Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3 has a durable design, and 15.6-inch 1920 x 1080 IPS display with an optional 4K UHD OLED HDR display. It is equipped with up to 10th Gen Intel® Core® vPro™ H series processors with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q Graphics card to delivers blazing-fast performance. It is a successor to the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2.
Where to Buy Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3
This laptop has the best audio, the Dolby Atmos speaker with the best-in-class connectivity, long-lasting battery life, with rapid charging technology and a robust security and privacy features.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3 Key Specs & Features
- Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home
- Up to 10th Gen Intel Core i9-10885H Processor with vPro
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q 4GB
- Up to 15.6-inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) OLED with Dolby Vision HDR400, 400 nits, 10 bit.
- 720p HD with ThinkShutter webcam privacy cover
- Up to 64 GB DDR4 2933MHz RAM
- Up to 4TB PCIe SSD
- Discrete Trusted Platform Module (dTPM) 2.0
- Spill resistant and Backlit Keyboard with white LED lighting
- Match-on-Chip Fingerprint Reader
- Dolby Atmos Speaker System
- Up to 14 hours, 80Wh Battery
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3 comes with a slim, elegant and portable design. Like the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2, this laptop still maintain the Lenovo’s iconic ThinkPad aesthetic. It is made using carbon-fiber material that gives the laptop the same aggressive edge as X1 carbon models, hence, the durability and ruggedness level.
This classically-styled ultra-portable laptop measures a dimension of 14.24 x 9.67 x 0.74 inches and weighs 4 pounds.
On the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 lid is a stylishly inscribed Trademark at the top right corner with the iconic blinking LED over the “i” in ThinkPad on the lid, and right below it is also the X1 logo.
When opened, the lid host a 15.6-inch display with thin bezels on the sides and top but a slightly thicker bezel at the bottom. The top bezel host the 720p IR camera with ThinkShutter privacy cover.
The bottom chassis is aluminum, with the usual ThinkPad soft-coated plastic for the keyboard deck, which makes it extremely comfortable to use.
In addition, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 3 spill resistant has nicely sculpted keycaps that are just the right size, with excellent spacing. There is the usual TrackPoint nub in the middle of the keyboard between the G, H and B keycap. This keyboard illuminates white LED light for easy use in low light condition. Although, it is optional.
Below the keyboard, there is also the glass-covered Microsoft Precision touchpad with Windows 10’s multitouch gestures. There is also a fingerprint sensor at the base for security purpose.
Furthermore, for connectivity, this laptop has two USB-C with Thunderbolt 3, and a full-size HDMI 2.0 port, power port, and a Headphone / mic combo port along the left-hand side. On the right there is also two USB-A 3.2 ports and a full-size SD card reader, a SIM tray, and Kensington lock slot.
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) comes featuring four (4) display options. All the options feature a 15.6-inch screen size but different resolution, display panel, and brightness options.
The premium option offers a 15.6″ Touch 4K OLED screen which is notably brighter, sharper, and more vibrant than the FHD option, hence, it delivers a visual feast that’s detailed, bright, and incredibly vibrant.
Although, the OLED screens have no backlight, brightness cannot be controlled by changing backlight power in the traditional way. Instead, it can be controlled using PWM. This model has HDR500 including includes Dolby Vision and offers up to 400 nits.
Similarly, there is another model with a 15.6-inches 4K HDR display with IPS antiglare panel and packs display features which includes HDR400, and brightness up to 500 nits. This model is not touch screen enabled.
The third model come with a 15.6″ FHD IPS antiglare display with 1920 x 1080 resolution and offers up to 500 nits of brightness. It also has an HDR display standard.
Lastly, the base model has a 15.6″ IPS antiglare FHD 1920 x 1080 resolution with up to 300 nits of brightness.
Overall, all Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) display options boasts of good contrast and comfortable viewing angles with 16:9 screen aspect ratio, thus resulting into a bigger view of picture.
