The ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G has finally joined the 2020 lineup of a gaming smartphone. This phone is a followup to the ZTE Nubia Red Magic 3S and brings impressive specifications and features that will wow you. It’s a premium device that will be rubbing shoulders with Xiaomi Black Shark 3 and other gaming devices in the smartphone world.
Where to Buy ZTE Red Magic 5G
The beast was announced this month with the highest refresh rate screen on the market at 144Hz. It packs a powerful Snapdragon 865, up to 16GB RAM and onboard storage of 256GB. Users will be getting an impressive camera set-up with a 5G network and other goodies that follow.
ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G Key Specs & Features
- 6.65 inches AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~388 ppi)
- 240Hz Touch-Sensing
- Android 10.0; Redmagic 3.0
- Octa-core Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865
- 8GB / 12GB / 16GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB Built-in Storage
- 64 MP + 8 MP + 2 MP Triple Rear Cameras
- 8 MP Front Camera
- RGB light panel
- Pressure Sensitive Zones (300Hz touch-sensing)
- Built-in Cooling Fan
- Fingerprint (under display, optical)
- 4G LTE Network
- 5G Network
- Fast charging 55W
- Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh Battery
Design and Display
Going by the design, the ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G is blessed with a premium body. The handset is built with glass both on the back and front with an aluminum frame.
On the panel, you will get the extravagant lighting effects and the Red Magic 5G packs an RGB light panel with the vertical cameras setup and a branded logo. It has body dimensions of 168.6 x 78 x 9.8 mm and weighs 218 grams.
Moving to the front, you will find a large screen display size of 6.65 inches that makes use of AMOLED capacitive touchscreen. The screen has an impressive resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio and 388 PPI density.
It features a built-in onscreen fingerprint scanner and packs 144Hz refresh rate which is accompanied by 240Hz touch-sensing ensuring buttery-smooth interaction and gaming on supported titles. There is also display protection of corning gorilla glass as well.
The ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G packs an impressive 64MP Sony IMX686 main camera receiving support from an 8MP ultra-wide snapper and 2MP macro shooter. It features LED flash, HDR, panorama and also capable of shooting 8K video resolution just like the Samsung Galaxy S20.
The selfies snapper is 8 MP with an aperture rating of f/2.0 and the camera can record FHD videos.
Hardware and Software
Behind the wheel is a powerful Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 chipset that based on 7 nm+ process technology. The SOC has an octa-core processor clocking at a maximum speed of 2.84 GHz coupled with Adreno 650 for graphics and gaming.
It has an X55 modem that packs 8GB up to 16GB RAM that has generous inbuilt storage of 128GB that maxes out at 256GB. There is no support for micro SD card.
Battery and Network
The Nubia Red Magic 5G has a battery capacity of 4500 mAh that promises lengthy gaming sessions and it also comes with fast charging technology.
It runs on the Android 10 operating system with Red Magic OS sitting on top. Other features on the device include 5G, Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, a headphone jack and a 3 microphone setup for audio capture.
The Gaming Features
The Red Magic 5G boasts a highly sophisticated active air-cooling system that is paired with a spinning fan with a heat-sink chamber, which the maker claims can bring down the CPU temperature by up to 18°C.
Furthermore, the cooling solution also kicks in while the phone is charging to prevent any overheating issues and to also ensure fast charging. There are also other notable gaming features which are the capacitive shoulder triggers that boast an impressive 300Hz sampling rate resulting in minimal touch input latency.
ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G Price and Availability
ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G price starts at around $468 at leading online stores. It initially sold at a price of $540 for the 8/128GB version, the 12/256GB model will cost $625 while the 16GB/256GB will sell at a price of $712.
The Transparent Edition will cost up to $655 in its 12/256 GB, while the bigger 16/256GB model will sell at $740.
In Nigeria, you can buy the Red Magic at a price of about 198,000 Naira, while in Ghana, it will cost 3,000 Ghs and 56,000 Ksh in Kenya. The pricing will depend on the storage unit and your location.
The Nubia Red Magic 5G will be available in Black, Mars Red, and Cyber Neon colors while the special model will come in limited Transparent.
ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G:
- Platform: Android 10.0; Redmagic 3.0
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865, Octa-core (2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 2.42 GHz Tri-core Kryo 585 & 1.8 GHz quad-core Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 8/12/16GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Mars Red, Cyber Neon, Transparent
- Dimension: 168.6 x 78 x 9.8 mm
- Weight: 218 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, dual stand-by
- SIM Count: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Display: 6.65 inches AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~388 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Yes
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64 MP (wide) + 8 MP (ultrawide) + 2 MP (macro) Triple Camera, 4320p, [email protected]/60fps, 1920fps
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: 8 MP (wide) Camera, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: Yes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes, CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 26(850), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: Yes, 5G band 41(2500), 78(3500), 79(4700); SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go; accessory connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: Yes
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (under display, optical)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: Non-Removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, Fast charging 55W, 56% in 15 min, 100% in 40 min