The Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro is the next-generation flagship smartphone from Google, succeeding the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro. It comes with an updated designs, new displays, upgraded cameras and an improved Tensor G3 chip, and an upgraded OS platform with loads of interesting AI features.
Where to Buy Google Pixel 8
Google Pixel 8 Key Specs and Features
- 6.2 inches OLED Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels (~428 ppi density), ~85.5% screen-to-body ratio
- Android 14
- Google Tensor G3 (4 nm) Nona Core Processor
- 8GB RAM
- 50 MP (wide) + 12 MP (ultrawide) Dual Rear Camera
- 10.5 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (under display, optical)
- 128GB, 256GB Built-in Storage
- 4G LTE Support
- 5G Support
- 27W Fast Charging Capacity
- 4575 mAh Non-removable Li-ion Battery
The Google Pixel 8 is slightly smaller than its predecessor, making it more manageable in hand. It has a flat screen design, which offers a bit more grip and real estate along the edges, improving the overall feel of the phone.
Furthermore, Google has opted for a matte glass back on the Pixel 8, a shift from the glossy finish of the previous model. This matte finish, particularly in the new baby blue color option, gives the phone a spiffy look. However, it does make the phone a bit slippery to hold, which can be a concern. The side frame provides some much-needed grip to compensate for this.
Compare to the Pixel 8 Pro large profile, the smaller size of the Pixel 8 is a welcome change, measuring 150.5 x 70.8 x 8.9 mm, this device offers a more “reasonably sized” option in a world of increasingly large smartphones. Meanwhile, the curved corners contribute to a more comfortable grip, reducing the risk of discomfort during prolonged use.
On the rear, Google continues with its signature design language introduced with the Pixel 6. The visor-style camera bar, made of brushed aluminum, remains a defining feature of the Pixel 8 series, extending across the top of the phone’s back.
Additionally, the Pixel 8 front has a slightly smaller 6.2-inch screen compared to the Pixel 7, making it a tad more compact. The flat screen design offers a bit more grip, and the phone remains unmistakably Pixel.
Above all, the Pixel 8 phones may have a seemingly identical design to the Pixel 7 phones but there are several smaller changes here that make a big difference to the way the phones feel.
The Google Pixel 8 boasts a 6.2-inch OLED display, which not only delivers a compact screen size but also impresses with its slim bezels, giving you a more immersive visual experience. The display features a variable refresh rate ranging from 60Hz to 120Hz, ensuring smoother scrolling and an improved overall user experience.
This display has up to 1,400 nits in HDR and a dazzling peak brightness of 2,000 nits, it stands out as one of the brightest displays in the industry. The brightness factor contributes to excellent outdoor visibility, even under bright sunlight, making it a standout feature when compared to the Pixel 7 and the Pixel 7a, which might appear dim in similar conditions.
Furthermore, the 6.2-inch screen has a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels with a 20:9 aspect ratio, ensuring that content appears sharp and detailed. Likewise, the colors on the Pixel 8’s screen are vibrant and vivid, providing a visually appealing experience whether you’re reading text, watching videos, or viewing photos. It also has high contrast and impressive dynamic range that further enhance the quality of content, making it a joy to use for various tasks.
The Pixel 8 also features an “Always-on Display.” This means that even when the screen is technically off, it can display certain information like the time, date, notifications, and more, without significantly draining the battery.
Above all, this display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass Victus. This is one of the toughest glass solutions available, providing superior protection against scratches and impacts. It helps safeguard the screen from everyday wear and tear, making it more resilient and durable.
Google Pixel 8 has a dual rear camera setup that includes a high-resolution 50-megapixel primary camera with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) for steady and sharp shots. Complementing this impressive primary lens is a 12-megapixel ultrawide camera.
The Pixel 8’s primary camera has a f/1.7 aperture and a sensor size of 1/1.31 inches, and leverages the power of 9-in-1 pixel binning, combining nine pixels into one to excel in low-light situations. With its wide aperture and OIS support, this camera ensures that your photos are clear, well-focused, and vivid, even in challenging lighting conditions.
Moreover, the primary sensor’s Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) capability enables quick and precise focusing. It also has a 25mm focal length that offers a broader field of view compared to standard lenses, allowing you to capture more in your shots.
