The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 succeeds last year’s Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, bringing to the table an improved chassis design, an improved display, a bigger battery, and lots more. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 also takes cues from its earlier released more premium siblings, leaving enthusiasts with a package that feels a bit familiar.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi Note 9
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Key Specs and Features
- 6.53-inches IPS LCD Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (395 ppi)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 11
- MediaTek Helio G85 Processor
- 3GB RAM or 4GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, with Micro-SD Support
- 48MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera
- 13MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear-Mounted)
- Fast Charging (18W Capacity)
- 5020mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Xiaomi Redmi 9 reminisces on the design we already saw on the more premium Redmi Note 9 Pro. It does this with a few alterations.
On the rear of this mobile phone, we have a centralized camera module housing four cameras, we also have a camera flash lying beside this module.
Xiaomi opted for a rear-mounted capacitive fingerprint sensor, as opposed to the side-mounted ones we saw on its more premium siblings. Also, on the rear is the Redmi branding, which indicates its a Xiaomi smartphone.
Taking a frontal view, we get to discover a shift in the position of the punch hole selfie camera. It was shifted to the top left corner, as opposed to being placed in the top center position as we saw on the Xiaomi Redmi note 9s.
Build materials on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 comprise of a Gorilla Glass 5 on the front, plastic on the frame.
On paper, the camera numbers on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 are pretty much is pretty much the same as that of the Redmi Note 8. It is the same camera sensors and the same aperture for reach camera. Nevertheless, actual camera use may reveal som improvements.
The rear camera system comprises of a 48MP primary camera, an 8MP ultrawide camera, a 2MP macro camera, and a 2MP depth camera. This camera system is capable of 720p and 1080p video recording. You also get HDR and Panorama mode for photos.
Selfies are manned by a single 13MP camera, which is also capable of 720p and 1080p video recording. It also supports HDR and Panorama for photos.
Hardware and Software
Just when we thought Xiaomi ditched using MediaTek processors, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 emerges with a Meditek G85 Processor, making the second smartphone after Xiaomi Redmi note 8 Pro to feature a Mediatek processor in the Redmi Note series.
The other features powering this Android phone include Mali-G52 MC2 GPU a 3GB and 4GB RAM option, 64GB and 128GB storage options, and a non-removable 5020 mAh battery.
On the software side, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 runs the MIUI 11 user interface on top of the Android 10 operation system.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, dual-band Wifi Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Internet connectivity on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 is capped at 4G LTE, this means you won’t have the luxury of 5G internet speed. Download and uploads are limited to 4G speed.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Price and Availability
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 price starts at around $169. In Nigeria price starts at around 87,500 Naira, 18,700 KSh in Kenya, and 1,134 GHs in Ghana.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 was announced on April 30th, 2020, and became available for purchase in May 2020. It comes in Forest Green, Midnight Grey, and Polar White.
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi 9:
- Platform: Android 10; MIUI 11
- Processor: Octa-core MediaTek Helio G85 (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52 MC2
- Memory: 3GB RAM / 4GB RAM
- Colours: Forest Green, Midnight Grey, Polar White
- Dimension: 162.3 x 77.2 x 8.9 mm
- Weight: 199 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.53 inch IPS LCD, 1080 x 2340 pixels (395 PPI)
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Primary) f/1.8 + 8MP (Ultrawide) + 2MP (Macro) f/2.4 + 2MP (Depth) f/2.4 Quad Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]
- Front Camera: 13MP Camera, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: –
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct,
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type-C (USB 2.0)
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (Rear Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable Li-Po 5020 mAh Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Fast Charging Capacity