Samsung has unveiled its latest Fan Edition Galaxy S23 FE, as the newest member of its Galaxy S23 flagship series. The Samsung Galaxy S23 FE has several upgrades including a a better camera setup, a larger vapor chamber cooling system, a sharper display, a new power-efficient and faster chipset, with a larger battery and premium design at an accessible price.
Samsung Galaxy S23 FE Key Specs and Features
- 6.4 inches Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (~403 ppi density), ~83.2% screen-to-body ratio
- Android 13, One UI 5.1
- Exynos 2200 (4 nm) Octa Core Processor or Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa-core Processor
- 8GB RAM
- 50 MP (wide) + 8 MP (telephoto) + 12 MP (ultrawide) Triple Rear Camera
- 10 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (under display, optical)
- 128GB, 256GB Built-in Storage
- 4G LTE Support
- 5G Support
- 25W Fast Charging Capacity
- 4500 mAh Non removable Li-ion Battery
Samsung Galaxy S23 FE design create a balance between the Galaxy S23 and the Galaxy S23 Plus, measuring a dimension of 158 x 76.5 x 8.2 mm and 209 g in weight. This device also feature glass on the front and back with aluminum frame, which contributes to its premium look and feel.
Meanwhile, Samsung has opted for Gorilla Glass 5 for the S23 FE, which is slightly less durable than the Gorilla Glass Victus 2 used on the S23. However, this choice still adds to the overall premium construction of the device.
Moving to the front, the S23 FE features a nearly bezel-less display that offers an immersive viewing experience. The front camera is discreetly housed within a punch-hole cutout at the top center of the screen, maximizing the available screen space. The device is available in a range of attractive colors, including Mint, Purple, Cream, and Graphite, with the latter adding a touch of sophistication.
The back of the S23 FE boasts a glossy finish, adding to its premium look and feel. As with the other Galaxy S23 series, the camera setup is arranged in a vertical stack in the top-left corner, which is referred to as the “floating camera design” maintaining a distinctive and contrasting design element. While this design choice may appear less refined compared to the rest of the Galaxy S23 series, it doesn’t significantly impact usability.
Furthermore, the button placement is user-friendly, with the volume rocker and power button on the left side and a dedicated Bixby button on the right. These buttons offer tactile feedback, making them easy to use while minimizing the risk of accidental presses.
Above all, this Samsung phone offer IP68 water and dust protection, ensuring that they can withstand exposure to water and dust in various conditions.
The Samsung Galaxy S23 FE boasts a 6.4-inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X display, which adds to its overall appeal as a mid-range device. It offers a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, resulting in a pixel density of approximately 403 pixels per inch (PPI). With a size of 6.4 inches, it falls between the Galaxy S23 and S23+ in terms of screen real estate.
Furthermore, feature of the display is its support for an adaptive refresh rate, ranging from 60Hz to 120Hz. This dynamic refresh rate adjustment ensures a smoother experience while conserving battery life.
Meanwhile, one notable improvement is the screen’s maximum brightness, which can reach up to 1,450 nits, making it even more suitable for outdoor use and enhancing visibility in various lighting conditions.
Additionally, the Galaxy S23 FE display also supports HDR10+, which enhances the viewing experience by providing high dynamic range content with improved contrast and color depth. The OLED panel delivers vibrant colors and wide viewing angles, making content appear vivid and engaging. The screen’s contrast adds depth to images and videos, contributing to an enjoyable viewing experience.
The Samsung Galaxy S23 FE’s camera setup is undoubtedly one of its standout features, bringing a flagship-like experience to a more affordable device.
It features a 50-megapixel primary camera, which is the same as the flagship S23 model. While the hardware is similar, differences in chipset and software optimizations may affect the overall image quality. Samsung is particularly emphasizing the camera’s low-light performance, which could be a significant advantage for capturing quality photos in challenging lighting conditions.
Complementing the main camera is a 12-megapixel ultrawide sensor, offering a wide field of view at 123 degrees. This allows for creative and expansive shots, particularly for landscape and group photos.
Additionally, what sets the S23 FE apart in its price range is the inclusion of an 8-megapixel telephoto sensor. It’s uncommon to find a zoom lens on a mid-range phone, as they often opt for macro or depth cameras. This 3x optical zoom lens is likely to provide users with better close-up and portrait shots.
