The ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro steps up the offerings of the standard Rog Phone 5. It brings to the table bigger storage, it eliminates the lower RAM variants living enthusiasts with just the 16GB RAM option. What’s more, the ROG Phone 5 Pro also features two extra ultrasonic triggers on the rear, just like the Ultimate variant.
Where to Buy ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro
Jumia Nigeria – See Offers
ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro Key Specs & Features
- 6.78 inches AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2448 Pixels (395 PPI), 144Hz Refresh Rate
- Android 11, ROG UI
- Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 888 (5nm)
- 16GB RAM
- 512GB Built-in Storage
- 64MP + 13MP + 5MP Triple Rear camera
- 24MP Front Camera
- 5G Support
- Fingerprint Scanner (Under Display)
- Fast Charge (65W Capacity)
- 10W Reverse Charging
- 6000mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The difference in the chassis design of the ROG Phone 5 Pro and its standard sibling isn’t really broad, it’s the same difference you get when compared to the ultimate.
Enthusiasts will basically be able to tell the difference in design when they study the rear panel design. The key player here is a tiny monochromic display, which allows users to display customized content, as opposed to the LED matrix kind of display on the non-pro ROG 5.
The other major placements on the rear, include a camera module with triple cameras and the ROG emblem, which sort of gives hints that it’s an Asus smartphone. There isn’t any colour option for the rear covering, all models come in glossy black.
Moving upfront, we have the same 6.78 inches AMOLED display seen on the other members of the Rog 5 series. the highlights of this display include a resolution of 1080 x 2448, a density of 395 PPI, and a whopping 144Hz refresh rate.
Excluding gaming ergonomics would be leaving a very important piece, as its a key feature in the gaming experience offered by this gamer-oriented smartphone.
On the bottom and sides of the ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro, you will find USB type-c ports, which are strategically placed to help prevent the strain that goes along with planning games in either horizontal or vertical orientations when charging.
Also on the ergonomics train are ultrasonic air triggers on both ends of the right side of the frame and also on dual points on the rear. These ultrasonic air triggers can be mapped game controls, preventing you from cramming your fingers into the screen when playing games.
The gaming accessories as seen on the previous ROG phone releases still hold sway here, however, they are third-party accessories you would have to purchase separately from the smartphone.
Paper spec analysis does really reveal any upgrades from last year’s cameras. We pretty much have a set reminisced from the ASUS ROG Phone 3. This reminisce is evident on both the rear and front setup of the ROG Phone 5.
On the rear, we have a 64MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, a 13MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.4, and a 125-degree field of view. The last member of the rear setup is a 5MP macro with an aperture of f/2.0. This rear camera setup is capable of recording videos up to 8k @ 30fps.
Moving up front we have a single 24MP with an aperture of f/2.5. This camera is capable of shooting videos up to 1080 @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Moving the performance side, the ASUS ROG 5 Pro arsenal consists of an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 processor, which was the latest and greatest as at the time this article was written.
The other members of the performance setup include an Adreno 660 GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB of internal storage, and a non-removable 6000mAh Li-Po battery, which is split into two 3000mAh cells to reduce heat and also to facilitate the actualization of the imbibed 65W charging capacity.
On the software side, we have got the ROG user interface running on the Android 11 operating system.
Part of the software features on the ASUS ROG Phone 5 is the Armoury crate app, which lets enthusiasts set special profiles for different games. Games could launch with specific refresh rates, a CPU boost e.t.c
The ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro features two USB Type-C ports, one on the side and one on the bottom. We also have a 3.5mm headphone jack, NFC support, and Bluetooth 5.1.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G. This goes to say enthusiasts in areas with 5G reception can utilize 5G connectivity for downloads, streaming, and uploading.
ASUS ROG Phone 5 Price and Availability
The price of the ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro is around $1,422, which translates to about 540,360 Naira in Nigeria, 156,206 KSH in Kenya, and 8,169 GHS in Ghana.
The ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro was announced on March 10 2021 and is expected to go on sale in May 2021.
ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the ASUS ROG Phone 5 Pro:
- Platform: Android 11, ROG UI
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm) (Octa-core 1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680)
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 16GB RAM
- Colours: Phantom Black, Storm White
- Dimension: 172.8 x 77.3 x 10.3 mm
- Weight: 239 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.78 inches AMOLED, 1080 x 2448 Pixels, ~82.0% screen-to-body ratio, ~395 PPI, 144Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64 MP (Primary) f/1.8 + 13MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4, 125˚ FOV + 5MP (Macro) f/2.0
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama, PDAF, [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 24MP Camera, f/2.5, Panorama, HDR, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 48, 66, 71
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, GNSS
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.1 (side), USB Type-C 2.0 (bottom), accessory connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, GNSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (under display, optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 6000mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 65W Fast Charging Capacity