The Xiaomi Redmi 9A is a cheap Android smartphone designed by Xiaomi to meet the needs of enthusiasts with budgets that are way lower than what is needed to afford smartphones in mid-range to high-end category. Similar to its predecessor the Xiaomi Redmi 8A, it offers low-end smartphone hardware tuned for non-power intensive tasks.
Where to Buy Xiaomi Redmi 9A
Xiaomi Redmi 9A Key Specs and Features
- 6.53-inch IPS LCD Display, 720 x 1600 Pixels (269 PPI)
- Android 10.0; MIUI 12
- MediaTek Helio G25 (12 nm)
- 2GB RAM / 3GB RAM / 6GB RAM
- 32GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, with Micro-SD Support
- 13MP Rear Camera
- 5MP Front Camera
- 5000mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The Xiaomi Redmi 9A follows a design pattern that has somehow become accustomed to Xiaomi smartphones in this series. It’s a subtle design that immediately informs you about its low budget status.
There isn’t really much to say about it’s design. The rear and front panel setup shows Xiaomi barely lifted a finger. Kind of what is expected from a successor in this price range.
On the rear, we discover that what used to be a centralized setup, has been shifted sideways. Its rear camera, LED flash and Redmi branding are mounted on a darker color stripe which appears to be on the right.
Upfront you will find 6.53-inch IPS LCD display which happens to have a higher 720 x 1600 resolution, which is higher than what its predecessor offered. This display also has a resolution of 269 PPI. Not to forget, it has a conspicuous teardrop notch which houses a front-facing camera.
Its tough to offer substantial upgrades on products that fall in a low price category, which is due to the fact that it may take the price of the said product to a higher category.
The Aforementioned fact sort of explains the reason the Xiaomi Redmi 9A features a camera setup that cannot be counted as substantial.
The rear setup holds a 13MP single camera that is capable of shooting videos capped at 30fps. Enthusiasts also have Panorama and HDR mode for taking photos.
Selfies are taken on a single 5MP camera, which is also capable of shooting 1080p videos capped at 30fps. Again enthusiasts are provided with HDR mode for photos.
Hardware and Software
Smartphones in this series have been known to feature low-end smartphone hardware and the Xiaomi Redmi 9A is no different, which is due to the fact having low-end smartphone hardware plays a huge role in price reduction.
Under the hood of this Android smartphone is the recently released MediaTek Helio G25 processor. It also features the PowerVR GE8320 GPU, 3GB RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and a non-removable 5000mAh battery.
On the software side, the Xiaomi Redmi 9A runs the MIUI 12 user interface on top of the Android 10 operating system.
The Xiaomi Redmi 9A features a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C port, Wifi Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Internet connectivity on the Xiaomi Redmi 9A is capped at 4G LTE, this means you won’t have the luxury of 5G internet speed.
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Price and Availability
Xiaomi Redmi 9 price starts around $99 at leading global retailers. The smartphone costs around 41,000 Naira in Nigeria, 9,000 KSh in Kenya, and 1,750 EGP in Egypt.
The Xiaomi Redmi 9A was announced on June 30th, 2020, and is expected to became available for purchase from July 7th, 2020. It comes in Granite Gray, Peacock Green, and Sky Blue.
Xiaomi Redmi 9A Specs
Here are a few specs of the Xiaomi Redmi 9A:
- Platform: Android 10, MIUI 12
- Processor: MediaTek Helio G25 (Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: PowerVR GE8320 (650 MHz)
- Memory: 2GB RAM, 3GB RAM, 6GB RAM
- Colours: Granite Gray, Peacock Green, Sky Blue
- Dimension: 164.9 x 77.1 x 9 mm
- Weight: 196g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.53-inch, IPS LCD Display, 20:9 ratio, 720 x 1600 Pixels (269 ppi)
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 13MP Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, PDAF, HDR, Panorama, 1080 @ 30fps
- Front Camera: 5MP Camera
- Built-in Storage: 32GB, 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G WCDMA: –
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0, USB On The Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio:
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 5000mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: -Yes, 10W Fast Charging Capacity