Motorola Razr 40 is one of the finest flip smartphones in 2023. It packs an improved design compare to its predecessor, with a 6.9-inch pOLED display panel and an outstanding 3.6-inch cover display. The Motorola Razr 40 has a powerful processor, a good camera system and a better battery. This foldable phone can battle the likes of Samsung’s Galaxy Z Flip 4 as the lowest priced foldable phone.
Where to Buy Moto Razr 40
Motorola Razr 40 Key Specs and Features
- 6.9 inches Foldable LTPO AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2640 pixels (~413 ppi density), ~85.1% screen-to-body ratio
- Android 13
- Qualcomm SM7450-AB Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa Core Processor
- 8GB, 12GB RAM
- 64 MP (wide) + 13 MP (ultrawide) Dual Rear Camera
- 32 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (side mounted)
- 128GB, 256GB Built-in Storage
- 4G LTE Support
- 5G Support
- 30W Fast Charging Capacity
- 4200 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Motorola has taken a bold step with the design of the Razr 40, reviving the iconic Razr flip phone with a modern foldable twist. Motorola’s attention to design detail shines through with the lightweight build, rounded edges, and attractive finishes, reminiscent of the Galaxy Z Flip line. The use of vegan leather not only adds to the premium feel but also provides a better grip and reduces fingerprint smudges.
Furthermore, the Motorola Razr 40 has a teardrop hinge system, that allows it to close completely flat with minimal gaps, thus resulting in a practically crease-free inner display. The improved hinge system allows for a near-seamless closure when folded, providing enhanced protection against dust and debris.
The inner pOLED display is impressive at 6.9 inches screen. It is protected by a Gorilla Glass Victus coating and IP52 water and dust resistance, hence, rating further bolster the phone’s durability.
On the cover there is a narrow 1.5-inch panel that sits to the right of the dual camera setup on the rear with a flash light. Additionally, one significant design advantage of the Razr 40 is its dual SIM card slot, which allows users to use two physical SIM cards instead of relying solely on eSIM technology.
The Motorola Razr 40 boast an impressive foldable LTPO AMOLED displays, featuring 1 billion colors and a smooth 144Hz refresh rate. It also has a resolution of 1080 x 2640 pixels results in a pixel density of around 413 ppi, producing sharp and detailed visuals.
With HDR10+ support and a peak brightness of 1400 nits, this foldable phone deliver stunning visuals and vibrant colors, ensuring an enjoyable viewing experience in various lighting conditions. The large 6.9-inch internal display, covers approximately 85.1% of the screen-to-body ratio, thus offering a spacious canvas for multimedia and productivity tasks. Its
Additionally, the Motorola Razr 40 sports a smaller 1.5-inch AMOLED display with a peak brightness of 1000 nits, limiting its functionality to basic information display. Unlike the Razr 40 Ultra variant which provides a more expansive second external screen, this small 1.5-inch screen can only display the most basic information, so there’s no way to reply to messages like the Ultra, let alone open some apps.
The camera setup on the Motorola Razr 40 is impressive, featuring a 64MP main camera with a wide f/1.7 aperture, optical image stabilization (OIS), pixel binning technology, laser autofocus, and an ambient light sensor. While the main camera has a higher megapixel count than the Razr 40 Ultra, the Ultra model stands out with its wider f/1.5 aperture, which allows for better low-light photography and improved detail capture.
Accompanying the main camera is a 13MP ultrawide lens, providing quality image, making it a reliable option for capturing expansive landscapes and group shots. The camera features LED flash, panorama, and HDR capabilities, ensuring versatility in various shooting scenarios.
Although the Motorola Razr 40 lighting conditions were not ideal for comprehensive evaluation. Nevertheless, the camera’s OIS, laser autofocus, and pixel binning technology contribute to enhanced image stability, focus accuracy, and improved detail in photos.
On the front, the 32MP selfie camera offers high-resolution selfies with an f/2.4 aperture. While the Razr 40 lacks the large camera preview feature found in the 40 Ultra, it still promises to deliver satisfactory selfie results for everyday use.
Hardware and Software
The Motorola Razr 40’s processing department might not be on par with true flagship chipsets, as it is equipped with the year-old Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 coupled with up to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. While the Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 is still a capable chipset, it might not offer the same level of performance as the more recent Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 found in the Razr 40 Ultra.
On the software front, Motorola generally excels with its close-to-stock Android experience, and the Razr 40 follows suit with a version close to Android 13. The software brings minimal changes, and the few modifications offered are usually welcome and practical, such as quick gesture-based features like rotating the phone to open the camera or performing a karate chop to activate the torch.
The Ready For feature enhances the phone’s versatility by enabling a desktop-like experience when connected to an external display, mouse, and keyboard, boasting impressive support for Windows 10 and 11.
Additionally, the Razr 40 houses a larger 4300mAh battery compared to the Razr 40 Ultra’s 3800mAh battery. Despite having only a slightly higher capacity than the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4, the Razr 40 demonstrated impressive battery performance, comfortably lasting through a typical day of usage.
It also comes with the 30W wired charging capability, the phone can be quickly refilled when needed. However, the 5W wireless charging might not be as fast and is best suited for overnight charging.
For connectivity, this Motorola foldable phone comes with 5G connectivity for fast internet speeds, as well as Wi-Fi 6e, Bluetooth 5.3, and NFC. It also sports a USB Type-C Port (USB 2.0) for fast charging and wired communications.
Motorola Razr 40 Price and Availability
Motorola Razr 40 price starts at $ 730 / € 769 / £ 819/ ₹63,499 at leading online stores. The Razr 40 price in Nigeria starts at around ₦570,000.
Motorola Razr 40 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Motorola Razr 40:
- Platform: Android 13
- Processor: Qualcomm SM7450-AB Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa Core Processor (2.4 GHz Cortex-A710 and 2.36 GHz tri-core Cortex-A710 and 1.8 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Adreno 644
- Memory: 8GB, 12GB RAM
- Colours: Sage Green, Vanilla Cream, Summer Lilac, Grape Compote
- Dimension: Unfolded: 170.8 x 74 x 7.4 mm, Folded: 88.2 x 74 x 15.8 mm
- Weight: 188.6 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.9 inches Foldable LTPO AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2640 pixels (~413 ppi density), ~85.1% screen-to-body ratio
- Screen Protection: Gorilla Glass Victus
- Foldable Display: Yes
- Rear Camera: 64 MP (wide), f/1.7, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS + 13 MP (ultrawide), f/2.2, 120˚ FoV, Autofocus Dual Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, Panorama, HDR, 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 32 MP (wide), f/2.4 Camera, HDR, 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps
- Built-in Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 2G CDMA 1X: CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G LTE: LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 48, 66 – International
- 5G: 5G Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 26, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 – International
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, Wi-Fi 6, dual-band or tri-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.3, A2DP, EDR, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type-C 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: –
- Navigation: Yes, GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (side mounted)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 4200 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 30W Fast Charging Capacity