The Huawei Mate 30 is a successor of the Mate 20. This has been a very interesting year for Huawei – especially given the fact that they were almost booted off the Android platform.
Where to Buy Huawei Mate 30
Even in the midst of all that, though, they came out strong with four new devices for the top shelf – the Mate 30, Mate 30 Pro, Mate 30 5G and Mate 30 Pro 5G.
All of these units are flagship materials in their own way, but they are also as different as they are alike. That is why we take out the time to see what the standard Mate 30 has to offer us.
Huawei Mate 30 Key Specs and Features
- 6.62 inch OLED Display, 1080 x 2340 pixels (389 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR10
- Android 10; EMUI 10
- Octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+) CPU, Mali-G76 MP16 GPU
- 40MP + 8MP + 16MP Triple Rear Camera
- 24MP + ToF sensor Dual selfie camera
- Configurations – 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, UFS3.0
- Colours – Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple, Emerald Green
- 40W Fast Charging Capacity
- 27W Fast Wireless Charging Capacity
- 4200 mAh Li-Po Non-removable Battery
Design and Display
The first thing that stands out here is on the curved 6.62-inch screen, and that is nothing more than the notch. Huawei is one of the brands that first adopted the waterdrop notch style, so we don’t know why they would go for a larger one here.
This effectively brings the screen to body ratio of the Huawei Mate 30 to about 88%. That is still impressive, but it could have been more.
If we are willing to look past that, we will see that this is a beautiful OLED capacitive touchscreen on the front, and the Huawei Mate 30 will be using glass on the back for premium treatment too.
After seeing the camera on the back, a fingerprint sensor is obviously missing. That is because Huawei has chosen to move that under the screen for this year.
Besides all the normal buttons on the side of the unit (power and volume rocker keys), we are glad to get the 3.5mm jack on this device.
At a time when other manufacturers are taking it off – mainly to sell their earbuds – we love that it is still available here.
Finally, the design of android phone is rounded off in the colour options we get it in – Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple and Emerald Green.
We did mention that the Huawei Mate 30 has three cameras on the back, and they all clock in with sensors rated 40MP, 8MP and 16MP.
The first sensor is the main unit and it is capable of taking wide shots. When it comes to ultrawide pictures, though, the second 16MP sensor kicks into play.
For the smallest one, telephoto operations have been designed. This will most likely be the one to focus on the portrait mode pictures that this device will be taking.
To better the chances of a cleaner image in low light, users get a dual-LED, dual-tone flash with the unit. We would have loved to get a quad LED flash instead since those tend to be brighter. At the end of the day, though, it all boils down to the camera aperture.
Looking at the front of the Huawei Mate 30, we have a 24MP selfie snapper waiting to go. Beside that is a 3D ToF sensor which we believe will handle the detailing and depth of selfie cameras. In other words, there will be some portrait mode features on the front too.
We don’t get a dedicated LED flash here, so you might have to stay away from taking selfies in low light.
Hardware, Software and Other Features
It is no news that Huawei likes to keep most of the parts and OS in-house, so the use of a Kirin 990 chipset should not be surprising. This chipset will compete with the best from Qualcomm and Samsung since it is also made on the highly efficient 7nm+ process.
On top of that, we have the all-new Android 10 shipping with the smartphone. Of course, that has been emulated onto EMUI 10 already.
Users can pick up their Huawei Mate 30 in either 6GB or 8GB of RAM options, but they will all be getting the same 128GB storage space out of the box. If you want more, you can always use the hybrid SIM slot for up to 256GB of extra memory.
After all said and done, the selfie camera is not just there for pictures and videos, but brings Face ID on board too. Now, we don’t know how secure this is going to be, but it should be close to the success Apple has had with this tech.
Finally, a 4200mAh battery equipped with 40W fast battery charging should keep the lights on. Lovers of wireless charging options will appreciate the 27W capabilities of this functionality – which is what most phones today have their wired charging at.
Likewise, you can use this phone to reverse charge other devices like your earbuds, smartwatches and smartphones in support of wireless charging. This makes your Huawei Mate 30 a sort of power bank, should you need it.
Furthermore, know that the Mate 30 won’t be coming with any Google apps out of the box – and you won’t be able to install them either. The company might still be able to use the Android licence, but they cannot use some products from US companies for now
Huawei Mate 30 Price and Availability
Huawei Mate 30 price in Nigeria starts at around 235,000 Naira for the model with 6GB RAM. You can now buy the smartphone at a couple of online stores.
Depending on which configuration you are picking, below are the standard launch prices for the unit:
• Huawei Mate 30 (6GB) – N/A
• Huawei Mate 30 (8GB) – £710
Huawei Mate 30 Specs
Here are a few specs of the Huawei Mate 30:
- Platform: Android 10; EMUI 10
- Processor: Octa-core Processor: 2.89GHz dual-core Cortex-A76, 2.09GHz dual-core Cortex-A76, 1.86GHz quad-core Cortex-A53 (HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+))
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP16
- Memory: 6GB RAM / 8GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Space Silver, Cosmic Purple, Emerald Green
- Dimension: 160.8 x 76.1 x 8.4 mm
- Weight: 196 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM / Hybrid Dual SIM
- Display: 6.62-inch OLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1080 x 2340 pixels (389 ppi), 19.5:9 aspect ratio, HDR10 16M colors
- Screen Protection: Yes
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 40MP (wide) + 8MP (telephoto) + 16MP (ultrawide) Triple Camera, 2160p@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@960fps Videos
- Rear Camera Features: Leica Optics, Laser Autofocus, PDAF, dual-LED dual-tone flash, panorama, HDR, OIS, 3x Optical Zoom
- Front Camera: 24MP + 3D ToF sensor Dual Camera, HDR, 1080p@30fps Video
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: NM (Nano Memory), up to 256GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 6(900), 7(2600), 8(900), 9(1800), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100)
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: Yes
- USB Port: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Under Display, Optical)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes (with dedicated mic)
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4200 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: 40W Fast battery charging; 27W Fast wireless charging