The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 is one of two units in this series launched by the Asian OEM on the same day, and it holds its own quite well in this market. Given the promise of the company to bring devices with the best specs to the market at highly affordable prices, let’s see how the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 keeps to that promise.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi Note 8
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Key Specs and Features
- 6.3 inch IPS infinity-U Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 aspect ratio (~ 409 ppi)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10
- Qualcomm SDM665 Snapdragon 665 (11 nm), Adreno 610
- Octa-core Processor (2.0GHz quad-core Kryo 260 Gold & 1.8GHz quad-core Kryo 260 Silver)
- 4GB RAM or 6 GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, up to 256GB memory card
- 48MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera
- 13MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (rear-mounted)
- 4000 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Fast Battery Charging (18W)
Design and Display
The first thing you will see when you look at this 6.3-inch beauty is how much the screen was made to take the shine on the front.
The IPS display offers 1080 x 2340 pixels resolution with 19.5:9 aspect ratio that can make it great for watching movies and browsing the web.
Even though they could have done better than the 81% screen to body ratio they managed, the placement of its waterdrop notch which houses the selfie camera and speakerphone/ earpiece makes the design all the more alluring.
Perhaps the biggest issue we have with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 is the plastic back it comes with. Although any of the Crystal Green and Crystal Blue hues will make the back panel glisten up, the lack of a premium feel will still be felt by a user who is used to such.
Speaking of the back panel, we are also treated to a quad-camera setup on the back. The horizontal arrangement of these cameras saves a lot of space on the back, and it also complements what is a unique design so far.
The same back panel comes with a fingerprint scanner for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8. For improved biometrics, the selfie camera also doubles as a facial unlocking mechanism.
So far, the camera seems to be the interesting part of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8. You would think so too, considering the usage of a 48 megapixels main sensor on the back of the device.
For better pictures, you also have an 8 megapixels ultrawide sensor and a 2 megapixels dedicated macro camera on the back to match. The last sensor on the back is also rated at 2 megapixels, but it functions as a depth sensor instead.
The rear camera can record 2160p ultra HD at 30fps and with 720p at 960 fps you can record slow motion videos.
On the front, the selfie unit is rated at just 13 megapixels. We would have expected more, due to the promise we have waiting on the back, but that’s what we have to make do with.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Xiaomi went with the octa-core Snapdragon 665 chipset for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, pairing that with the Adreno 610 CPU for better graphics handling.
Working on the in-house MIUI 10 is the Android 9 Pie software – and there is no indication that this unit will be getting the Android 10 release when it starts rolling out to older units.
Besides that, Xiaomi allows fans to pick up the Redmi Note 8 in storage options of 64GB and 128GB. Going for the former, interested users can still choose to have their units with either 4GB or 6GB of RAM, but the 128GB model of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 is only available with 6GB of RAM.
However, internal storage capacity shouldn’t be a huge buying factor since there is a microSD card slot which will take up to 256GB of external storage.
Powering the smartphone is a 4000 mAh battery (non-removable) supported by an 18W fast charging capability.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Price and Availability
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 price in Nigeria starts at around 60,000 Naira for the 32GB model and 65,000 Naira for the 64GB model. In India price should be around 9,990 INR and around $190.
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 was announced in August, but it hit the shelves for the first time on 10th September 2019.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); MIUI 10
- Processor: Qualcomm SDM665 Snapdragon 665 (11 nm), 2.0GHz quad-core Kryo 260 Gold & 1.8GHz quad-core Kryo 260 Silver
- GPU: Adreno 610
- Memory: 4GB RAM or 6GB RAM
- Colours: Crystal Green, Crystal Blue
- Dimension: 158.3 x 75.3 x 8.4 mm
- Weight: 190g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.3 inch IPS infinity-U capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 1080 x 2340 pixels (409 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio
- Screen Protection: Glass Cover
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (wide) + 8MP (ultrawide) + 2MP + 2MP (depth) Quad Camera, [email protected] fps, [email protected]/60fps/120fps, [email protected]
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF, LED Flash, HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 13 MP Camera, HDR, Panorama, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256 GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: No
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: – Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4000 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Fast Charging (18W)