Meanwhile, the ultrawide-angle camera provides a wide 126-degree field of view, making it perfect for capturing vast landscapes and group shots. It features an f/2.2 aperture and individual pixels measuring 1.25µm, which makes it well-suited for low-light conditions. This camera delivers high-quality images with enhanced brightness and detail, expanding your creative possibilities.
For selfie shots, the Pixel 8 offers a 10.5-megapixel front camera with an f/2.2 aperture and individual pixels measuring 1.22µm. This combination ensures that your selfies are sharp, clear, and vibrant, whether you’re capturing everyday moments or striking self-portraits.
In addition, the Pixel 8’s camera system supports impressive video recording capabilities. You can capture 4K video at 24/30/60fps, ensuring high-resolution video with clarity and detail. Furthermore, it offers the option to shoot 1080p video at up to 30/60/120/240fps, delivering smoother motion for your videos.
Hardware and Software
Inside the Pixel 8, you will find the Tensor G3, the third-generation custom chipset from Google, which is based on Samsung’s 4nm manufacturing process. It features a nona-core design with 3.0GHz Cortex-X3, 2.45GHz quad-core Cortex-A715, and 2.15GHz quad-core Cortex-A510. The GPU is an Immortalis-G715 MP10. This allows the Pixel 8 to deliver fast and responsive performance, even when running demanding apps and multitasking. This makes this device one of the best gaming phones.
The Pixel offers up to 8GB of RAM LPDDR5X memory, which helps to ensure smooth performance and fast app loading times. For storage, you get a choice of 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1 TB UFS 3.1, but there is no MicroSD card for expansions.
Additionally, the Pixel 8 run on Android 14 out of the box which is the latest version of Google’s mobile operating system. This OS offers a lot of AI features including the new Audio Magic Eraser, Magic Editor, the Best Take feature, Video Boost and Assistant with Bard.
Above all, Android 14 includes a number of performance improvements, such as smoother animations and faster app loading times. The Android 14 also includes a number of new security and privacy features, such as restrictions on sideloading apps and a new permission manager that gives users more control over the permissions that apps can request.
Furthermore, Google Pixel 8 is powered by a 4575 mAh, non-removable battery which supports fast charging using the PD3.0 technology. It also supports wireless charging speed of 18W. For connectivity, the Pixel 8 supports Wi-Fi 7, tri-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.3, NFC, USB-C, and 5G connectivity, which provides faster download and upload speeds compared to 4G LTE.
Google Pixel 8 Price and Availability
Google Pixel 8 price starts at $ 699.00 / € 799.00 / £ 699.00 at leading online stores like Amazon.com. The Pixel 8 price in Nigeria starts at around ₦730,999.
Google Pixel 8 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Google Pixel 8:
- Platform: Android 14
- Processor: Google Tensor G3 (4 nm) Nona Core Processor (3.0 GHz Cortex-X3 and 2.45 GHz quad-core Cortex-A715 and 2.15 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510)
- GPU: Immortalis-G715s MC10
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Obsidian, Hazel, Rose
- Dimension: 150.5 x 70.8 x 8.9 mm
- Weight: 187 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM, eSIM
- SIM Count: –
- Display: 6.2 inches OLED Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels (~428 ppi density), ~85.5% screen-to-body ratio, 120Hz Refresh Rate, HDR10+, 1400 nits (HBM), 2000 nits (peak) Brightness, Always-on Display
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50 MP (wide), f/1.7, dual pixel PDAF, Laser AF, OIS + 12 MP (ultrawide), f/2.2, 126˚ FoV, Autofocus Dual Camera
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED flash, Pixel Shift, Ultra-HDR, panorama, Best Take, 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps; gyro-EIS, OIS, 10-bit HDR
- Front Camera: 10.5 MP (wide), f/2.2 Camera, Auto-HDR, Panorama, 4K@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps
- Built-in Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71 – GKWS6, G9BQD
- 5G: Yes, 5G Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66, 70, 71, 77, 78, 258, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave – GKWS6; 5G Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41, 48, 66, 70, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 – G9BQD
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e/7, Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi 7, tri-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.3, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type-C 3.2
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, GPS (L1+L5), GLONASS (G1), GALILEO (E1+E5a), QZSS (L1+L5)
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (under display, optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes, 18W Wireless Charging Capacity, Reverse Wireless Charging
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes, IP68 (survives for up to 30 minutes in up to 1.5 meters of fresh water)
- Dust Resistant: Yes, IP68
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 4575 mAh Non-removable Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 27W Fast Charging Capacity