Samsung unveiled the flagship Galaxy S6, along with its Edge variant, on the eve of the MWC 2015 in Barcelona, confirming virtually everything that had been said about the devices before the unveiling. The regular Samsung Galaxy S6 did not disappoint, packing in awesome processing speeds, lightning-fast camera and faster battery charging, amongst other impressive features. Samsung Galaxy S7 is now available.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 is the predecessor of the Samsung Galaxy S7.
As expected, Samsung decided to go full-metal with the Galaxy S6. The metal design is indeed an impressive one, with the use of matte aluminium alloy frame. It is a marked departure from its predecessors in this regard.
The straight-sided smartphone has slightly-rounded corners and is protected on the front with state-of-the-art Corning Gorilla Glass 4.
Display and Camera
Samsung thought it well to leave the screen unchanged as it was on the Galaxy S5. Samsung Galaxy S6 is fitted with a 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display with an impressive resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels and an amazing 577 pixels per inch!
In short, you have a crispy clear screen here. But the screen is not as curved as that on the Galaxy S6 Edge.
For the camera, Samsung provided a 16 megapixels sensor with an F1.9 lens, which at the launch event outperformed Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus in terms of low-light pictures.
The super-fast snapper can be quickly launched by double-tapping the Home button. There is also a quality 5 megapixels front-facing camera on the Samsung Galaxy S6.
Processor and Software
Just as it had been speculated in some quarters, Samsung’s own 64-bit, octa-core Exynos processor was chosen for the Samsung Galaxy S6 over the more popular and tested Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 chipset.
There must be something which we don’t see but that the smartphone manufacturer knows about the Exynos processor here.
LPDDR4 RAM of 3GB, which the company described as 88 percent faster, supports the processor.
The device will be available in 32GB, 64GB and 128GB internal storage models. Samsung Galaxy S6 runs on the latest Android 5.0 (Lollipop) operating system with an improved TouchWiz user interface.
Samsung Galaxy S6 supports wireless charging as well as quick charging. Its maker says the embedded 2550mAh battery can attain 30 percent charge in around 30 minutes of charging.
Samsung Galaxy S6 also comes with better fingerprint scanning ability and is expected to support the Korean company’s new mobile payment system, Samsung Pay with support for magnetic strips, amongst other great features.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy S6 is now available in Nigeria, though global launch began on April 10, 2015. You can now buy the flagship smartphone from leading online stores in the country. Samsung Galaxy S6 Price in Nigeria ranges from 182,000 to 250,000 Naira depending in your location in the country.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Samsung Galaxy S6:
- Platform: Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop), TouchWiz UI
- Processor: 1.5GHz quad-core & 2.1GHz quad-core Processors (Exynos 7420)
- GPU: Mali-T760
- Memory: 3 GB RAM
- Colours: White Pearl, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Blue Topaz
- Dimension: 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm
- Weight: 138 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM
- Display: 5.1-inch Super AMOLED Display, 1440 x 2560 pixels (577ppi)
- Display Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Rear Camera: 16 MP Camera, 2160p ultra HD (4k), 1080p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, OIS, Panorama, Autofocus, Geo-tagging, Face Detection, HDR
- Front Camera: 5 MP Camera, HDR, 1080p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: 115GB free OneDrive
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes, up to 48kbps
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes, up to 21Mbps
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 300Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 4.1 with A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: Yes, microUSB 2.0 (MHL 3), USB Host
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: IMAP4, POP3, SMTP
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- Maps: Yes, Google Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (PayPal Certified)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes, Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 2550 mAh Li-ion Battery (Non-removable)
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
More on Samsung devices
- Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016)
- Samsung Galaxy Phones
- Best Android Phones
- Samsung Android Phones Price