The Asus Rog Phone 3 represents the progress Asus has made over the years in the Gaming smartphone sector. It improves on the Asus ROG Phone 2 by offering enthusiasts what is described as a more capable gaming smartphone hardware packed with features that make smartphone gaming a lot more enjoyable. To further buttress the point, we explore its specs and price.
Where to Buy ASUS ROG Phone 3
Asus ROG Phone 3 Key Specs & Features
- 6.59 inch AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (391 PPI), HDR10, 19.5:9 Aspect Ratio
- Android 10, ROG UI
- Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 865+ (7nm+)
- 12GB RAM / 16GB RAM
- 512GB Built-in Storage
- 64MP + 13MP + 5MP Triple Rear camera
- 24MP Front Camera
- 5G Support
- Fingerprint Scanner (Under Display)
- Fast Charge (30W Capacity)
- 6000mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Asus didn’t really do much with respect to chassis design modification. The Asus Rog Phone 3 bears a very identical chassis design and build with its predecessor.
It shares the same weight, dimensions, and placements as the Asus Rog 2. Asus claimed they deliberately went through this route, in order to make the Rog Phone 2 gaming accessories compatible with the Rog Phone 3, with an exception to the air cooler 3 and the cases. The incompatibility of the latter is due to the presence of a third camera.
The build on this smartphone comprises Gorilla Glass 6 up front, Gorilla glass 3 on the rear, and Aluminum on the frame, which is the same as what we got last year.
The downside here is that it doesn’t support wireless charging despite having a glass black. Its also not water and dust resistant, which is caused by the opening created by the air vents on the rear.
The chassis designs on both smartphones may be identical, but they certainly aren’t entirely the same. Asus removed some of the orange accents found on the front-firing speakers and the air vents.
The removal of these orange accents is in response to complaints made by enthusiasts who found the orange color accents a bit distracting during gameplay.
No 3.5mm Headphone Jack
Another difference here is the absence of a 3.5mm headphone jack. Asus claimed they made this move to create room for the new 5G modem plus antenna.
However, you don’t totally lose the 3.5mm headphone jack entirely. Enthusiasts can make use of the 3.5mm headphone port on the Aircoller 3 accessory when attached to the phone. Otherwise, you would have to settle for a USB dongle.
A 144Hz Display
Thinking about the future of smartphone display by taking the Asus Rog Phone series as a case study is mind-blowing. The possibilities are quite endless. Asus keeps dishing quality upgrades yearly.
The display on smartphones in the Asus Rog Series may not bear the highest resolutions, but they do bear one of the best Touch and refresh rates, so much so that they have become a yardstick to tell how badass other smartphone displays are.
On the Asus Rog Phone 3, we have a 6.59 inch AMOLED display with a screen resolution 1080 x 2340, a screen density of 391 PPI, a 270Hz touch rate.
The most significant of these display specs is its 144Hz refresh rate, which is more than the 120Hz refresh rate on the Asus Rog Phone 2. Notable mentions are the Red magic 5G, which also features a 144Hz refresh rate.
The main news behind the camera upgrades on the Asus Rog Phone 3 is the presence of higher resolution cameras, as well as the introduction of a macro camera which leads to a transition from dual rear camera setup to triple rear camera setup.
The rear camera setup holds a 64MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, a 13MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.4 and a 5MP macro camera with an aperture of f/2.0.
Other video modes available here include 4k maxed at 120fps, 1080 maxed at 240fps, and also 720p maced at 480fps. You also ger HDR and Panorama mode for taking photos.
Selfies are manned by a 24MP shooter, with an aperture of f/2.0. This camera supports HDR, Panorama, and also videos maxed at 1080 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Since inception, the Asus Rog Phone has kept a legacy of always pushing smartphone performance to the extreme, pushing it beyond an assumed boundary.
The Asus Rog phone 3 continues that legacy. For starters, its the first smartphone to feature the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus Processor, which is 10% more efficient when compared to the regular Snapdragon 865 processor.
Still, on the extreme stuff, you also get a 16GB RAM variant, alongside a 12GB RAM variant. Storge variants were limited to just one. Enthusiasts will be settling for a 512GB storage.
Giving juice to this mobile phone is a non-removable 6000mAh Li-Po Battery and also a 30W fast charge system. Also note that placing this smartphone on the TwinView Dock 3 gives you an additional 5000mAh battery, which sums up to 11,000 mAh of battery juice.
To make things easier, the Asus Rog Phone 3 software lets you decide if you wish to use the Twin Dock battery or your smartphone battery.
Speaking on software, the Asus Rog Phone 3 runs the ROG interface on top of the Android 10 user interface.
The Asus Rog Phone 3 features two USB type-c ports, NFC, Bluetooth 5.1 dual-band wifi, and lots more.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G, which means enthusiasts can stream, download, and upload at 5G speed provided they are in an area with 5G reception.
Asus ROG Phone 3 Price and Availability
ASUS ROG Phone 3 price starts at around $550 for the base 8GB / 128GB variant, which translates to 453,693 Naira in Nigeria, 126,268 KSH in Kenya, and 6,788 GHC in Ghana.
The maxed-out 16GB / 512GB is around $1,291 which translates to 499,332 Naira in Nigeria, 138,969 KSH in Kenya and 7,470 GHC in Ghana.
Asus Rog Phone 3 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Asus Rog Phone 3:
- Platform: Android 10, ROG UI
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (1×3.1 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 12GB / 16GB
- Colours: Black Glare
- Dimension: 171 x 78 x 9.9 mm
- Weight: 240 g
- SIM Type: Nano
- SIM Count: Dual
- Display: 6.59-inch AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2340 Pixels, 144Hz Refresh Rate, 391 PPI, HDR 10+
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 64MP (Primary) f/2.8 + 13MP (Ultrawide) f/2.4 + 5MP (Macro) f/2.0
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, Panorama, [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 24 MP, f/2.0
- Built-in Storage: 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G WCDMA: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 – B version
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 48, 66, 71
- 5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 28, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA – A version 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA – B version
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, Dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Two (side 3.1, bottom 2.0) Type-C 1.0 Reversible Connector; Accessory Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS, GNSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (Under Display, Optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 6000 mAh
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 30W Capacity