Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is the 2022 iteration of Samsung’s premium foldable smartphone. The android smartphone offers a slimmer and lighter design with an improved camera and a brighter display. Launched alongside the Galaxy Z Flip 4, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 features a brilliant 7.6-inch display, a 6.2-inch cover display, and a total of five cameras.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 Key Specs and Features
- 7.6 inch Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 1812 x 2176 pixels, 120Hz Refresh Rate
- 6.2-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 904 x 2316 pixels
- Android 12L, One UI 4.1.1
- Qualcomm SM8475 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa Core Processor
- 12GB RAM
- 1TB, 256GB, 512GB Built-in storage
- Fingerprint Sensor (side mounted)
- 50 MP (wide) + 10 MP (Telephoto) + 12 MP (ultrawide) Triple Rear Camera
- 4 MP Under Display Camera
- 10MP Cover Camera
- IPX8 Water Resistance
- 4G LTE Support
- 5G Support
- 25W Fast Charging Capacity
- 4400 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 has the same pocket book design of the Galaxy Z Fold 3. However, it is slightly thinner and about 3mm has been shaved off the length and its is about 2mm wider making it easier to hold.
Despite the changes in dimensions, the Samsung phone still keeps the same display sizes as its predecessor, though due to the changes in the dimensions the aspect ratio is different.
The main display is still a 7.6-inch Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with 1812 x 2176 pixels. The screen is now brighter with a slimmer bezel and an under display camera that gets out of the way for a more immersive experience.
It is a great display for watching movies and browsing the web and with a large screen and 120Hz refresh rate, it will be a good gaming phone.
You get S-Pen support on the main display, so you can take notes and make sketches on this device. The S-Pen is not bundled with the device so you have to buy one separately or use your existing pen if you have the S Pen Pro or S Pen Fold Edition.
Folding the smartphone, the cover display still measures a 6.2-inches, though overall it is now wider and shorter. This is a Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with a 904 x 2316 pixels resolution.
The back is protected with the Corning Gorilla Victus Plus while the flexible screen is now more durable with the frames and hinge built of armor aluminium. This makes the smartphone a lot more sturdy.
Built for Productivity
Samsung is positioning the Galaxy Z Fold 4 as a productivity device. The large tablet-size screen and S-Pen support means the device is better positioned to take the vacuum left by the now defunct Galaxy Note Series that ended with the Galaxy Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra.
It is built for improved multitasking with a new Taskbar that makes it easy to navigate through multiple windows.
The main screen feature multi screen which can come handy when handling emails. You don’t have to toggle messages list and the actual message as both can be elegantly shown on one screen.
Flex Mode is great for productivity. This is when the phone is used folded in half in a laptop orientation with bottom half siting on the flat surface serving like a touchpad for navigating content and the other half like the screen.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 features five cameras overall. You get three cameras on the back, one under the display camera in the main foldable display, and the fifth camera on the cover display.
This is similar to the camera distribution of the Fold3, though the camera specs are now very different and upgraded with improvement in quality.
The rear camera comprises a 50 megapixels wide angle primary camera with an aperture of f/1.8 and support for Dual-Pixel Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) and Optical Image Stabilization (OIS).
The main camera is paired with a 10 megapixels telephoto lens offering an f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS, and 3x Optical Zoom as well as a 12MP ultrawide camera with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 123˚ field of view.
You are getting improved picture quality with this camera with up to 30x digital zoom. Since the cover sits side-by-side with the great quality triple rear camera, you can take selfies with the main camera, giving you great quality selfies. The device can save your pictures in Expert RAW.
Now for the in-screen cameras, we have a 10MP punch-hole wide-angle camera on the cover display with an aperture of f/2.2 , which is similar to the Fold3.
The camera in the foldable display is now more modest at 4 megapixels with wide-angle lens. Like in the 2021 Fold, the camera is positioned under display however, this time around it is less noticeable.
You can record 4K videos on both the main and cover camera. Slow Motion recording is also supported on the main offering 960fps at 720p HD video recording.
Overall, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is offering an much better camera more befitting of a smartphone within its price point, how ever the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra and its more affordable siblings like the Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22 Plus still boast of the best cameras on a Samsung phone.
Hardware and Software
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 comes with an upgraded chipset. The Qualcomm SM8475 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm) octa-core chipset features a tri-cluster architecture with a single-core Cortex-X2, a tri-core Cortex-A710, and a quad-core Cortex A510 clocked at 3.19GHz, 2.75GHz, and 1.8GHz respectively.
This is the same chipset available in the Galaxy Z Flip 4 and is a slight upgrade compared to the chipset in the Galaxy S22 series.
The smartphone offers 12GB RAM with the option of 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB built-in storage. Similar to iPhone models like the iPhone X and iPhone XR as well as the more recent iPhone 13 Pro Max there is no memory card slot in the device.
The camera is still at 4400 mAh which is a bit disappointing. You get 25W fast charging, though the charger is not included in the box. 15W wireless charging and 4.5W reversed wireless charging is also supported.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is the first device to come with Android 12L out of the box. Android 12L is a version of Android 12 built for tablets.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G features Dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.1, and NFC. It also features a USB Type-C port for charging and data transfer.
Internet connectivity is capped at 5G on Fold 3. This means enthusiasts will have the luxury of 5G internet speed, provided they are in an area with 5G reception.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G price starts at around $1,569 at leading online stores. The Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G costs around 1,090,000 Naira in Nigeria, 196,811 KES in Kenya, 10,821 GHC in Ghana.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G was announced on August 2022 and became available for purchase same month.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4:
- Platform: Android 12L, One UI 4.1.1
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8475 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa Core Processor (3.19 GHz Cortex-X2 and 2.75 GHz tri-core Cortex-A710 and 1.80 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 730
- Memory: 12GB RAM
- Colours: Graygreen, Phantom Black, Beige, Burgundy
- Dimension: Unfolded: 155.1 x 130.1 x 6.3 mm, Folded: 155.1 x 67.1 x 14.2-15.8 mm
- Weight: 263 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual-SIM
- Display: 7.6 inches Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 1812 x 2176 pixels (~373 ppi density), ~90.9% screen-to-body ratio, 120Hz; 6.2 inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 120Hz, 904 x 2316 pixels, 23.1:9 ratio
- Screen Protection: Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 120Hz, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 50 MP (wide) + 10 MP (Telephoto) + 12 MP (ultrawide)
- Rear Camera Features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: 4 MP
- Built-in Storage: 1TB, 256GB, 512GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 2G CDMA 1X: CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes, HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes USB Type-C 3.2, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (Side Mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 4400 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 25W Fast Charging Capacity, Charge from 0 to 50% in 30 minutes, 15W Fast Wireless Charging Capacity, 4.5W Reverse Wireless Charging