The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S shares a lot in common with the the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. It is a sequel designed to meet the needs of enthusiasts who live outside India. Although they bear different monikers, you have got largely the same design and hardware.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Key Specs and Features
- 6.67-inches IPS LCD Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, (395 ppi)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G Processor
- 4GB RAM or 6GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, with Micro-SD Support
- 48MP + 8MP + 5MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera
- 16MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Side-Mounted)
- 5020mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S is basically a mirrored image of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. its the same chassis design, build, and setup are the same. You aren’t missing out on anything.
Build composition also remains the same. You have got Gorilla Glass 5 on the rear, Gorilla Glass 5 up front and plastic on the frame.
On the rear, you have quad-cameras, a camera flash, and the Redmi moniker branding, which give a hint that it’s a smartphone manufactured by Xiaomi.
Upfront you have also got the same setup hat mimicks smartphones in the Samsung Galaxy S20 series, as well as the Samsung Galaxy A51. You have a 6.67-inch display that houses a single selfie camera nestled in the top middle position.
Although the cameras look pretty much alike from the spec sheet, it will be erroneous to say they are exactly the same on both smartphones. The primary camera on the rear was slightly upgraded.
The 48MP primary rear camera has an aperture of f/1.6 as opposed to the f/1.8 aperture on the 48MP of the Redmi Note 9 pro. Aside from this aperture change, all other camera specs remain the same.
The other cameras in the quad-camera system of the Redmi note 9s include an 8MP ultrawide camera, a 5MP macro camera, and a 2MP depth camera.
The cameras on the rear are capable of shooting photos in HDR and panorama. It supports 4k videos at 30fps, 1080p video as at 30/60/120fps and [email protected] for slow-mo videos.
For selfies, you have got a 16MP single camera, with an aperture of f/2.5. This camera is capable of shooting photos in HDR, Panorama. It also supports 1080p videos at 30fps.
Hardware and Software
As mentioned in the introductory paragraph, you get the same hardware you had on the Redmi Note 9 Pro on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S. It’s the same performance. Same everything.
Inside this smartphone, you have an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G processor, 4GB or 6GB of RAM, 64GB or 128GB of internal storage and a Non-Removable 5020mAh battery.
On the software side, you also get Xiaomi’s MIUI 11 interface running on the Android 10.0 interface.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, dual-band Wifi Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Internet connectivity on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S is capped at 4G LTE, this means you won’t have the luxury of 5G internet speed. Download and uploads are limited to 4G speed.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Price and Availability
The price of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S starts around $209 for the 4GB / 64GB variant and $249 for the variant with 6GB / 128GB.
In Nigeria, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S price starts at around 105,000 Naira.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S went on sale on April 7th, 2020. You can get in Aurora Blue, Glacier White and Interstellar Gray.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S:
- Platform: Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- Memory: 4GB RAM or 6GB RAM
- Colours: Aurora Blue, Glacier White, Interstellar Gray
- Dimension: 165.8 x 76.7 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 209 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.67 inch IPS LCD Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2400, (395 ppi).
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Wide) f/1.6 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2 + 5MP (Macro) + 2MP (Depth) f/2.4 Quad Cameras
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF, LED Flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]
- Front Camera: 16 MP, f/2.5, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 Reversible Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 5020 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 18W Charging Capacity