The Galaxy S23 FE impresses with its video capabilities, including support for 8K video recording at 24fps. This is a feature usually reserved for premium flagship devices and sets the S23 FE apart in its price category. Additionally, it offers 4K at 60fps and 4K at 30fps recording options. The ability to shoot in 8K is remarkable, and it adds a level of versatility for users interested in high-quality video content.
Additionally, the front camera features a 12-megapixel sensor with dual pixel technology, which is a proven technology in other flagship Samsung phones. While the resolution is slightly lower than some flagship models, it still delivers good quality selfies, and it can capture footage at 4K 30fps.
Hardware and Software
The Samsung Galaxy S23 FE, like its predecessors, follows a strategy of offering strong performance without reaching the flagship price point of the original model. It is powered by the Exynos 2200 chipset, which, while not the latest and greatest, still offers a robust performance.
While the Exynos 2200 chipset may not be the absolute latest, it still delivers a solid performance, particularly for day-to-day tasks and casual gaming. However, it’s worth noting that the Exynos 2200 can heat up and consume more power under heavy loads, so the device’s performance under intense gaming sessions may vary.
The S23 FE also has a large vapor chamber cooling system which is a notable addition, designed to maintain optimal temperature levels during intense tasks like gaming or streaming, enhancing the user experience.
The phone comes with 8GB of RAM, which should provide smooth multitasking and app performance. Users have the option of choosing between 128GB and 256GB of internal storage, providing ample space for apps, media, and files.
Furthermore, Samsung has equipped the Galaxy S23 FE with a substantial 4,500mAh battery, which is larger than the battery found in the standard Galaxy S23. This sizable battery capacity should offer good endurance, especially when coupled with the more power-efficient Exynos 2200 chipset. Models in the USA offers the Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm) octa-core processor instead.
It also has a fast charging support which ensures that users can quickly recharge their devices, with the potential to regain up to 50% of the battery in just 30 minutes using a compatible 25W USB-C charger.
The Galaxy S23 FE runs on Android 13 with Samsung’s One UI 5.1 on top. Samsung’s One UI is known for its user-friendly interface and customization options. It offers a smooth and familiar user experience for those accustomed to Samsung’s ecosystem. You also get Wi-Fi 6, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.3, NFC and GPS. The 5G phone also comes with Virtual proximity sensing and Samsung’s signature features such as DeX for PC, Samsung Pay, and Knox security.
Samsung Galaxy S23 FE Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy S23 FE price starts at $669 / ₹ 59,999. The Galaxy S23 FE costs 632000 Naira in Nigeria and 109,000 KES in Kenya.
Samsung Galaxy S23 FE Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy S23 FE:
- Platform: Android 13, One UI 5.1
- Processor: Exynos 2200 (4 nm) – International Octa Core Processor (2.8 GHz Cortex-X2 and 2.50 GHz tri-core Cortex-A710 and 1.8 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510) – International; Qualcomm SM8450 Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (4 nm) Octa-core Processor (3.00 GHz Cortex-X2 and 2.50 GHz tri-core Cortex-A710 and 1.80 GHz quad-core Cortex-A510) – USA
- GPU: Xclipse 920 – International, Adreno 730 – USA
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Mint, Cream, Graphite, Purple, Indigo, Tangerine
- Dimension: 158 x 76.5 x 8.2 mm
- Weight: 209 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM, eSIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.4 inches Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (~403 ppi density), ~83.2% screen-to-body ratio, 120Hz Refresh Rate, HDR10+, 1450 nits (peak) Brightness
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 50 MP (wide), f/1.8, PDAF, OIS + 8 MP (telephoto), f/2.4, PDAF, 3x Optical Zoom + 12 MP (ultrawide), f/2.2, 123˚ FoV Triple Camera
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, HDR, Panorama, 8K@24fps, 4K@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, 720p@960fps
- Front Camera: 10 MP (wide), f/2.4 Camera
- Built-in Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 26, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66 – International
- 5G: Yes, 5G Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 – International
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, Wi-Fi 6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.3, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type-C, OTG
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Unspecified
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (under display, optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: –
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: –
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes, IP68, survives for up to 30 minutes in up to 1.5 liters of fresh water
- Dust Resistant: Yes, IP68
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: –
- Document Editor: –
- Battery: 4500 MAh Non-removable Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 25W Fast Charging Capacity, Power Delivery 2.0, zero to 50% in 30 minutes