggest iPhone in this series, we have three cameras on the back of the device. Barring that, the premium back panel is just as beautiful as we would have expected on a phone from the Cupertino-based company.
Finishing off the phone with colour options of Space Grey, Silver, Gold and Midnight Green, we would have loved to see even more colour options like what Apple made happen with the iPhone 11
An interesting talking point for us is all the five cameras that the iPhone 11 Pro packs.
On the front, we don’t see a difference to the iPhone 11. Here, we just have the 12 megapixels main selfie camera sensor and a Time of Flight (ToF) 3D camera to match.
Besides improving the Face ID function, we believe that will also help take portrait selfies and better images with improved definitions.
The back of the iPhone 11 Pro is where the real party is happening with an array of three different cameras to choose from. The main 12 megapixels camera offers a wide angle lens, and there is a second 12 megapixels camera with a telephoto lens.
We believe this telephoto lens is the one Apple will dedicate to portraits yet again, and we cannot wait to see how that works out here. Finally, a third 12 megapixels camera with an ultrawide lens completes the setup.
For those who take pictures in low light, Apple retained the same Quad-LED dual-tone camera on this device. Lest we forget, the company will never ship its cameras without the HDR feel.
Both cameras can record 2160p 4k videos with the rear camera adding phase detection autofocus (PDAF), 2x optical zoom, and optical image stabilisation (OIS)
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Where iPhones shine the most are in their unique chipsets, and we have the A13 Bionic to thank for the power and performance which will come with the iPhone 11 Pro.
This chipset was designed with a 7nm+ process, which does not only promise efficiency but better battery life too. Throw in the wonders of an iOS 13 which comes with the dark mode, and you have a phone running on better battery options on your hands.
Speaking of the battery, we have a non-removable 3046mAh unit under the hood. This battery will support fast charging at 18W and is supposed to last as long as 65 hours on standby.
There is also support for Qi wireless charging, which should have been evident from the glass backs of the iPhone 11 Pro.
Diving further down under the hood, the iPhone 11 Pro can be picked up in internal storage options of 64GB, 256GB and 512GB, which is two times higher than the last storage space on the iPhone 11.
As usual, Apple is not one to offer devices with different RAMs, and they are not about to start this year – so we have a 4GB RAM unit at our disposal.
iPhone 11 Pro Price and Availability
iPhone 11 Pro price in Nigeria starts at around 520,000 Naira for single SIM models and around 535,000 Naira for dual SIM models. Price starts at around $830 at leading online stores.
At the launch, Apple pegged the smartphone at at $999, $1149, and $1349 for the 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB models respectively.
Just like the rest of the series, the iPhone 11 Pro will only be available in stores from the 20th of September. At that point, you can pick up the phones at the following price points, depending on which storage option you would like to go for:
- 64GB iPhone 11 Pro – ₦520,000 – ₦590,000
- 256GB iPhone 11 Pro – ₦590,000 – ₦700,000
- 512GB iPhone 11 Pro – ₦670,000 – ₦800,000
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Apple iPhone 11 Pro:
- Platform: iOS 13
- Processor: Hexa-core Apple A13 Bionic (7 nm+), 2.65GHz dual-core Lightning + 1.8GHz quad-core Thunder
- GPU: Apple quad-core GPU
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Space Gray, Silver, Gold, Midnight Green
- Dimension: 144 x 71.4 x 8.1 mm
- Weight: 188 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or Electronic SIM card) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) – for China
- Display: 5.8 inch Super Retina XDR OLED Display, 1125 x 2436 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~458 ppi), HDR10, Dolby Vision, 800 nits
- Screen Protection: Scratch-resistant Glass, Oleophobic coating
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP (wide) + 12MP (telephoto) + 12MP (ultrawide) Triple Camera, [email protected]/30fps/60fps Videos, [email protected]/60fps/120fps/240fps Videos
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF (wide and telephot), OIS (wide and Telephoto), 2x Optical Zoom (telephoto), Quad-LED dual-tone Flash, HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 12MP + 3D ToF Dual Camera, HDR, [email protected]/30fps/60fps Videos, [email protected]/60fps/120fps Videos, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: No
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 11(1500), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 21(1500), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 42(3500), 46, 48, 66(1700/2100)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes (up to 1.6 Gbps downloads)
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB 2.0, proprietary reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: Mo
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Siri natural language commands and dictation
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes, Qi Wireless Charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes (IP68), survives up to 30 minutes in up to 4 metres of fresh water
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 3046 mAh Non-Removable Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Fast battery charging 18W: 50% in 30 min