The Tecno Camon 16 comes in as the successor to the Tecno Camon 15. It is also a less premium / more affordable option for enthusiasts whose budget falls below that of the previously released Tecno Camon 16 Premier. The trade-offs that facilitated the lower price tag include the display, processor, RAM, storage, and lots more.
Where to Buy Tecno Camon 16
Tecno Camon 16 Key Specs and Features
- 6.8-inch IPS LCD Display, 1080 x 2460 Pixels, (263 PPI )
- Android 10.0; HIOS 6.0
- Octa-Core MediaTek Helio G70 Processor (12nm)
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB Built-in Storage, with Micro-SD Support
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear Mounted)
- 64MP + 2MP + 2MP + AI Rear Cameras
- 16MP Front Camera
- 18W Flash Charge
- 4500 mAh Non-Removable Battery
Design and Display
The Tecno Camon 16 builds on the Tecno Camon 16 Premier’s design, with some tweaks. These tweaks are noticed in both the rear and front panel.
Perusing the rear panel, we clearly notice Tecno add a rear-mounted fingerprint in lieu of the side-mounted fingerprint sensor on the Camon 16 Premier.
The rear-mounted fingerprint sensor is basically the only difference on the rear panel. Tecno retained the squared-off camera module that house four cameras and an LED flash. You will also find the Tecno branding, which indicates its a Tecno smartphone.
Moving up to the front, we discover a 6.8-inch display, which is slightly smaller than the 6.9-inch display on the Camon 16 Premier.
The Tecno Camon 16 settles for 720 x 1640 resolution on the display as opposed to the 1080p like we saw on the 16 Premier. What’s more, the camera cut-out was reduced to a punch hole here, which houses just a single camera.
Enthusiasts who decide to purchase this smartphone will have three colour options and they include Cloud White, Purist Blue, and Misty Grey.
There is an observable drop in pixels when moving from the Camon 16 Premier to the Camon 16. This is evident in both the rear and front panel.
Upfront we have got a single 16MP front-facing camera with an aperture of f/2.0, as opposed to the 48MP selfie camera on the Camon 16 Premier, which was paired with an 8MP ultrawide camera to make up a dual front camera system.
On the rear, we have a quad-camera system that comprises of a 64MP primary camera, a 2MP depth-sensing camera, a 2MP Macro camera, and an AI lens. This data reveals the absence of the 8MP ultrawide camera we had on the Camon 16 Premier.
Hardware and Software
On the performance specs sheet, we have got some trade-offs, trade-offs that begins with the processor, which dropped from being MediaTek Helio G90T on the Camon 16 Premier to being a MediaTek Helio G70 processor on the Camon 16, a processor we also saw on the Tecno Spark 6.
The other performance facilitators include 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage, as opposed to the 8GB RAM / 128GB setup on the Camon 16 Premier. We also have a bigger 5000mAh battery here, bigger than the 4500mAh battery on its more premium sibling.
On the software side, we have got Tecno’s HiOS 7.0 user interface running on the Android 10 operating system.
The Tecno Camon 16 features a Micro-USB port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, Bluetooth 5.0, and a and WiFi.
The Internet connection here is capped at 4G, which means enthusiasts won’t get the luxury of 5G speeds.
Checkout the Latest Tecno Phones.
Tecno Camon 16 Price and Availability
Tecno Camon 16 price starts at around 92,000 Naira. The Camon 16 costs around 19,500 KSh in Kenya and around 1,070 GHs in Ghana.
The Tecno Camon 16 was announced on October 10th, 2020, and is expected to be available for purchase as of October 16th, 2020.
Tecno Camon 16 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Tecno Camon 16:
- Platform: Android 10, HiOS 7.0
- Processor: Octa-core MediaTek Helio G70 (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.7 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52 2EEMC
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Purist Blue / Cloud White / Misty Grey
- Dimension: 170.9 x 77.2 x 9.2 mm
- Weight: 207 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.8-inch IPS LCD Display 720 x 1640 Pixels, 263 ppi
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64MP (Primary) OV64B RGB Sensor + 2MP (Depth) GC 02M18 Sensor + 2MP (Macro) GC02m1 + AI Lens
- Rear Camera Features: Penta-LED flash, Panorama, HDR, [email protected]
- Front Camera: 16MP Camera, f/2.0, Samsung RGB S5K3P9 Sensor
- Built-in Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card Support: microSDXC (dedicated slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 38, 40, 41
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: micro-USB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: –
- Fingerprint Scanner: –
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes, Google Assistant
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-removable 5000mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 18W Capacity