The 8.0-inch member of the third generation of Samsung’s general purpose tablet line, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is the most endowed. It features the most brilliant display in the line and also offers the best camera. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 comes with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean), LTE (option), an IR Blaster, and unique security features that will appeal to enterprise customers.
If you find the 7.0-inch tablets too small and the 10.1-inch galaxy tab too large, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 might be your compromise. Samsung appears not to be selling the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 in Nigeria.
8.0-inch Android Tablet
The second generation line of Galaxy Tab had no 8.0-inch model, rather it had a 7.7-inch model, but with Apple launching the iPad Mini with a 7.9-inch Samsung has decided to introduce an 8-inch model. Looking at all members of the line the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 brings the best value.
In fact, I can only find four reasons why you should choose the other 2 Galaxy Tabs over the 8.0-inch model and they are 1) too small for you, 2) too big for you 3) too expensive for your budget, and 4) it is not marketed in your country. If you have these issues, the 8.0-inch Galaxy Tab should be your choice.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 runs Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) on a 1.5GHz dual-core processor with 1.5GB RAM provided. The 8.0-inch display comes with the same resolution as the 10.1-inch model, making it the most brilliant of the current generation, although still underwhelming compared to the latest Nexus 7.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 features a 5 megapixels rear camera with 720p HD video. It also features a 1.3 megapixels front facing camera.
One major addition to third generation Galaxy Tabs is the Samsung for Enterprise (SAFE), which features on-device encryption and VPN support and offers security to users for work and play. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 also comes with this security feature.
The Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 can also be seen as an over-sized mobile phone, since unlike some tablets, it can handle voice calls, MMS, and SMS over cellular networks.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is currently available in some countries. While the other two sizes (7.0-inch and 10.1-inch) were launched in Nigeria a couple of weeks ago, the 8-inch model was omitted suggesting that it is not available in Nigeria at least officially. We do not have any official info on Nigeria pricing but based on some international pricing information, we expect the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 price in Nigeria to range from N45,000 to N80,000, depending on built-in storage.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Specs:
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0:
- Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- 1.5 GHz dual-core Processor
- Mali-400MP GPU
- 1.5 GB RAM
- 16 GB or 32 GB built-in storage
- up to 64 GB microSD memory
- 8.0-inch Touch Display (1280 x 800 pixels, 189 ppi)
- 5MP Camera with 720p HD Video & Autofocus
- 1.3MP front facing camera
- Micro SIM
- Weight: 314 g
- Dimensions: 209.8 x 123.8 x 7.4 mm
- TouchWiz UI
- On-device Encryption
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
- Colour: White, Gold
- GSM Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- 3G/3.5G (UMTS/HSUPA/HSDPA) 850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz
- LTE (up to 100Mbps)
- HSPA+ (up to 21 Mbps download speed)
- Accelerometer, digital compass, proximity
- 3.5mm audio jack
- Bluetooth 4.0 AD2P
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot feature
- IR Blaster (for universal remote control)
- USB 2.0
- USB on the Go, USB Host
- 50GB Free Dropbox Storage (two years)
- TV Out
- Document viewer/editor
- Facebook, Twitter
- image/video editor
- Navigation with Google Maps, GPS, A-GPS
- Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps, Google Talk, YouTube, Picasa
- email/push email/IM
- Music player (MP3, WAV, eAAC+, Fac)
- Video player (MP4, WMA, 3GPP)
- WAP 2.0/XHTML/HTML Browser
- Battery capacity: 4450 mAh
- Use Time: up to 11 hours
- Music Playback: up to 96 hours