The A5 is a getting an upgrade in the Oppo A5 (2020). While other manufacturers are bolstering their line-up for the current year, Oppo is one who has started to live in the future already, and they bring an android phone with the 2020 nomenclature to prove just that to us.
Dubbed the Oppo A5 (2020), it will be observed that this will be an improvement over the Oppo A5 which has launched sometimes in the past.
How much of an improvement that is, is what we are about to find out in this review?
Oppo A5 (2020) Key Specs and Features
- 6.5 inch IPS infinity-V Display, 720 x 1600 pixels (270 ppi), 480 nits
- Octa-core Qualcomm SDM665 Snapdragon 665 (11 nm)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); ColorOS 6.0
- 3GB RAM or 4GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB Built-in Storage, up to 256GB memory card
- 12MP + 8MP + 2MP + 2MP Quad Rear Camera and 8MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE (up to 400 Mbps downloads)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear)
- Colours – Mirror Black, Dazzling White
- 5000 mAh non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh battery; Power bank/Reverse charging
Design and Display
Anything less than 6 inches of screen will soon look awkward as smartphones continue to offer massive displays. So we love that the Oppo A5 (2020) comes with a 6.5-inch IPS display. However, the screen material is LCD when we could have had OLED instead.
If that can be overlooked, users will love the almost bezel-less screen which allows up to 82% screen to body ratio – all thanks to the chin taking up more space than it should for a device like this.
On the sides of the Oppo A5 (2020), we have the usual power buttons and volume rockers. There is nothing else so special as to deserve attention there, so we move to the base of the phone.
Here, we see the microUSB slot for charging and connecting to devices, as well as a speakerphone grille and microphone.
Oppo has decided to keep the 3.5mm jack on their creation, and we appreciate them for that. More than that, though, we also love the simplistic arrangement of the quad cameras on the back of this device.
That almost makes us forget that the rear panel is made of plastic, but that is as good as it is going to get on a budget device like this.
Below the cameras is a familiar cut out for the fingerprint sensor and dedicated LED flash for the cameras.
While we are here, it is worthy of note that the Oppo A5 (2020) will come in colour options of Mirror Black and Dazzling White – unless the OEM decides to introduce more colours as the production line advances.
For a device in this price range, we would not have expected to have a triple camera setup, talkless of a quad-camera array.
But then, that is just what we have in all of the main 12 megapixels sensor for wide imaging and the ultrawide 8 megapixels sensor. They are followed by a 2MP depth sensor and a final 2MP shooter which we don’t have its designated function yet.
Looking at every other possibility, this could be the telephoto lens aimed at boosting portrait shots on the Oppo A5 (2020).
To better capturing in low light situations, the rear cameras come with their own LED flash system, but the same courtesy was not extended to the 8MP selfie shooter up front. However, selfie lovers will appreciate the fact that this sensor comes with HDR capabilities.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Under the hood of the Oppo A5 (2020) lies Android 9 Pie which has been adapted to the in-house Color OS 6. This Operating system will work with options of 3GB or 4GB of RAM, depending on which option of the phone a user opts for.
The kind of RAM that comes with the phone also determines if users will be getting 64GB or 128GB storage space out of the box.
However, decisions should not be made on the storage only since there is a dedicated card slot which allows users get as much as an extra 256GB to their name.
All the operations on the device will be run by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 chipset developed under the 11nm process. It would not be as fast or energy efficient as the new ones, but it will get the job done for the Oppo A5 (2020).
To round it all up, we have a massive 5000mAh battery keeping the lights on. There is no evidence of fast charging on board, but that does not mean the device will charge at snail speeds either.
Making things even better, the phone can serve as a power bank to reverse charge other units. Due to the lack of a glass back, though, wireless charging or reverse charging won’t be possible.
Oppo A5 (2020) Price and Availability
Oppo A5 (2020) price in Nigeria is expected to start at around 65,000 Naira. In India, Oppo A5 (2020) is expected in October starting at Rs. 12,499.
When available, you can buy the smartone at leading online stores near you. Oppo made the announcement of their A5 (2020) in September, but they are yet to release the device to the market.
Going by market rumblings, the price of the phone should not exceed $210 – all other things being equal.
Oppo A5 (2020) Specs
Here are a few specs of the Oppo A5 (2020):
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); ColorOS 6.0
- Processor: Octa-core Processor: 2.0GHz Kyro 260 Gold and 1.8GHz Kyro 260 Silver (Qualcomm SDM665 Snapdragon 665 (11 nm))
- GPU: Adreno 610
- Memory: 3GB RAM / 4GB RAM
- Colours: Mirror Black, Dazzling White
- Dimension: 163.6 x 75.4 x 9.1 mm
- Weight: 195 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.5 inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 720 x 1600 (270 ppi), 16M colors, 480 nits, 1500:1 contrast
- Screen Protection: Glass Cover
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 12MP + 8MP (ultra wide) + 2MP (depth) + 2MP Quad Camera, [email protected] 4K Video, [email protected] Video
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, PDAF, HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 8 MP Camera, HDR
- Built-in Storage: 64GB / 128GB
- Memory Card Support: microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7, 8(900), 20, 28, 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes (up to 400 Mbps)
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: microUSB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 5000 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery; Power bank/Reverse charging
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: –