The Lenovo ThinkPad P72 is the latest entrant into Lenovo’s P70-series of ThinkPad notebooks. The workstation brings on board redefined aesthetical properties (read: slimmer chassis and more) as well as upgrades in terms of processor and overall performance. This is as result of the internal configuration of Intel Core CPUs, NVIDIA’s new Quadro Graphics for professionals and Xeon hardware. When compared to its predecessors like the ThinkPad P70 and ThinkPad P71, Lenovo made a beast out of this one — the ThinkPad P72.
Where to Buy Lenovo Thinkpad P72
Lenovo Thinkpad P72 Key Specs & Features
- Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro
- 32GB, 64GB, 128GB RAM
- Up to 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 6 Core Processor, Up to Intel® Xeon 6 Core Processor
- 17.3-inch FHD IPS, anti-glare, 1920 x 1080, 17.3-inch UHD 4K IPS, anti-glare, 3840 x 2160
- upto 2TB, 1TB Storage
- 416 x 281 x 24.5-29.4 mm
- Black Color
- 6 cell, 99 Whr
The Lenovo ThinkPad P72 was released alongside the ThinkPad P1, which is Lenovo’s thinnest and lightest PC yet. The ThinkPad P72 is nonetheless relatively slim, light, and does justice to the word ‘portable’ when compared to other ThinkPads but not anywhere close to the ThinkPad P1. Listed below are the highlight specifications of the ThinkPad P72.
Lenovo ThinkPad P72 Key Specs
- Display: 17.3-inch IPS FHD IPS/4K UHD IPS with anti-glare and 300/400 nits brightness
- Dimension: 416mm x 281 mm x 24.5mm-29.4mm
- Weight: 3.4 Kg
- Webcam: 720p webcam with IR for Windows Hello
- Memory: up to 128 GB DDR4
- Storage: up to 6TB
- CPU: Intel’s 8th Generation Core or Xeon processors with six cores.
- Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P5200 with 16 GB of GDDR5X
- Ports: 3 x USB 3.1 Type A, 2 x USB 3.0 Type C, HDMI 2.0, Audio jack, Gigabit Ethernet, Mini DisplayPort 1.4, Intel ThunderBolt 3 USB-C, 4-in-1 SD card reader
On first look at the Lenovo ThinkPad P72, it fully resonates and perfectly aligns with how Lenovo designs it ThinkPad: black body covering with a ‘ThinkPad’ inscription at the top corner on the rear. The bottom chassis is almost as flat as the top lid and it plays host to a number of ports that are spread across the rear, left, and right side. Two metal hinges joins the top and bottom chassis together in the same style as the ThinkPad A285 and ThinkPad T580.
Keyboard is cozy and perfectly sized for casual use or professional typing. It is also backlit, comes with a dedicated numpad, and the ThinkPad native rubber TrackPoints between the G, H, and B keys. A fingerprint reader for Windows Hello authentication is embedded neatly beside the touchpad.
To achieve the ultra-slim design on this device, a couple of trade-offs were made. First, unlike most ThinkPads (except the slimmer ThinkPad P1), the DVD drive has been removed. The mechanical docking port native to ThinkPad laptops has also been axed and replaced with a ThunderBolt 3 based dock.
The Lenovo ThinkPad P72 sports a 17.3-inch screen with IPS LCD panels but is available in two options based on display quality, brightness level, touchscreen, resolution, an colour depth. The base variant comes with Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) resolution and 300 nits brightness. This model is the cheaper variant and uses less battery power.
The more expensive model, on the other hand, is a non-touch variant with 4K UHD (3840 × 2160 pixels) resolution and 400 nits brightness.
Processor and Storage
On the inside, the Lenovo ThinkPad P72 comes with a massive boost as it features Intel’s new Hexa-core chipsets with Xeon and Core options. In addition, maximum memory capacity has also doubled up as the ThinkPad P72’s DDR4 can be configured up to 128GB. The Lenovo workstation comes is integrated with Intel UHD Graphics 620 coupled with NVIDIA’s latest Quadro (P600, P2000, P3200, P4200 up to P5200) discrete graphics with up to 16GB of GDDR5X memory.
The Lenovo ThinkPad P72 is reportedly made for business individuals in field (like automotive, oil and gas, as financial industries) where powerful processors and graphics are required on their notebooks for everyday runnings.
Running the Windows 10 Pro operating system out-of-the-box, users can likewise choose to have their Lenovo workstation run a different OS: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, Ubuntu Linux, or Red Hat Linux. Per built-in storage, users can also customize SSD storage up to a whopping 6 Terabytes, based in preference and financial capacity.
To make the ThinkPad P72 even more stunning, Lenovo embedded the biggest battery a laptop can ever have (according to Airline regulations) into the workstation. On board is a 6-cell 99Wh battery (and 230W external power supply) that can conveniently power the P72 for up to 18 hours!
The Lenovo ThinkPad P72 has a starting price of $US 1,799 and goes higher as you configure display, internal storage, RAM, graphics unit, operating system and a couple of other specs.
Lenovo Thinkpad P72 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Lenovo Thinkpad P72:
- OS: Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro
- Processor: Up to 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 6 Core Processor, Up to Intel® Xeon 6 Core Processor
- GPU: NVIDIA® Quadro® P600 4 GB
- Memory: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB RAM
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 416 x 281 x 24.5-29.4 mm
- Weight: 3.4kg
Display & Keyboard
- Display: 17.3-inch FHD IPS, anti-glare, 1920 x 1080, 17.3-inch UHD 4K IPS, anti-glare, 3840 x 2160
- Keyboard: –
- Pointing Device: –
- Built-in Storage: upto 2TB, 1TB
- Optical Storage: –
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Webcam: –
- USB Ports: Yes, USB 3.1
- HDMI: Yes, HDMI 2.0
- Thunderbolt Ports: Yes, Intel Thunderbolt™ 3
- DisplayPort: Yes, Mini DisplayPort™ 1.4
- VGA: –
- Ethernet (RJ-45): Yes, Gigabit Ethernet
- SD Slot: Yes, 4-in-1 SD card reader
- Mic/Headphone: –
- WLAN: Yes, Intel® 9560 vPro™ 802.11 AC (2 x 2)
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0
- NFC: –
- Docking Connector: –
- Mobile Broadband: –
- Touch Fingerprint Reader
- Windows Hello with IR camera
- 3.5 mm audio combo jack
- Lenovo Vantage
- 4-in-1 SD card reader
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Mini DisplayPort™ 1.4
- Intel Thunderbolt™ 3
- Microsoft Office 2016 (trial)
- Battery: 6 cell, 99 Whr
- Use Time: up to 18 hours