The Samsung Galaxy A22 takes on the position formerly held by the Galaxy A21 and Galaxy A21s, with offerings, that set it in line as a successor. The highlights of the upgrades on the Galaxy A22 over the A21 include a richer display, a bigger battery, an improved camera system, and more.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy A22
Jumia Nigeria – See Offers | Jumia Kenya – See Offers | Jumia Ghana – See Offers
Samsung Galaxy A22 Key Specs and Features
- 6.4-inch, Super AMOLED Display, 720 x 1600 Pixels (~270 PPI), 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Android 11, One UI Core 3.1
- 4GB RAM / 6GB RAM
- Mediatek Helio G80 Octa-core Processor
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in storage, With SD-Card Support
- 48MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP Quad-rear cameras
- 13MP Front Camera
- 15W Capacity
- Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh Battery
Design and Display
The Samsung Galaxy A22 chassis design brandishes cues from seen other existing Samsung smartphones. This means, it may not appear totally new to many enthusiasts, as it’s not really an innovative design.
Taking a look at the rear of the device, we find a square camera module, with four cameras, arranged in a manner that resembles the rendition on the Samsung Galaxy A12. You will also find an LED flash and the Samsung branding sitting on the rear.
Moving up front, we find a 6.4-inch Super AMOLED display, with a drop notch. This setup sort of resembles what we have on the Samsung Galaxy A31. The highlights of this display, include a resolution of 720 x 1600, a density of about ~270 PPI, and a 90Hz refresh rate.
The build on the Galaxy A22 lacks premium materials, which is sort of par for the course, for smartphones in this category. Here we have plastic on the rear, plastic on the frame, and glass upfront.
The cameras on the Samsung Galaxy A22 are no doubt an upgrade over what we had on the Galaxy A21. Its camera specs sheet says it all.
On the rear, we have a 48MP primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8, an 8MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2, a 2MP Macro camera with an aperture of f/2.4, and a 2MP macro camera with an aperture of f/2.4. Video recording on this camera, is capped at 1080p @ 30fps.
Moving upfront to the front camera section, we find a single 13MP camera with an aperture of f/2.2. Video recording on this camera is capped at 1080p @ 30fps.
Hardware and Software
The processor on the Galaxy A22 is the Mediatek Helio G80, which is a good upgrade to the Helio P35 provided for the Galaxy A21. Graphics is handled by a Mali-G52 MC2 GPU.
Onboard, we have options for either 4GB or 6GB RAM, as opposed to 3GB RAM on its predecessor, we have 64GB / 128GB storage options, as opposed to 32GB storage on its predecessor, we also have a non-removable 5000mAh Li-Po battery which is paired with an 18W fast charging mechanism, which again is an upgrade over the A21.
On the software side, we have the One UI Core 3.1 user interface running on the Android 11 operating system.
For connectivity on this device, we have a 3.5mm headphone jack, a USB port, Bluetooth 5.0, and NFC.
Internet connectivity on the Samsung Galaxy A22 is capped at 4G LTE, 5G support is absent here, which means downloads, streaming, and uploads are limited to 4G speeds.
Samsung Galaxy A22 Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy A22 price in Nigeria starts at around 109,000 Naira. The Galaxy A22 also costs around $225 on Amazon US, 1110 GHC in Ghana, 3,799 EGP in Egypt, and 19,999 KES in Kenyan. The 5G model is also available on Amazon US for around $319. Both models are now available at leading online stores and retail outlets.
The Samsung Galaxy A22 was announced on June 3rd, 2021, and was released later in June 2021.
Samsung Galaxy A22 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy A22:
- Platform: Android 11, One UI Core 3.1
- Processor: Mediatek Helio G80 (12 nm) Octa-core (2.0 GHz dual-core Cortex A75 and 1.8 GHz hexa-core Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G52 MC2
- Memory: 4GB RAM / 6GB RAM
- Colours: Black, White, Mint, Violet
- Dimension: 159.3 x 73.6 x 8.4 mm
- Weight: 186g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 6.4 inches Super AMOLED Display, 720 x 1600 Pixels, ~274 PPI, 20:9 Ratio, 90Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Primary) f/1.8 + 8MP (Ultrawide) f/2.2 + 2MP (Macro) f/2.4 + 2MP (Depth) f/2.4
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, Panorama, HDR, [email protected]
- Front Camera: 13MP Camera, f/2.2, 1080 @ 30fps
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Yes
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- NFC: –
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Side-Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: Non-Removable 5000 mAh Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 15W Fast Charging Capacity