The Google Pixel 3a is a lower and cheaper variant of the standard Google Pixel 3 that was launched ahead of the Pixel 4. It is a mid-range smartphone designed for pixel fans that desire a taste of the pixel experience, without having to deal with flagship prices. The Google Pixel 3a features a striking resemblance to its predecessor, almost similar camera hardware, midrange specs and lots more.
Google Pixel 3A Key Specs & Features
- 5.6-inch OLED Display, 1080 x 2220 pixels (550 ppi)
- Android 9.0 (Pie), upgradable to Android 10
- 4GB RAM
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 Processor
- 64GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP Rear Camera and 10MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE
- 3000 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po battery
The Design and Display
The Google Pixel 3A has a design that gives it a striking resemblance with its premium sibling the Google Pixel 3.
Being a lower-variant of Google Pixel 3, the Google Pixel 3A has got some shortcomings in its build. Instead of having gorilla glass on the rear, the Pixel 3a features a polycarbonate covering.
The rear covering continues the two-tone look its predecessor had. There is a glossy covering on top and a matte covering on the bottom.
On this rear covering, you will find a single camera, a camera flash, a capacitive fingerprint sensor, and the and Google’s “G” mascot, which indicates its a mobile phone manufactured by Google.
Google also reduced the quality of the frontal glass, instead featuring Corning Gorilla Glass 5 as the Google Pixel did, the Google Pixel 3A features an Asahi Dragontrail Glass. It may not be as tough as Gorilla Glass 5, but it certainly protects your device to some extent.
Google didn’t do away with the bezels the Pixel 3 had, instead they eliminated the notch and made the bezels bigger. In between these bezels, is a 5.6-inch OLED display, with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2200 pixels and a screen density of 550ppi.
The Google Pixel 3A comes has three color variants. If you desire to purchase the Google Pixel 3A, color options available to you include Just Black, Clearly White, Purple-ish.
Without a doubt, the major reason many people will purchase the Google Pixel 3a, instead of a more powerful smartphone like OnePlus 6, which falls in the same price range, is the camera quality of images they envisage will the camera will churn out.
It retains some of the camera goodness of its predecessor. The Android phone has the same camera hardware on the rear, but different selfie camera hardware. Instead of featuring dual front-facing cameras, it features a single front camera.
On the rear, the smartphone features a 12MP camera with an aperture of f/1.8. This camera lets you shoot photos in HDR and panorama.
Google Pixel 3a is also capable of shooting photos in night mode. For video recording, it lets you shoot 4k videos at 30fps, 1080p videos at 30,60 and 120fps.
The selfie camera is a single 8MP camera, with an aperture of f/2.0. Unlike the cameras on its predecessor, the wide-angle selfie feature isn’t supported here, this partly due to the fact that it’s a single camera.
Still, on things not present here, this camera doesn’t feature autofocus. Videos shot with this camera can go up to 1080p at 30fps.
Hardware and Software
As mentioned in the introductory paragraph, the Google Pixel 3a packs in mid-range specs. This was done intentionally, the make the handset a much more affordable smartphone. Specs featured here is geared towards allowing users carryout basic task without hassles.
The Google Pixel 3a packs in a mid-range Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 processor. This processor has clocks speeds of 2.0GHz and 1.7GHz. There is also an Andreno 615 graphics processing unit on this device.
It features a 4GB RAM and a 64GB of internal storage, with no option for micro-SD expansion. It is also home to a non-removable 3000mAh battery. The Google Pixel 3a has support for 18W fast charging.
On the software side, the Google Pixel 3a runs a stock Android user interface, on top of the Google Android 9.0 (Pie) operating system.
The Google Pixel 3a features a 3.5mm headphone jack, a USB Type C (USB 2.0), Dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 and Near field connection (NFC).
The Google Pixel 3a is a 4G smartphone. It has support for LTE band 3 and band 7. This means you will be able to use MTN, 9Mobile and Airtel 4G sim on this smartphone.
Google Pixel 3a Price and Availability
The Google Pixel 3a price in Nigeria is around 245,000 Naira. It is currently available for purchase in retail stores and can also be purchased from online retail stores that ship to your region.
Google Pixel 3a Specs
Here are a few specs of the Google Pixel 3a:
- Platform: Android 9.0 Pie, upgradable to Android 10
- Processor: Octa-core, 2.0 GHz dual-core Kyro 360 Gold & 1.7 GHz hexa-core Kryo 360 Silver (10nm Qualcomm SDM670 Snapdragon 670)
- GPU: Adreno 615
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Just Black, Clearly White, Purple-ish
- Dimension: 151.3 x 70.1 x 8.2 mm
- Weight: 147g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 5.6-inch, OLED capacitive touchscreen, 21080 x 2220 pixels (441 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Asahi Dragontrail Glass
- Rear Camera: 12.2MP Camera, f/1.8, 2160p @30fps, 1080p 30/60/120fps, (gyro-EIS)
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama
- Front Camera: 8MP Camera, 1080p @30fps
- Built-in Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: LTE-A (5CA) Cat 16 1024/75Mbps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, v5.0 with A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: USB Type-C 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265 player
- Video Player: MP4/DviX/XviD/H.265 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (rear)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 3000mAh Non-removable Li-Ion battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes