Samsung Galaxy A90 5G is the most affordable Samsung smartphone to offer 5G connectivity at this time. Samsung promised that it would be launching an affordable 5G unit in the market, and the South Korean OEM followed up that promise with the release of the Galaxy A90 5G.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy A90 5G
Combining all the specs of an upper midrange device into the 5G build and still bringing it at an affordable price, how did Samsung manage to do all that?
That is what we check out in this overview.
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.7 inch Super AMOLED infinity-U Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 aspect ratio (~393 ppi)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); One UI
- Octa-core Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm)
- 6GB RAM or 8GB RAM
- 48MP + 8MP + 5MP Triple Camera
- 32MP Selfie Camera
- 128GB Built-in Storage
- up to 512 GB microSD support (6GB model only)
- 5G Network Support (NSA / Sub6)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Screen)
- 25W Fast Charging Capacity
- 4500 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Samsung has adopted a new design for the phones in the Galaxy A series, and that is not lost on the current Galaxy A90 5G.
On the front, we get that almost bezel-less 6.7-inch screen which has just a waterdrop notch to house the front camera and phone earpiece. Besides that, the screen takes up much of the front space, giving us slightly over 86% of the total front space.
Samsung went all out with its Super AMOLED screen technology to ensure the display comes out with the most vibrant of colours, and you will surely notice the difference.
Of course, the back of the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G is also as interesting. Here, we have cut-outs for the triple camera arrangement and a LED flash to match.
You would observe that there is no physical fingerprint scanner on the rear panel, and it is not on the sides of the device rather.
That’s because Samsung opted for the in-display sensor technology. Although it is not as top-shelf as the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S10 and above, but it gets the job done just right.
Samsung is definitely no slouch when it comes to the camera department, and they have shown that in the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G.
On the front, we have a single 32 megapixels shooter to take care of selfie needs. At such a resolution, there is no doubting the clarity of selfie videos and pictures, as well as video calls. On the back, we have an even more impressive tri-camera setup.
A 48 megapixels main snapper leads the way, coupled with an 8 megapixels shooter for ultrawide shots and a 5 megapixels depth sensor. One thing that is missing here is the telephoto lens which is almost a standard with triple camera arrangements today.
If you are not a heavy camera user – or have not used a telephoto lens before – chances are that you won’t miss it here. Otherwise, it might be one of those trade-offs you just have to make.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Under the hood of the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G comes the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset. Well, it would be the latest if not for the recent addition of the SD 855+ with some minor improvements.
Even at that, this chipset runs on the same 7nm process which guarantees you not only faster operational speed and efficiency, but improved battery management too.
While there is a loudspeaker system on board, Samsung decided to take out the 3.5mm jack on this device too. We would have loved to have it in there, but it might be one of the gimmicks towards ensuring better sales of the Galaxy earbuds.
For not having the headphone jack, we are not promised an IP68 rating for this unit. Till that is confirmed, keep this device away from water.
Turning on the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G introduces you to the Android 9.0 Pie adapted onto the One UI which Samsung is currently installing on all its flagships.
It is almost sure that this unit will be one of the Samsung units to get a bump to the new Android 10, so you are covered on that front.
Lest we forget, Samsung did not disappoint fans in the area of choice. Even though the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G can only be picked up in 128GB storage space, you can choose to go for the 6GB or 8GB RAM option.
However, you only get the microSD card slot on the unit with 6GB of RAM, so you should consider that when making a buying decision.
Available in colours of White and Black, Samsung has equipped the unit with no less than a 4500mAh battery. Even for power users, that should get you through most days.
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G price starts at £429 in the United Kingdom. Amazon UK has the smartphone listed for £429, click here.
In India, Samsung Galaxy A90 5G starts at around 50,999 INR. The Galaxy A90 5G was announced in September, 2019, and it has been made available in this same month likewise. This availability is for those in the OEM’s home market of South Korea only though.
While the European market is supposed to get the same phone in October, there is no set date for the rest of the world for now.
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); One UI
- Processor: 2.85GHz Kryo 485 + 2.42GHz tri-core Kyro 485 + 1.78GHz quad-core Kyro 485 (Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm))
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Memory: 6GB RAM, 8GB RAM
- Colours: White, Black
- Dimension: 164.8 x 76.4 x 8.4 mm
- Weight: 206 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 6.7 inch Super AMOLED infinity-U Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 aspect ratio (~393 ppi density)
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (wide) + 8MP (ultrawide) + 5MP (depth) Triple Camera, [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, PDAF, Panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: 32 MP Camera, HDR, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: microSD, up to 512 GB (6GB model only)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: No
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes, 5G band 41(2500), 78(3500); NSA, Sub6
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4500 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 25W Fast Charging Capacity