The Huawei Mate 30 Pro follows the same design philosophy as the smaller Mate 30, and it also brings the same problems on board. For one, you cannot use Google apps on the device due to the ongoing trade war, but we hope that gets cleared up soon.
Besides that little glitch, though, you get all the makings of a true flagship in this one. If what you have seen with the standard Mate 30 did wow you, wait till you see how the Pros handle this game.
Where to Buy Huawei Mate 30 Pro
Huawei Mate 30 Pro Key Specs and Features
- 6.53 inches, OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum frame
- Configurations – 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, UFS3.0
- Quad rear camera – 40MP + 8MP + 40MP + 3D ToF sensor
- Android 10; EMUI 10
- HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+), Mali-G76 MP16
- Colours – Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple, Emerald Green
- Non-removable Li-Po 4500 mAh battery
Design and Display
The first thing worthy of note here is that this screen is a bit smaller than what we have on the Mate 30. At 6.53 inches, the curved edges of the OLED screen look just as nice here, giving way to the back where we have the same glass treatment.
Both sides of the Huawei Mate 30 Pro gets a Corning Gorilla Glass 6 treatment to protect against scratch and breakages – but that does not mean they should be handled anyhow either.
Moving on from that, we have an aluminium frame which is surely lacking in side volume buttons.
This year, Huawei has decided to go for virtual controllers embedded in the screen – and that makes for a nicer UI and overall cleaner feel. Even though it would take a while to get used to, it does contribute to the beauty of the unit.
The volume rockers are not the only things missing here, though, with Huawei opting to ditch the 3.5mm jack on the Pro unit. Speaking of beauty, you can choose to have the Huawei Mate 30 Pro in any of Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple or Emerald Green.
No matter which of the colours you pick, you get a massive quad-camera setup on the back – and they do come with a dedicated LED flash system. This is in addition to the further dual-camera system on the front of the device.
Rounding off the aesthetics of this unit is the massive notch – by current standards, that is – which is still on the front of the device. At a time when we could have had the waterdrop style notch, or a hole punched into the screen like with the Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, this could have been improved too.
A total of 6 cameras ship with the Huawei Mate 30 Pro, and they are all as interesting as they come. The front of the unit has a notch which houses the 32 megapixels main snapper backed up by a 3D ToF sensor.
The latter sensor will not only help put more depth in images, but greatly improve the operations of the Face ID which ships with this smartphone.
Although the selfie camera can capture HDR and panorama shots, we don’t see a LED flash in sight.
The rear cameras make up for this by coming with a dual-tone, dual-LED flash of their own. That is just worthy of a 40MP main unit for wide shots flanked by an 8MP telephoto shooter, another 40MP ultrawide sensor and a final 3D ToF camera too.
All of these will surely combine to produce some of the best mobile photography shots in the market today.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
Huawei continued its tradition by using a HiSilicon Kirin 990 chipset manufactured under the highly efficient 7nm+ process for this top of the line device. That should do well to ensure the massive 4500mAh battery is properly managed, as well as the handling of other tasks too.
Even if the chipset were not helping to optimise the battery, a 40W fast charging capability means you don’t have to wait long to get juiced up. Wireless charging fans will love the 27W rating on the Huawei Mate 30 Pro, as well as the ability of the phone to function like a power bank – reverse charging other units wirelessly.
There are only 8GB RAM options for this device, but they can be picked up in storage options of either 128GB or 256GB. For users who want more storage, a shared microSD card slot can take an additional 256GB.
Huawei Mate 30 Pro Price and Availability
Huawei Mate 30 Pro price in Nigeria starts at around 345,000 Naira for the 128GB model and 420,000 Naira for the 256GB model. The Huawei Mate 30 Pro recommended retail price is €1,099 (435,000 Naira) for the 256GB model.
If you are one of the potential buyers, though, you should be saving towards the purchase according to these initial pricing estimates:
• Mate 30 Pro (128GB) –
• Mate 30 Pro (256GB) –
Huawei Mate 30 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei Mate 30 Pro:
- Platform: Android 10; EMUI 10
- Processor: Octa Core HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple, Emerald Green
- Dimension: 158.1 x 73.1 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 198 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Hybrid Dual SIM
- Display: 6.53 inch OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 40MP (wide) + 8MP (telephoto) + 40MP (ultra wide) + 3D ToF Quad Camera, [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], [email protected] Videos
- Rear Camera Features: Leica optics, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR, PDAF, 3x Optical Zoom, OIS
- Front Camera: 32MP + 3D ToF sensor Dual Camera, [email protected] Video
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4500 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 40W Fast Battery Charging, 27W Fast Wireless Charging