Canon, being a leading figure in the manufacturing of optical instruments (particularly digital cameras) has officially announced and launched its pioneering a full-frame mirrorless camera and lens system, called the Canon EOS R.
The Canon EOS R full frame camera is the first full-frame mirrorless camera and lens system from Canon, and it comes not too long after Nikon unveiled its Z-series full-frame mirrorless camera system consisting of the Z7 and Z6 mirrorless cameras.
Although self-acclaimed, the all-new Canon’s EOS R system is said to have the fastest autofocus (0.05 seconds) in the world and out-of-the-world low light (as low as -6EV) focusing.
Canon EOS R Full-frame Mirrorless Camera Key features
- 30.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor
- Weight — 660g (with battery)
- Digic 8 processor
- Phase-difference detection system with 5,655 Dual Pixel AF points
- Customisable M-Fn Bar
- ISO 100-40,000 (expandable to ISO52-102,400)
- 3.15-inch fully articulating touchscreen, 2.1 million dots
- 0.5-inch EVF, 3.69million dots, 0.71x magnification
- Dust and weather resistant body
- 8fps burst shooting
- Single SD card slot
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS-enabled
- 4K UHD video up to 30fps (with IPB or ALL-I)
- 1080p (FullHD) video up to 60fps
- 720p (HD) video up to 120fps
- Battery type — LP-E6N battery with in-camera USB charging
- Battery life — CIPA-rated 540 shots eco mode (550 in power saving), 370 shots LCD screen (450 in power saving), 350 shots EVF (430 in power saving)
Launched with the EOS R is a new RF lens-line up consisting of four lenses:
• RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM model (83.5mm × 107.3mm / 700g) — a general purpose lens suitable for imges and videos. Features include 5-stops of image stabilisation and fast, smooth and quiet focusing.
• RF 28-70mm f/2L USM model (103.8mm x 139.8mm / 1,430g) — A smooth standard zoom lens with smooth autofocus capability, silent shooting, the world’s first large-aperture full frame compatible standard zoom lens
• RF 50mm f/1.2L USM model (89.8mm x 108.0mm / 950g) — Made for everyday professional use, this lens produces super bright images with the highest image quality when used on the EOS R system.
• RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro model (74.4mm × 62.8mm / 305g) — the smallest, lightest, and cheapest lens of the group. This is a wide-angle lens with compact size great for low-light photography. It also comes with 5 stops image stabilization.
The all-new RF lens line-up builds on Canon’s optical excellence and heritage, whilst the accompanying accessories offer photographers and filmmakers greater creative and customisation options than ever before.
Users who already have an arsenal of other Canon lenses won’t have to worry about shelling out cash for new lenses to use with the EOS R. Canon launched the mirrorless beauty with a ‘Mount Adapter’ accessory for EF and even EF-S lenses support on the EOS R.
There is another adapter called the Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R which is customizable and comes with a dedicated control ring to adjust aperture, shutter, ISO, and a couple of other settings.
The last adapter is the Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R to allow users to add a variable ND and polarise filters into optical paths.
One downside to the EOS R camera adapters is that it doesn’t —due to the dimension of the camera’s mount— support EF-M lenses found on APS-C EOS-M cameras. Another disappointing thing aspect of the Canon’s new EOS R full frame mirrorless camera is its lack of In-body Stabilization (IBS) (or In-body Image Stabilization (IBIS)).
Although 2 of the newly introduced EOS R lenses (24-105mm f/4L and 35mm f/1.8) have an 5 image stabilization feature, it cannot be completed to inherent image stabilization.
To think Nikon’s new Z6 and Z7 mirrorless cameras come out-of-the-box with IBS/IBIS, the absence of the feature on the EOS R might actually be a deal breaker for some buyers in the market for a new top-of-the-line mirrorless camera.
Other interesting feature of the EOS R are dual-pixel autofocus sensor laced with Canon’s DIGIC 8 image processor, a touchscreen, an OLED electronic viewfinder, and an information panel on the top of the camera.
Canon EOS R Pricing and Availability
Pre-order of the Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless camera kicked off September 12 but sales won’t commence until October 9. The following are the prices Canon is offering the new camera and its accessories:
• EOS R body – $2299
• EOS R body and mount adapter – £2,349.99/ €2,729.99
• EOS R body, mount adapter and RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens – £3,269.99/ €3,819.99
• EOS R and RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens – $3399
The lenses and adapters will be sold as follows:
• RF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens – £2,349.99/ €2,729.9
• RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens – £1,119.99/ €1,319.99
• RF 28-70mm f/2L USM lens – £3,049.99/ €3,549.99
• RF 35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM lens – £519.99/ €599.99
• Mount adapter EF-EOS R – £99.99/ €119.99
• Control mount ring adapter EF-EOS R – £199.99/ €239.99