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) is powered by the 10th Gen Intel Core i9-10885H with vPro™ processor. This CPU has a frequency of 2.40 GHz and clocks up to 5.30 GHz with Turbo Boost.It has 8 Cores, 16 Threads, and 16 MB Cache.
It is paired with up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q graphics card, that offers a performance 2x that of the GeForce GTX 950 and is up to 70% faster than the GTX 1050 GPU.
In addition, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) support up to 64GB DDR4 RAM 2666MHz with SSD up to 2TB but can be configured up to 4TB PCIe SSD. Above all, the laptop also run on Windows 10 Pro operating system out-of-the-box.
This laptop also comes with a 4 Cell 80Wh internal battery which offers up to 14 hours of uninterrupted usage at a charge. It also comes with Lenovo’s Rapid Charge utility. This fast charging technology enables the laptop to use the 135W AC charger for fast charging to raise the battery level to 80% in just one hour.
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) offers Windows 10 Hello facial recognition, IR Cameras, biometric fingerprint reader, self-encrypting SSDs, discrete TPM 2.0 and FIDO authentication for security purpose.
This laptop also offer fast internet access with Wi-Fi 6, built to reach speeds of up to 9.6 Gb/s, hence, you get to access unlimited internet support. It also supports the Bluetooth 5.1 technology and Ethernet via dongle.
The ThinkPad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) also delivers decent audio output with its 3 magnet speakers. It features Dolby Audio Premium, which delivers crystal-clear audio when watching videos or taking a call.
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) Price and Availability
The Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) has a starting price of $1299.99 and goes higher as you configure display, internal storage, RAM, graphics unit, operating system and a couple of other specs.
It is available on Lenovo’s official store and other third-party e-commerce platforms like Amazon.
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3) Specs
Here are a few specs of the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 3):
- OS: Up to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
- Processor: Up to 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-10885H Processor with vPro™
- GPU: Up to NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650
- Memory: Up to 64GB DDR4 RAM
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 361.8mm x 245.7mm x 18.4mm / 14.24″ x 9.67″ x 0.72, 4K Touchscreen: 361.8mm x 245.7mm x 18.7mm / 14.24″ x 9.67″ x 0.74″
- Weight: 1.7kg / 3.75lbs, 1.81kg / 4.0lbs for touchscreen
Display & Keyboard
- Display: 15.6″ 4K Touch OLED HDR500 (3840 x 2160), with Dolby Vision™ HDR, 15.6″ 4K HDR400 (3840 x 2160, 500 nits) IPS antiglare, 15.6″ FHD HDR400 (1920 x 1080, 500 nits) IPS antiglare , 15.6″ FHD (1920 x 1080, 300 nits) IPS antiglare
- Keyboard: Spill resistant, Backlit with white LED lighting
- Pointing Device: Yes
- Built-in Storage: Up to 4TB NVMe SSD
- Optical Storage: –
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Webcam: HD 720p w/ ThinkShutter
- USB Ports: 2 Ports (USB-A 3.1 Gen 1), 2 Ports USB Type C
- HDMI: HDMI 2.0
- Thunderbolt Ports: Yes, Thunderbolt™ 3 (via USB Type C)
- DisplayPort: Yes
- VGA: –
- Ethernet (RJ-45): Yes, via Type-C Ethernet adapter
- SD Slot: Yes
- Mic/Headphone: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 6
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth®5.1 vPro
- NFC: –
- Docking Connector: –
- Mobile Broadband: –
- dTPM 2.0 chip
- Fast Identity Online (FIDO) authentication capabilities
- ThinkPad Thunderbolt™ 3 Dock
- Lenovo Vantage
- Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+)
- ThinkPad Precision keyboard with numeric pad
- Kensington lock slot
- Hybrid Infrared (IR) & 720p HD with ThinkShutter
- Fingerprint Reader
- Dolby® Atmos™ Speaker System
- Battery: 4 Cell 80Wh internal battery
- Use Time: up to 14 hours