Of all the flagship devices that were released by Huawei this year, the best and top of the line of the bunch has to be the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G. 5G connectivity is perhaps the greatest selling point of the device.
Where to Buy Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G
Of course, this looks and feels like the ordinary Mate 30 Pro, but the 5G option that it brings on board makes it a darling of those looking to enjoy this feature in their devices.
If that sounds like you, or you are just interested in what this phone has to offer, stick with us as we unveil the mysteries that this one brings to the market for us.
Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.53 inch OLED Display, 1176 x 2400 pixels, (409 ppi density), HDR10
- Android 10; EMUI 10, 8GB RAM
- Octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+), Mali-G76 MP16
- 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, up to 256GB Memory Card
- 40MP + 8MP + 40MP + 3D ToF Quad Rear Camera
- 32MP + 3D ToF Dual Front Camera
- Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum frame
- 4G LTE
- 5G Network Support
- Fast Wireless Charging (27W Capacity)
- 40W Fast Charging Capacity
- IP68 Dust and Water Resistant
- 4500 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
One thing you will notice is that the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G is built the same way we have the Mate 30 Pro. Thus, we have the same curved screen of about 6.53 inches carrying a notch on the top.
That allows us access to a massive 94% of the screen when compared to the body of the phone, which is more impressive than what the non-5G option of the smartphone brings on board.
This is followed by Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection which can be found on the front and back of the device. The back is treated the same way since it is also made of glass.
This glass treatment allows the various colour options – Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple and Emerald Green – stand out even better.
Perhaps another difference between this one and every other unit in this series comes in the way of the addition of two extra colour options – Orange and Forest Green.
While that might interest some users, the lack of a 3.5mm jack will not sit well with others. Although the device does well with its stereo speakers, you will have to get some wireless earbuds or Bluetooth headset if you will enjoy private audio sessions with the device.
That said, the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G retains the USB Type C reversible connector which is flanked by speakerphone and microphone on the base. Like the device which it is modelled after, we don’t have volume rockers on the side but embedded into the screen.
That is the same for the fingerprint sensor which has gone optical and under the screen for this year. This frees up space in the back for the total four cameras which will be handling the main imaging and video needs.
Following from the last line above, Huawei brings the same quad-camera setup on the Pro version to this unit. Thus, we start off with a main 40MP snapper which is capable of wide mage capturing, followed by an 8MP sensor for telephoto purposes.
Of the other two, we have yet another 40MP sensor which will take care of ultrawide pictures and a final 3D ToF camera for better depth sensing.
The same 3D ToF sensor can be found on the front of the device, keeping the bigger 32MP sensor company. It is believed that this ToF sensor will help improve the Face ID which comes with this device, as well as contribute to getting better portrait pictures on the front.
If those sound like things you would like to have, the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G device brings just that to the table for you.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Huawei has always loved to use their own chipsets, so we have the high-powered Kirin 990 chipset inside the device. Like the others, there won’t be an entry 6GB RAM model – so this unit will only be offered in the 8GB RAM options globally.
The only difference would be in the storage space where users can decide to pick either the 128GB or 256GB storage options. You should not let memory space be a tough decision though since there is a nano memory slot to allow you to expand the space up to 256GB again.
Looking away from the configurations, we have already mentioned the inclusion of Face ID. What we have not talked about is that this device will use the Android 10 out of the box, and it has been emulated as EMUI 10.
Even though Huawei still uses Android, though, the phone will not have standard Google apps – Gmail, Calendar, Chrome, etc – out of the box. Unfortunately, users will not be able to download them to the devices either, but we hope that changes soon.
If you are willing to look past that, you will find the included 4500mAh battery is just more than able to handle all of your needs. That is coupled with an impressive 40W fast charging capability, so you don’t even have to wait on the battery to get charged.
The most interesting thing about the battery is that it can reverse-charge other devices. These other devices have to be in support of wireless charging too, but we don’t recommend this will be a fast charging option.
Speaking of fast charging, wireless charging on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G happens at an impressive 27W.
Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G Price and Availability
Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G starts at around 1199 EUR. Every unit in this series might have been launched, but they have not been made available to the market yet.
We expect that the first batch of the phones will be made available starting from October, so it is a waiting game till then.
To those who will like to take advantage of the 5G capabilities of this device, be willing to shell out the following prices:
• Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G (128GB) – N/A
• Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G (256GB) – N/A
Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G:
- Platform: Android 10; EMUI 10
- Processor: Octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 990 ( 2.86GHz dual-core Cortex-A76 + 2.36GHz dual-core Cortex-A76 + 1.95GHz quad-core Cortex-A55) (7 nm+)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple, Emerald Green, Orange, Forest Green
- Dimension: 158.1 x 73.1 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 198 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Hybrid Dual SIM
- Display: 6.53 inch OLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1176 x 2400 pixels (409 ppi density), 18.5:9 ratio, HDR10, 16M colors
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: –
- Rear Camera: 40MP (wide) + 8MP (telephoto) + 40MP (ultrawide) + 3D ToF sensor Quad Camera, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], [email protected], gyro-EIS
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR, PDAF, OIS, 3x Optical Zoom
- Front Camera: Dual – 32MP + 3D ToF sensor, [email protected]
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB / 512GB
- Memory Card Support: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 9(1800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
- 5G: Yes, 5G band 1(2100), 3(1800), 28(700), 38(2600), 41(2500), 77(3700), 78(3500), 79(4700); NSA/Sub6 (SIM1 only)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB 3.1, USB Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4500 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Fast battery charging 40W; Fast wireless charging 27W